i just don't have the answer please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 11:06 PM
jcarr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post i just don't have the answer please help

1989 F150 4.9 liter only starts with a small shot of starting fluid once running it runs at a high idle when i try to acelarate it boggs down fuel pressure is 46 to 60 lbs and the throttle position sensor checks out fine i really have no clue whats wrong

Old 11-08-2002, 06:57 AM
Stephens
Senior User

You need to see if any codes have popped up. Think in areas of ignition, fuel, mechanical and engine/emission control. Fuel and mechanical problems may not generate codes or not as many, emisison and engine control will send alot of codes, ignition very few codes and mechanical (which is not your problem since its runs somewhat) will generate no codes unless its incidental.

So running the codes will tell you whether to check MAP, COMPUTER, EGR... or if no codes are present the rotor, coil... For some reason, I'm thinking your EGR is stuck wide open.

Old 11-08-2002, 05:34 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm thinking valve timing or ignition timing...

Old 11-08-2002, 09:51 PM
tmcalavy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post i just don't have the answer please help

Okay, you have spark and fuel cause it will start and run, but it idles high. Try this:
1.) Find and clean the IAC, idle air control valve...its the silver, cigar-tube looking device near where the air hoses go onto the manifold/plenum. It has a two wire electric connector. Disconnect the two wire plug, take it off and clean it out with carb cleaner. It gets carboned up inside and screws up your idle.
2.) Check your timing...I'm guessing its okay since it starts and runs. If it runs crappy aside from the idle, check and reset the timing.
3.) Get it running and unplug the MAP sensor hose at the manifold/plenum. The MAP sensor hose connects on the left of the plenum, on a tee where several hoses connect. It runs to the MAP sensor, up on the firewall to the left of the plenum/manifold. If it dies when you disconnect the hose, the MAP is good.
4.) Regardless of what you discover and how you solve the problem, go to this site and learn how to run the engine self test and pull the codes another member mentioned. All you need is a 50-cent jumper wire, and you'll learn a lot about your truck. The site is:
http://www.dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html
Let us know how it turns out.

Old 11-08-2002, 09:54 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Probably a vacuum leak. What condition is the manifold gasket in? What condition is the booster hose in? Your answer is probably in those two.

Jared

Old 11-08-2002, 10:46 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you turn the key to run without starting the engine, do you hear the fuel pump run for about 2 seconds? It should come on breifly before starting the engine to pressurize the rail, then shut off until the engine fires. I'm guessing you have a fuel management problem since it will start and run with starting fluid.

Old 11-10-2002, 12:11 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pull off the throttle body and have a look at the gasket. I'd bet it's sucked in causing a vacuum leak.

Old 11-10-2002, 06:27 PM
Chipster
Senior User