6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Maual or Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:36 AM
shunshine X
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maual or Automatic

Hi there

I am looking to trade my 06 F350 dually for a new 08.

Now my "issue" that I have is that the automatic that I now have will always
drop a gear when going up a slight hill. (towing a 44ft enclosed trailer). This is ok, but I rather go up hill a few MPH slower and stay in the same gear.
Doing about 75mph

This is espiacially when tring to use the Cruise control because that is impossible. (when I set speed, it will drop about 4mph and then shift down to go 4mph to fast and than it will drop again. it would do this a few times, even on a flat surface).

Anyway, this is why I would like a manual tranny but I was wondering if they are as strong etc.

Any help would be good

Old 09-19-2007, 11:44 AM
97squarebody
Senior User
Hello all;
From what I understand, the gear box is very tough. The problem comes with the USE of the clutch. A torque converter is also functioning as a giant shock absorber for the drive train. With a stick shift, you lose that function. You can send massive shock waves through the drive train with a bad move on a clutch. Assuming you don't do any thing strange or abusive to it, a stick will generally out live an auto by several times.

As far as overall durability, I believe that a stick is actually a better, stronger, longer living gear box. You just have to shift it. I also realise that the TorqueShift tranny is a huge improvement over years past. As far as durability it is supposedly on par with the old C6's.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:56 AM
shunshine X
Freshman User
Thanks for that info!

It is not that I do not like the Automatic that I have in my 06. it is just not doing what I want when I want it

I think I would like it better that I can keep it in a little lower RPM and still use the torque.

The shifting part should not be a problem, I think I would like it better anyway (except in heavy traffic maybe).

Old 09-19-2007, 12:20 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that the manual is a much better transmission. I chose an automatic in mine and I am regretting it. I like it for driving around town but not for towing.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:47 PM
firehawk198
Elder User
I had standards in all my trucks. My last one a 99 350DRW V10. Did a lot of research on the new Ford Auto. It is an amazing Transmission. Found towing 16,650# to Va this summer over 1600 miles, left it in cruise on the way down. It would only downshift on steep hills. But like you said; set on 65 would drop to about 62, downshift and come back up to 67. On some real rolling hills on 17 in Va driving 50 it would shift up and down too much in cruise. On the way back from VA I did not put it in cruise and you could feel in the throttle and see the boost before it would want to shift just let off a little. I really like the tow mode on the downhills, it would downshift without even touching the brake. Using the brake and slowing down quickly it really did a nice job controlling the stop. Sometimes near the bottom I would rather have it upshift again to pickup a little speed for the uphill so I would just click it out of Tow mode. I was worried that I could not control my speed as well with the auto, but using it in and out of tow mode makes it a real joy driving. It is very smooth hauling the weight. I dislike most 4 speed autos. That was one reason why we bought an Armada over the Tahoe in 2006 was the difference in the transmission. Test drive a new 08 put some miles on it on some hills and use tow mode even if not towing it will still react different. If I am going down fairly steep hills around home mty I pop it into tow mode for it to help downshift and slow me down without using the brake. Ford did a real nice job combining the motor and transmission.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:38 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Firewhawk, I have used the tow haul mode too and enjoyed it except for coming down Stevens Pass here in Washington. I have actually locked up the rear wheels from the auto downshifting on its own and had the rear end start to come around. I don't care for the tow haul mode at all. I also believe it reduces the MPG quite a bit which an automatic should not do.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:59 PM
NORTHLAND06
Senior User
I bought auto in my F-450 I like it better than a manual transmission, because easier to back my trailer into a camping stop and auto can tow more than manual tran. if look at 08 owners manual they tell you can tow more and newer torgshift trans are better built than the older ones. I love my truck. I love the tow/haul mode I like it very much it tows my trailer with out anyproblems.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:51 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Northland, nice heads up on the towing differences per the manual. I think it is a bunch of BS that the auto can tow more than a manual but it definitely states it. I had heard the 450's were tuned differently than the 350's and I also noticed the higher gears are not offered in the manual transmission. It also only pertains to fifth wheel towing and not conventional towing.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:52 PM
WhiteEx
Senior User

Here is a link to a forum discussion about the new '08 trans; I found it very informative:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...automatic.html

I was always a manual trans guy, but I will be ordering my '08 F450 with the auto.

