Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Hot engine won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 12:39 PM
jdanders
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hot engine won't start

I have a 1987 F250 6.9, 4X4, four speed that I use mostly as a farm use truck. It starts really good when the engine has not been started for the day. It cranks strong and the engine turns over just 3 or 4 seconds and starts. If the engine is stopped before it reaches operating temp, it is easy to start again. However, if it has run long enough to reach operating temp, turn it off, then it won't hardly start again. It has to crank and crank, which I do not like to hear, due to damage to starter and engine. When trying to start it while hot, while cranking, the engine will turn over several times, then the next time it sounds like it almost starts, but doesn't. It is mostly stock except the exhaust. It has about 140,000 miles on the engine, and most of that is hauling or pulling heavy loads. I use Seafoam in the fuel during the summer and I think it is Diesel Power Products anti gel during the winter (on advice of local diesel mechanic, he says the Diesel Power stuff itself can gel inside the fuel tank during hot weather, I had never heard that before). As you can tell, the truck isn't run often, but it has a steel flatbed and great old work truck. I'm thinking it may be getting air in the fuel lines. Any ideals or helpful hints are greatly appreciated.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:24 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Air intrusion usually is worse when cold, at the very least, it would still have some problem starting cold.

Will it restart right after shutdown (hot engine)? Or do you have to wait a few minuites before it gets cranky on hot restart?

To check for fuel, disconnect the fuel return line at the top of the injector pump, if you see fuel drip out, then air leaks are not your problem. Also unscrew the fuel filter to make sure its full of fuel.

If that checks out, try to jump a 12v lead to the FSS (fuel shuttof solenoid) on the top ot the injector pump directly to the battery terminal. See if it will fire for you then.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:24 PM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JD read up on air intrusion...... http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/idi.htm

Old 09-18-2007, 10:54 PM
bobpat204
Junior User
good luck hope you can get yours going i am on my second rebuilt IP and still no help on the hot start problem i really dont think its an air intrusion problem as it can set over a weekend and fire up on the first crank and run great till its shut off hot and than theres no restarting it for a couple of hours,i have checked the the engine compression hot (as hot a i can stand to be in there) its the same as when cold i have 4 psi of pressure at the IP feed line hot or cold, i have used the car as a power source for the FSS when its hot all no help.i can pull any injector line off the injector hot and crank it over not a drop of fuel ever comes out when its hot. it spews large amounts of fuel out cold.i am very interested in the post hope you get yours going post how its going .and if you happen to find a source for NEW injector pumps please post. thanks

Old 09-19-2007, 09:20 AM
j-redsjeep
Junior User
if it wont start when hot that can be a sign the injection pump is on its way out. you can try poaring some cold water over it and see if it fires. but if the pump is getting heat soaked and not working you will need a rebuilt one soon.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:36 AM
somedude
Junior User
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%">Hello all I just had this problem with my truck start great cold and run good start right away after turning off wait 15 min won't start untill ip is cold

problem rotor and head in ip worn by dirty fuel and this will happen over time
these are the most expensive parts in the pump many rebuilders will reuse these worn parts if they just barely pass testing and then you the customer will pull your hair out wondering whats wrong thinking you have new parts.
Hard/no start when hot=worn expensive parts

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by somedude; 09-21-2007 at 03:12 AM.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:14 PM
wh336fire
Senior User
yup , what somedude said...me too...lol