best rust sealer for surface rust

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 12:27 AM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best rust sealer for surface rust

my 1990 has the typical late 80's early 90's primer issue and is in need of a new paint job. unfortunantly that is near the bottom of my list of things to be done, in the meantime, i need a rust inhibbitor/sealent i can spray onto the areas it has lost paint and is begining to rust into the metal. this is mainly on the roof and hood. so im asking, what is the best brand that will last me through the winter and keep this rust from getting deeper (its mainly surface right now and i'd like to keep it that way) must withstand the wetness of a WA winter

thanks in advance

Old 09-05-2007, 04:48 AM
FordCwazyGuy
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Epoxy sealer primer,it has to be a 2 part ,the regular rattle can primers are junk in my opinion.
If you no access to a spray gun and compressor you can brush it on,let dry and sand smooth.
Then get a can of rattle can paint to put over the primer for a UV inhibitor and moisture sealer,that'll hold you well untill you get to the body work done and painted

Old 09-05-2007, 06:45 AM
cujo8
Posting Guru
I would use Eastwoods "Rust Encapsulator" paint. You only need to remove the loose rust by sanding the area and then clean the surface with laquer thinner or acetone and then just brush it on. This paint does not need to be top coated like many of the other rust encapulation paints.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:12 PM
blue68f100
Posting Guru
There are several options. One is use a rust converter/encapsulater like POR-15 or Rust Encapsulator. If your going to remove the rust prior to sealing use a Epoxy Primer. You will just have to sand it prior to starting the paint process.

The aerosol cans are not the greatest but in a pinch use a self etching primer after rust removal like DupliColor.

But for any of these to work, the surface must be clean, no loose material.

I'm using a wire wheel on my grinder to remove loose material, then spraying the bright material with a Epoxy Primer (2 coats). This will keep moisture from getting to the steel.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:06 PM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
what grit paper would yall sujest i sand with prior to application?

Old 09-05-2007, 08:43 PM
blue68f100
Posting Guru
I would use a wire wheel, or chemical clean it then seal it. Would not sand on it till I had 2 coats of epoxy primer. Then when your ready to work on it (3+mo), sand on it with 320, then shoot 2K primer and do it link any other repair.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:55 AM
FordCwazyGuy
Mountain Pass
I would be VERY carefull using a wire wheel on a grinder for body panels,most grinders run an average of 10,000 RPM's,that creates ALOT of heat and can easily warp the panel.
Sand what rust you can off with a minimum of 220 grit, you MUST have a good sanded surface for the epoxy to adhere to making a mechanical bond to the surface.
If you have pitted areas with rust in them,use a little bit of naval jelly in these areas carefull only putting a tiny bit where needed so not to run down onto the areas your not treating,then wash off the whole panel THOROUGHLY with water,then sand again and wipe it all down with a 50/50 solution of water water/alcohol to remove oil and contaminates.Then spray(or brush) with the Epoxy primer,most epoxy's will need a 10% added acetone to make it a sealer.
As long you put a few or more good coats of the Epoxy on it you can lightly sand it to smooth it out so it doesnt look so bad when you put some kind of paint over it.Epoxy usualy has a flash of about 15-20 minutes in between coats,and window of 24 hrs to paint over to get a chemical bond,if more than 24 hrs you'll have to sand for a mechanical bond because it has aready cured,read the directions for the certian Epoxy your using,some are different.
I would not let it just ride with Epoxy primer..its not designed to withstand UV and hard weather.
Epoxy primer will stick to any type of paint as long its sanded properly,its designed to use ovr metal or paint,and can use any type of paint over it.
One more thing....NEVER believe those rattle can primers claiming to be Epoxy Primer,its impossible because its just like the Epoxy glue,it HAS to be 2 parts mixed together

Last edited by FordCwazyGuy; 09-06-2007 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:32 PM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
ok so today i bought some Naval Jelly to remove the surface rust abd some primer to cover the bare metal when its done. i fugure that should cover me for a while.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:09 AM
cujo8
Posting Guru
Make sure you use an epoxy primer for your rust repair if your going the primer route or the rust will come back in short order. Epoxy primers are the only primer that totally seals and protects the metal and you will not find epoxy primers in a rattle can unless you get a paint dealer to fill some rattle cans for you. Once the store mixes up some epoxy primer you need to use it pretty much right away, because it has a limited pot life once the activator is added. You could just buy the epoxy primer and activator separately and mix it up as needed and apply it with a brush. I tried Navel Jelly once and I was not all that impressed with the process. For one thing you need to put the Navel jelly on and let it stay on the surface a long time for it to remove the rust and I am too impatient to wait that long before I finish the repair. From your original post I see you want something to stop the rust until you can have your truck repainted at a later time. That is why I suggested Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator paint. All that is required is sand off the loose rust, clean surface with a good solvent and spray or brush on the Rust Encapsulator and you are done. Eastwood sells the Rust Encapsulator in Black, Red, Silver, and Clear, so you can pick the color that most closely matches your paint. Eastwood states that you do not need to top coat with another paint unless you want to better hide your repair. Good luck with your project.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:38 PM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
where can i buy eastwood? i didnt see it at my hardware store, and dont really want to wait for an online order

Old 09-26-2007, 03:57 AM
FordCwazyGuy
Mountain Pass
Eastwood is only online or catolog orders,just get the 2 part epoxy primer at a local body shop supplier.Like i stated before,you can just brush it on and then sand it smooth so it wont look so bad,after that i would personaly get any kind of rattle can paint to put over it to help seal it and make it look better for the time being.
Epoxy primer dont have much of a pot life at all once mixed,maybe 1/2 hr at the most,thats why you cant buy it in rattle cans,by the time it hits the store it would be a big block of hard epoxy.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:07 PM
brucewolff
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the Eastwood product at www(dot)eastwoodco(dot)com, Rust bullet at www(dot)rustbullet(dot)com or POR-15 at www(dot)por15(dot)com.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:47 PM
tastyklair
Elder User
Rust bullet would be my choice. You can spray or brush it. Least amount of prep work of any of them. Just get the loose stuff off. I part, no mixing.