Good luck.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:52 PM
PoWeRsTrOkEdF250
Senior User
I have personally test drove both and I really like the 6 speed behind the 6.4 I have drove 7.3's 6.0's and the new 6.4 the 6.0 sucked because of the turbo lag the 7.3 was good and I wish mine had the 6 speed I was orignally looking for the 6 speed but I couldnt find one. I was gonna order a new 6.4 with the 6 speed after driving the F350 crew cab I test drove. It shifted great and there was no turbo lag. Id recommed the 6 speed if you want to control your shifts. I dont think you will be disapointed with it. When I buy another truck it will definately be a 6 speed manual

Old 09-19-2007, 11:29 PM
gotdiesel
Senior User
I have test drove both. I am working on making an order with my local ford house this week. F-350 SRW 4X4 6.4 powerstroke and 6 speed manual. Need I say more.

I am going from an e40d to this truck so I have never really towed with the torqshift. If you do decide to go with the manual just be ready to wait. I could not find one near what I wanted on any lot in Texas. Atleast this way I will get exactly what I want. Good luck. I am sure either one will make a great truck!

Old 09-19-2007, 11:33 PM
littledre1
Senior User
I have the 6spd and the only time that it really dives me nuts is when I'm driving in NYC traffic. Other then that rowing gears is fun and it's really great to be albe to keep the engine in just the right RPM when I'm towing.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:48 AM
firehawk198
Elder User
Originally Posted by littledre1
I have the 6spd and the only time that it really dives me nuts is when I'm driving in NYC traffic. Other then that rowing gears is fun and it's really great to be albe to keep the engine in just the right RPM when I'm towing.
Currious how the new 6 speed manual shifts. My 99 had a 5 speed manual, that was a gripe with mine. It would have done better with the 6. One thing I found it was real slow to shift between 1'st and 2'nd and was a bit clunky. I wouldn't expect it to be fast shifting like my 6 speed Firehawk. I do not know why they give lower tow rating with a manual either. I spent a lot of time building a spread sheet of comparing an auto and manual every 100 prms and found with the gearing in theory I could keep the manual in a better rpm torque on the hills. My V10 was rated at 9800# towing and I didn't know until this year when I scaled I was towing 16,650# with it. It screamed its heart out but on steep hills I could keep it at 55 mph in 3rd gear. My 450 I can keep it at any speed I want with out over pushing it. One thing with the manual I think your fuel milage would be at least 1+ mpg better.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:25 PM
1968gtcs
Senior User
I had the same dilemma when I went to order my 450. Manual or Auto? Both my previous 350 Duallys had the 6 speed hand shakers. Loved the 6 speed. The 6 speed seamed to have nice close shifting pattern. I never had problems in traffic with it. Then again bay area traffic is not the same as NY traffic. I would just put it in granny (1<SUP>st</SUP> gear) and let her creep along. I could get out and walk faster. My automatic seams like I am always on the brake. No granny gear to put her in. As Firehawk stated you will get a little better mpg out of a manual. With the tow haul mode on you will get a little worse mileage out of it do to no “coasting” ability that you would get when not in tow haul mode. Then again the tow/haul mode is intended when towing something and works very well. When I ordered my 450 I needed at least 20K towing out if it. The manual (4:30’s) was only good for 18K and detuned. I’m thinking the only weak link in the manual is the clutch. If Ford put a bigger clutch in the manual then the tow rating my go up. But then again you may need to have a “Poppie” like left leg. Getting the auto with this new 450 I am very happy with it. This tow/haul mode is great. I could set the cruse control with the tow/haul mode on and the truck would go up and over hills with no issue. It seamed to shift like my manuals would. Around 2000-2500 rpms depending on which gear you were in. It really had no problem keeping it in the correct gear for an extended amount of time. I put 10K miles on the truck pulling 19lbs up and over hills with no problems. The automatic in this truck seamed to mesh very nicely with the motor and drive train. It made the trip a very relaxing and enjoyable experience. My right arm and left leg were rather bored the whole trip.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Sonic Blues
Junior User
I, think with the advancements in this transmission, an auto is the only to go. But just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Maual or Automatic