Sponsored by: DP Tuner

power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 10:07 AM
mybigredford
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power steering fluid

hey guys, i had my power steering box replaced a few weeks back and was haveing trouble with the truck wandering, turns out that i have a bad box, so i am getting a new one put in this week, crossing my fingers that this one will work.

anyways my question is this, i know that our trucks take atf for the power steering pump, and i assume that that fluid runs through the steering box, but i noticed the other day looking at the bill from the shop that they used power steering fluid not atf to make up for the loss when changing the new box. should i be flushing out my steering system now or will everything be ok, and do i have to drive the truck to get the fluid warm before flushing it????

Old 09-22-2007, 02:17 PM
totin_tools
Elder User
I think I would be calling the shop up and asking them why they are using the wrong fluids when they changed it, and yes I would definately change it now before any items may develop. It takes a only takes a few quarts to flush and fill.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:44 PM
KrenzyRyan
Elder User
Wow, I did not know you aren't suppose to use power steering fluid, what's ATF? besides alcohol tobacco and firearms lol

Old 09-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
I just don't know what the exact diff is between Mercon and PS fluid. Both are pretty much hydraulic fluids but as far as mixing goes I cannot say. Different fluids have different properties and the hydraboost system operates both brakes and steering in our rig.

Blah blah, having said all that, I have topped mine off with power steering fluid before because I did not have any Mercon. I have been meaning to flush that. Among other things that I need to do.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:31 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 09-22-2007, 05:19 PM
totin_tools
Elder User
Maybe with the power steering fluid in it it doesnt have the cleaning properties needed as compaired to using atf fluid.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:03 PM
mybigredford
Elder User
do i have to drive the truck and warm up the fluid first before i flush it, or is cold ok, and also while the truck is running do i have to put the PS cap back on or will it not spray out while i am flushing it?

Last edited by mybigredford; 09-22-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:16 PM
JOE-M
Elder User
My first answer is no, but you are in British Columbia so maybe. If temps are above 70* don't worry about warming it first. You understand that this is a two person job and will be easier if you jack the tires off the ground. You won't need to replace the cap because you will be adding fluid constantly.

As to why power steering fluid doesn't work well, I don't know. I sucked out a quart one time and added synthetic power steering fluid and the pump started whining in a couple of days. I flushed it out and went back to transmission fluid and it stopped.
Joe

Old 09-23-2007, 02:39 AM
mybigredford
Elder User
Originally Posted by JOE-M
My first answer is no, but you are in British Columbia so maybe. If temps are above 70* don't worry about warming it first. You understand that this is a two person job and will be easier if you jack the tires off the ground. You won't need to replace the cap because you will be adding fluid constantly.

As to why power steering fluid doesn't work well, I don't know. I sucked out a quart one time and added synthetic power steering fluid and the pump started whining in a couple of days. I flushed it out and went back to transmission fluid and it stopped.
Joe
thanks for the info, gonna do it tommorow

Old 09-23-2007, 03:05 AM
Badluck
Senior User
yea mines making some noise i think im gunna do it tomorrow too and hopefully the atf will make it quieter

Old 09-23-2007, 07:42 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
For those who are interested, Redline oil makes a special high temperature ATF that is a bit thicker in viscosity.
I don't have any experience with it, just know that they offer it.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...8&categoryID=8

Last edited by Kwikkordead; 09-23-2007 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:35 PM
mybigredford
Elder User
hey i havent flushed my PS system yet, i was going to do it yesterday, but today is the day, do i have have to pump the brakes while turning the steering wheel or just hold average pressuer to the pedal and hold it there while truning the wheel, and how fast does the fluid come out??