Sponsored by: DP Tuner

No Start + bzzzzz

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 04:49 PM
TwelveAlpha
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Start + bzzzzz

Just went to go pick the kids up from grammas . . . the fuel pump is running, the key turns, the power comes on, dash lights, starter turns over . . . just cranks. And theres this really odd electrical buzz coming from about right in front of my right knee.
I cant figure it. I tried to start it over and over, kind of dumbfounded. It has to be some electrical thing with that weird sound. I checked the battery cables, but they're on tight tight.
The crummy thing is, if I cant start it, I cant even get it looked at without a tow.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:07 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has everything been working right up until now? Kinda sounds like weak batteries. Is your tach moving while you are cranking? If not, then CPS.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Craig64
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This may sound simple, but ya might try tightening up your battery connections, I had something similar happen as my batteries were goin' south. Craig.

Strike that -- just re-read your post --- dooohhh.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:26 PM
dryfly
Elder User
the buzzing sound could be a relay.I know there is a group of three relays rite at mid dash area.One is the flasher(the bigger of the three) and then there are two more in that cluster.I believe one is a fuel pump relay not sure of the other.In order to find the cluster just turn on your flashers and you'll find it.The two smaller ones are interchangeable so if one is bad just swap them for now and see if it starts.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:36 PM
arjr111
Senior User
I just went through the same thing, and would suggest you begin eliminating possible problems.

You may want to check the fuses under the dash.
Check the charge on the batteries.
Check the HPOP see that the oil is 3/4 inches from the top.
CPS as mentioned.

BTW...mine turned out to be a broken wire to the IPR.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:16 PM
TwelveAlpha
Elder User
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2831...00036958yvVaGs
I took a jpeg
If I get under it, I can touch this with one hand and turn the key with the other, this is whats making the sound, and it actually vibrates a little

Batteries are 2 months old. I have 1700 cca . . . not an issue. Cables are tight.
Gaa. Frustrating stuff, aint it?

Old 09-09-2007, 06:40 PM
dryfly
Elder User
The photo looks just like an electricalmale-female quick connect.thats not a relay,from what I can see.but looks to me like it is mounted to the same steel support that the relay is mounted to.the relays are juhst on the other side of that steel bracket,hard to see.Are you sure that connection is buzzing and not the relays rite close to them?

by the way a bad relay will buzz and vibrate.Soe times you can even just tap them with a wrench or driver and they will unstick.but thats verry tempoarry if it works at all.

Last edited by dryfly; 09-09-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:40 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
12A, I know this sounds redundant but just for grins and giggles plug up batt charger, and charge each seperatley. I am betting on a bad alternator, and even though you changed batts 2 months back they have now fallen below 10.5 VDC when cranking. yeah, it will turn the starter but the electronics dont have enough voltage to power up the Gp relay and the IDM. Been here and done this got the tshirt, twice.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:42 PM
tim49107
New User
Thought I'd add my 2 cents here. The same thing happen to me this week. Not sure of the problem yet, but there is a definate what I call a clicking or buzzing but it's coming from mid dash, sounds like just under the radio or to the left of the radio. It's left me stranded twice now, both times in my driveway and both times I hooked up a battery charger, since I wore down the batteries trying to start/troubleshoot the problem. Both times after about 3 hours, the truck started right up like there never was a problem. I'm kind of scared that it's going to leave me stranded somewhere besides my driveway the next time. I know the batteries are about 6 years old and it's possible they may be on thier way out but it sure turns over for a long time for weak batteries!!!
It's good to know about the relays I'll check them out in the morning. Sure would like to find a problem and fix it before I need a tow truck!!!

Old 09-09-2007, 09:48 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tim49107
Thought I'd add my 2 cents here. The same thing happen to me this week. Not sure of the problem yet, but there is a definate what I call a clicking or buzzing but it's coming from mid dash, sounds like just under the radio or to the left of the radio. It's left me stranded twice now, both times in my driveway and both times I hooked up a battery charger, since I wore down the batteries trying to start/troubleshoot the problem. Both times after about 3 hours, the truck started right up like there never was a problem. I'm kind of scared that it's going to leave me stranded somewhere besides my driveway the next time. I know the batteries are about 6 years old and it's possible they may be on thier way out but it sure turns over for a long time for weak batteries!!!
It's good to know about the relays I'll check them out in the morning. Sure would like to find a problem and fix it before I need a tow truck!!!
Have your alternator checked. When you replace it go ahead and replace the batts.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:17 AM
TwelveAlpha
Elder User
Well, now I'm playing the lotto. Its on a flatbed headed to my fav-o-rite diesel guy. I know he's gonna love me for giving him an electrical thing, but heck. I dont know what it is.
Dryfly was right, its not that connector, its something on the other side making the buzzing.
Whenever we figure it all out, I'll post results for anyone else thats run into it (or does in the future and searches!)

Old 09-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Anyone wanna bet the alternator is the problem?.....

Old 09-10-2007, 01:46 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Action4478
Anyone wanna bet the alternator is the problem?.....
Huh, wonder where I heard that before

Old 09-10-2007, 02:29 PM
TwelveAlpha
Elder User
Dog biscuits to whoever gets it before the results are in . . .

Old 09-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bdrummonds
Huh, wonder where I heard that before
About five times in this thread... Did OP ever put a charger on it?...