Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam bearings is it worth it

Old 03-19-2001, 02:24 AM
elsmith
Senior User

Is it worth the money to have new cam bearings installed when doing an overhaul? Also what is cleaned when the machine shop vats a block? I am trying to figure out how much I need to spend to get my engine running. So far a few things I added up come to about $360. Thanks Eric

Old 03-19-2001, 03:47 PM
dinosaurfan
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Eric, if you are trying for a low budget deal, you could leave the old cam bearings and reuse them. One of my engines was put together with all used bearings, it is doing fine. What you have to remember is that reusing your cam bearings will limit your choice of cleaning methods. Hot-tanking and Thermal cleaning will both destroy the bearings. Can you steam clean the block? This would also be a good time to fix your oiling system. DF

Old 03-20-2001, 12:26 AM
karljay
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the FE oils from pan to pump to filter to cam to mains and lastly to valve train. IF the cam bearings are in great condition, you could get by. I wouldn't do it myself, given the basic design of the FE oiling system, the cam bearing clearance is important, a leak at the cam bearing affects the mains too. The cost of new cam bearings should be about 30~50. You might be able to examine them for scraches and wear, or ask the machine shop to inspect them. Some shops won't do a partial rebuild, one I went to refused to do a re-ring (poor mans rebuilt just replace the rings and bearings)

If the engine is running, consider the oil pressure, if it's good that's a clue to good bearings.

Old 03-20-2001, 12:41 AM
elsmith
Senior User

I was looking at the very front one and it looks like someone cut it, it is cracked or it is two pieces. If I decide to fix the engine I will have them replaced. Is it okay to use the old pistons with new rings if the pistons and boars are in good shape? Thanks Eric

Old 03-21-2001, 01:32 AM
karljay
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pistons can be reused many times, as long as they are within spec. I paid a lot for my forged pistons and would not replace them unless I had to. I'd even throw away the block and get another block before I bought new pistons, because they are expensive and mine are matched and balanced to the flywheel (428 is external balance)

Look at the skirts, place the piston in the hole and try to rock it. Place the piston upside down in the hole until the skirt is about even with the deck, then use a feeler gauge to check clearance (compare to book specs) Try to rock the piston on the rods against the pin, it should have NO movement (rock don't slide) that last one is really a rod bushing check.

The other thing is that if the engine ran fine but had some blowby, a re-ring and new bearing, oil pump, valve job... might be all you need

Old 03-21-2001, 01:28 PM
elsmith
Senior User

Thanks karl the engine ran fine and didn't burn any oil after I put new valve seals on. I will do them test and see hope fully I can reuse the pistons. Eric

Old 05-10-2001, 04:52 AM
bigj
New User

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-May-01 AT 05:55 AM (EST)[/font][p]Cam bearings are not that hard to install. All you need is the right tools. If you don't have your own cam bearing remover/installer you can go to your local auto zone and rent one