Sponsored by: DP Tuner

1st diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 09:50 PM
survivor73
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st diesel

Well ya'll I am the owner of my first diesel truck, I just bought a 2003 F350 with the 7.3 diesel. Just ran my first tank thru it ( it had 94k when I got it) and was amazed 20.5 MPG ,and had amazing torque,that was 70% stop and go and no interstate and mt. My questions are what are the first things I should do as far as filters, oil, transfer case, rear end , transmission manual 5 speed w/od.I will be pulling a 30' 5th wheel travel trailer with it. and if I can expect that kind of MPG I will be driving it even more .I love the truck and have only had it three days.
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated, Also, I keep hearing talk of a chip being installed to adjust HP and economy ,it sounds as if it is well worth the price

Old 09-15-2007, 12:33 AM
cyclical
Junior User
congrats, these things are addictive.... I am new myself, so have no info on the chips etc. But looking forward for others to chime in and give some advice.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:45 AM
HighOctane
PMS: an obsession

Welcome to the FTE. Warning...This site will cost you money!!! PMS money that is, which is all good! I just got my truck last month and have learned so much from the fellas (and gals) on this site. Spent all my money too! Start with the gauges, (Pyrometer, Boost, Trans. Temp.) This will make sure you can monitor everything while you mod 'er up. Check these pages for common mods:

http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/mods.html

http://www.7point3.com/mods.aspx

Should keep you busy for a while.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:08 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Do not touch it if that is manually calculated MPG. If that is LieOmeter, then find out what you have going on by manual calculations.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:54 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by survivor73
Well ya'll I am the owner of my first diesel truck, I just bought a 2003 F350 with the 7.3 diesel. Just ran my first tank thru it ( it had 94k when I got it) and was amazed 20.5 MPG ,and had amazing torque,that was 70% stop and go and no interstate and mt. My questions are what are the first things I should do as far as filters, oil, transfer case, rear end , transmission manual 5 speed w/od.I will be pulling a 30' 5th wheel travel trailer with it. and if I can expect that kind of MPG I will be driving it even more .I love the truck and have only had it three days.
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated, Also, I keep hearing talk of a chip being installed to adjust HP and economy ,it sounds as if it is well worth the price
Congrats and welcome to FTE!!

You'll get a lot of opinions on the oil questions, but just about everyone here agrees on the DP Tuner. You won't believe what it will do to that truck!! I firmly believe in synthetics, so I change my stuff over to syn whenever the scheduled maint time comes due. I use Rotella T Syn 5W-40, simply because Wal-Mart usually stocks it and with the FL-1995 filter it costs me ~$75. The rear-end requires syn anyway, and I believe your tranny calls for ATF. I have the 4R100 (auto), but I had a manual in my Ranger and put syn ATF in it. Others will chime in I'm sure.

However, the first things I suggest is an exhaust system to lower your EGTs (especially since you'll be towing), a good intake (most here use the 6637, AIS, or AFE), set of gauges (you only "need" boost & EGT gauges, but there are other gauge choices out there that will fill your triple or quadruple A-pillar pod!!), and of course, the DP Tuner. If you shop around, you should be able to get all that stuff for a little over $1,000. I spent a little more and got LED lit gauges and stainless exhaust, but all that's up to you.

Welcome aboard and have fun!!!

Joe

Old 09-15-2007, 09:30 AM
indebt
Posting Guru
if your towing you'll want to do a tranny cooler of some type, alot here use the tru-cool max for great results http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=205

Old 09-15-2007, 12:49 PM
survivor73
New User
Boy did I get an ear full ,it will take me a week to digest all this . I sure appreciate all the quick responses. This is going to be as much fun ( and expensive) as house boating. The mileage I got was real . I had a GPS and the speedometer agreed . I did the filling up each time so I would do the same routine both times. I drove from here in Waverly Tn to Paducha Ky and back all good road but lots of little towns and the rest was just here and there.The fuel light came on at 498miles. It has been suggested to me that I should go ahead and change oil ,filter , air filter and change lub in rear end ,transfer case ,and front end, Do you all think it is nessasary to change all or just check them .
Right now most everything you all have told me is greek to me but I will learn so just bare with me if get to asking to many questions.
I am amazed how this thing runs ,I have always been told that diesel engines took a while to get up to speed ,but this thing is gone in an instant,,I love it

Old 09-15-2007, 01:06 PM
HighOctane
PMS: an obsession

Sounds like you found a gtreat truck. I too am happy with mine, but I'm sure I am not getting 20MPG. That would be amazing to do with 35" tires, 4x4 and a heavy foot on the DP Tuner!

Class is in session, enjoy the semester.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by indebt
if your towing you'll want to do a tranny cooler of some type, alot here use the tru-cool max for great results http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=205
He's got a manual. No cooler or tranny temp gauge required.

Joe

Old 09-15-2007, 04:30 PM
survivor73
New User
What is the small cooler that is located under the radiator , I thought that was the cooler for the transmission. I hope that sound to dumb

Old 09-15-2007, 06:35 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
That's the Power Steering cooler. The autos have a tranny cooler behind the AC condenser.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:41 PM
survivor73
New User
So with the manual transmission will I have any problems towing the 5th wheel. It weighs 10600

Old 09-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 779 Likes on 595 Posts
Originally Posted by survivor73
So with the manual transmission will I have any problems towing the 5th wheel. It weighs 10600
None whatsoever. The ZF-6 manual tranny has an oil cooler built into it with lines going to the bottom of the radiator. You can find them if you look under the truck on the starboard side of the bell housing.
Just change all the filters and fluids and you should be good to go.
If you feel like wrenching a little, pull the valve covers and retorque the rocker arm pedastals and injector hold down bolts. They do tend to loosen up over time.
There is lots of other stuff you can do, but for now read about all the mods on those other links provided.
I will add my own, I don't know if it's linked at the other two sites.
This mod will vastly improve the fuel supply to the injectors.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...-the-tank.html