Sponsored by:

Time for tires- Anyone tried these?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 11:26 PM
1948f1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for tires- Anyone tried these?

I am considering a set of Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors 265/75/16. Has anyone tried these? And do I really need an E rated tire on this truck if I will rarely tow anything and then it will be only a small boat or utility trailer.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:34 AM
IR8NOTCH
New User
I have the same tires ,but in 285/75/16. I like them alot. I have the D load range.They were on my psd X when I bought it,so I was concerned that the D was going to feel soft while towing my TT which is just under 10K lbs. They actually felt as stiff as previous E load tires that I have towed with in the past,and handled the load without a problem. Another tire that I have had great luck with is the Bridgestone Duller AT Revo's. They were on my previous tow vehicle,and wore like iron. They were also D load,but I don't have one complaint with them either. They only thing I did notice was a slight bit of tire noise. Nothing exterme though. The Wranglers are maybe just a tad bit quiter . They are both great tires,and ride excellent.
I hope this helps. Im sure others will chime in also.
Chris

Old 09-17-2007, 12:46 AM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had these on my last set. I liked the fact that they are E load, but i did not like the traction that they provided in the rain, and dirt. With those tires i have gotten stuck in very little mud. After that set, i bought the BFG all terrains load D 285/75/16. I do tow around 6,000 pounds. Compared to the good year silent armor, I love them. I have yet to get stuck with the BFG. The bfg improved my traction in the rain and dirt like no other. I wouldnt buy the silent armor unless it was a heavy duty tow vehicle that say little off road use.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:46 PM
GeorgiaX
Junior User
I have the 285's I put on a few months ago and I like them. I also had a set of these on my Z71 Tahoe, both from the factory (75K) and the replacement set. The load range is what I needed and the truck feels more stable when towing my 7500 pound travel trailer.

Last edited by GeorgiaX; 09-17-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:54 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
I wavered back and forth on the Silent Armors and the Bridgestone Revos when shopping back in May for my Excursion. I went with the Revos - 285's. Main differentiating point in my mind was the kevlar bands in the SA's that reportedly will allwo the tir eto get a flat spot if it sits for much more than one day. The Ex is my wife's vehicle, and she doesn't use it every day, so I didn't want her having to worry about the flat spot when starting out after having it sit a few days.

About the Revos - I love them. Outstanding traction, both wet and dry. They really hug the road like they're glued to it. I'm going to get the same tires for my truck when it's time.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:24 PM
nebmike
Senior User
I've also got 285 D-rated Revo's and of all the all-terrain and off-road tires I've owned over the years (on both heavy and light trucks *Jeeps*), they are by far my favorite. Traction is outstanding in all conditions, including heavy snow and rock trails here in the Colorado mountains. The wear very well if they're rotated regularly. I replaced a barely worn set of BFG A/T's with the Revo's and am MUCH happier -- especially on ice and snow. The BFG's were down right scary and they were the only tire I've ever hydroplaned with on any vehicle (3 times in 4 months - which is why I got rid of 'em). I just cant say enough good things about the Revo's -- and I really work my tires and do enough off-roading (yes, in an Ex) on the same trails to be able to compare how they perform in the same places/conditions. I also regularly tow an 8500lb trailer. Its the last tire I'll ever use as long as they make 'em and I can get them for my application.

I'm considering a set of Silent Armors on my F-250, but only because the choices are limited in 18" tires (they make a Revo, but not in D or E rated).

Good luck. You'll probably be happy either way.

Last edited by nebmike; 09-17-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:06 PM
1948f1
Senior User
Thanks for all the info. I am really leaning toward the Revos based on info you gave. I have BFG right now and they have heavy spots and will not balance well. Came with truck when I bought used. I have typically favored Bridgestone or Dunlop on prior vehicles. Had GY Wranglers years ago on a Mountianeer and hated them. I had heard and read good things about the new ones with Kevlar though. I think I will move to 285 based on what everyone says. Thanks.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:23 AM
ZBeeble
Senior User
I spent about 8 months thinking about getting new tires. I have been hauling staircases down to Bridgeport CT from up here in Ontario --- heavy loads in a large 24' cargo trailer.

Anyways... I finally got myself a new set of the Silent Armor (pro grade) 265/76R16. I can't be happier. They're quiet. They grab well in wet or mud. I want winter to come sooner.