2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power window problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:34 PM
evilwayz7
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess Ford didn't think driving down the Interstate 100 miles from any service station and your window regulator fails causing the window to crash down into the door while driving in a snow or rain storm and you have young children in the back seat was considered a safety issue. I know this scenario might not happen enough to cause a recall but it is a possibility. I just think there should be a safety catch on the track that in case the regulator fails the window won't go crashing into the door or at least a way to put the window up manually in the event of a failure.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:48 PM
stratus225
Senior User
not a bad thought Evil, but a voluntary recall is determined by one thing, as much as it sucks to say, how many defective items are going to turn into lawsuits, class action or otherwise, vs. how much will it cost to recall the item. Unless its a gov't issued recall to Ford and then onto the consumer, this is how a recall comes to life. I cant imagine that there will be too many lawsuits over window reg's and if there is it may be over a situation like you have just laid out. But even then, how many? a dozen tops would be my guess. Sucks doesnt it.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:57 PM
evilwayz7
Senior User
Originally Posted by stratus225
not a bad thought Evil, but a voluntary recall is determined by one thing, as much as it sucks to say, how many defective items are going to turn into lawsuits, class action or otherwise, vs. how much will it cost to recall the item. Unless its a gov't issued recall to Ford and then onto the consumer, this is how a recall comes to life. I cant imagine that there will be too many lawsuits over window reg's and if there is it may be over a situation like you have just laid out. But even then, how many? a dozen tops would be my guess. Sucks doesnt it.
Yeah it just seems to be one of those things we all gotta deal with. They can't make everything perfect and never break or we would have millions of people without work. I'm just glad I can replace them with no problem because shops charge a lot for automotive labor. I don't expect them to ever make a recall out of this but they should offer replacement parts for a lot cheaper than what they are selling them for at the dealerships. I did hear that they are carrying the regulators at Autozone now but I haven't checked yet.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:08 PM
stratus225
Senior User
Oddly enough, from what I have found in comparison, Demand=cost....but it seems to be the oppisite across the border. I have been working in a dealership for 15 years in Canada, and the more demand for a part actually keeps the prices lower for the most part here in Canada, whereas from what i have investigated into, the more demand in the U.S. for a part, the higher the price goes. I find it completely outrageous. As far as I'm concerned if there are more parts in circulation because of demand, there should be a rate break just because of the bulk shipments of the part, not a hike in prices.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:10 PM
garvicmos
New User
Talking How to change out a pwr window regulator 04 f150

Just carefully follow the instructions. Even if you have to buy from dealer you will still have 2 Franklins in your pants which would belong to the dealer. Now, I took my sweet time and it only took about 90 min. The way I see it if another goes I can do it in no time. Thanks GPEADE!!

Old 05-25-2008, 03:03 PM
ExBMWturnFx4
New User
Okay, my rear passenger side window started to drop - the switch and motor sounds like its working. I know have a screwdriver wedged to hold the window closed. How do you access the door panel to get a good view inside? I'm somewhat mechanically inclinded. Thanks

Old 06-30-2008, 02:25 PM
evilwayz7
Senior User
Cool More regulator problems

Well I have now had 5 window regulators replaced in my truck and it is only 3 years old. This is getting absolutely ridiculous. This time the dealership wasn't as helpful. They charged me $100 to replace it. It is still better than $300. They told me that they can only offer two assists a year. I have written Ford Motor Company again and I am waiting for a reply. I will include a link to a website where you can read and log all your complaints on specific vehicles. I sent this link to Ford but they probably won't even open it. I just wished I could get these parts at my local Checker or Autozone. I have tried and they said they do not have them. Ford needs to step up on this problem if they want to keep a customer. 2005 Ford F-150 windows / windshield problems & complaints -- [ CarComplaints.com ]

Old 07-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Loud Pipes
New User
I had this same problem last year, the cable broke. Window did not drop but stopped working..Anyways replaced it myself, took half hour and cost around $150. But last week I thought it happened again, my window will go down but not up. I bought another regulator and hooked it up outside the truck, once again it would go down and not up. I tried using the switch off the back door and it would only go down. I tried the front door switch on the rear door and it works fine up and down. There is also a trick I learned, you can use a 14.4 volt cordless drill battery to power the window. This worked and I got the window up. So, switch works, regulator works, there is something in the wiring that will not allow my window to power up. Checking wire continuity today, but just wondering if any one had this issue.... Wow, that was long winded! First post on this site, found it while searching the net for a solution, this place is awesome!

Old 07-01-2008, 04:27 PM
FatalErrorz
Senior User
Ok, this may seem WAY off base, but did you buy the truck used?

Old 07-01-2008, 08:26 PM
jbrown89
New User
I can not believe that I have not had this problem yet on my 04. Its weird that I have another problem....more than likely related though. Since day one, the window makes a 'creeking' noise when it is all the way up. It makes it when the window gets to the top as well as when I hit bumps or drive on a bumpy road. It also does it when it gets to the bottom, but not with it down on bumpy roads. When driving with the windows up, I have to crack the window slightly to get it to stop.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:32 AM
FatalErrorz
Senior User
If you bought it used, pull a carfax report and see if that door was ever damaged, or has been replaced.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:39 AM
evilwayz7
Senior User
Originally Posted by FatalErrorz
Ok, this may seem WAY off base, but did you buy the truck used?

Nope I bought my truck brand new with about 50 miles on it in February of 2005. Plus it has happened to every window once and the front passenger twice. -Evilwayz7

Old 07-02-2008, 08:52 AM
Loud Pipes
New User
I bought mine used with 25000 on it but I did pull a carfax, no issues there. I was running it at the dunes last week, don't know if that has anything to do with it. The first time mine when out last fall the cable was shredded and caused it to bind up.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:58 AM
Loud Pipes
New User
Jbrown - The creaking noise is the start of the problem. Eventually mine started binded up and just stopped. Mine did not snap and drop like other guys did.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:47 AM
FatalErrorz
Senior User
Originally Posted by evilwayz7
Nope I bought my truck brand new with about 50 miles on it in February of 2005. Plus it has happened to every window once and the front passenger twice. -Evilwayz7
Dayumm...don't know. All I can think is that something in the door (mounts) isn't right...Like it's too high, and eating motors and/or regulators because of the pressure when closing(?)

My back slider creaks when I shut it all the way. Does it for about 10 seconds, then stops. That's not right either.

Quick Reply: Power window problems