April Utah Trip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:25 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
April Utah Trip?

We have an August Colorado trip thread.

I like to do a spring Utah trip also. April is a good time it seems. Not too hot or too cold. I have a bad case of cabin fever by that time anyway

Any takers?

Old 08-30-2007, 10:12 PM
fordnut1985
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm, I think I could go either way, could only do one of them though

Old 09-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Thomasm67
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As i posted on Torg depends on the dates and if i have the money and something to drive.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:19 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
I like to head out just after Easter Heep Safari. This year it is March 15-23.

I'm not a big Moab guy. To me Moab is like Telluride. Too many folks with neon hair and too many places with $10 a cup coffee. Still a few places worth visiting when near Moab though. Just not my idea of places to spend a lot of time ($$$$$$$$$$).

Been a while so one more time. Baskin Robbins made 31 flavors of ice cream for a reason. I'm not saying Moab is bad or the folks that go there are bad. It's just not my flavor is all. Now if you think I'm a bad person for not liking Moab, then you do your thing and I'll do mine and with a bit of luck we won't even see each other. If you understand that folks like different stuff (like I do) and want to do some Moab stuff along with this trip we can work that out. I could even meet up with folks in Moab and we could head out to the back country.

Lots of stuff to do in Utah. Off-Road Magazine put out a series of articles by my friend Larry Heck on the Outlaw Trail. So we could do any of that. There is Hole-In-The-Rock, Arch Canyon, Hotel Rock, Beef Basin, Elephant Hill, Bobby's Hill, The Grandstaircase/Escalante NM, Comb Ridge, and many other great places to go where we can have the trails mostly to ourselves and camp out with no evidence of others or modern live.

So if it sounds like fun then let me know what you like. John Wayne (Monument Valley), the old missle test site at Green River, Robbers Roost (The Wild Bunch), the San Juan Mission (Hole-In-The-Rock), ect.........

The date right now will be sometime between March 24th and April 24th. I have to be back the end of April and Heep Hamboree has not posted it's 2008 schedule that I can find so I don't know what will be over crowded and when yet.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:53 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
http://www.off-roadweb.com/adventure...ail/index.html

http://www.off-roadweb.com/adventure...t_2/index.html

http://www.off-roadweb.com/adventure...t_3/index.html

http://www.off-roadweb.com/adventure...t_4/index.html

Those are the links for Larry's story's. If you see something you'd like to do let me know. Spring is not the best time for a visit to the Henry's and the Lonesome Beaver campground. This would be a good time to go now if you can avoid snow in the Rocky's on the way out and back.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:25 PM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hmmm... I have a score to settle with that HITR trail!

Old 09-27-2007, 12:35 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Sounds like a plan. Or at least part of a plan for this trip.

http://www.4x4now.com/ppmay96.htm

Last edited by HappyJack; 09-27-2007 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:10 AM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
Hi Jack. I copied this from B2.org in response to your post:

Good to see you on here Jack. Actually I was hoping to do both. Do you have a date yet for HITR? I'm hoping to take a whole week off and split the time. I should be able to get 9 or 10 days off which would allow me to do both. But it all depends on the dates. If it came to a choice because the dates are too far apart I would most likely do HITR because I've never done it (Tried and failed last year ). I might still be able to take a few days later for the Moab trip too. I've done just about every trail in Moab worth doing but they are still fun.

Forced to make a choice due to dates for both events being at the same time, or too far apart, or the price of fuel only allowing me one trip, I will definitely do HITR. So I'm in. What else did you have in mind for that trip?

Old 10-17-2007, 03:36 PM
N7ghtwolf
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm down, should be done fixin up the truck by April.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:35 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
No for sure date yet. I don't like heat and like to go early. I have a guy that wants to do Arch Canyon and a hike to Fish Canyon. Those are on the west side of Comb Ridge just north of where we went up Snow Flats. Other than that I'm open for most stuff away from Moab. Kind of want to get back to Lonesome Beaver Campground in the Henry's and maybe do Devils Racetrack.

We were going to do Arch Canyon this year but Heepie Hamboree was there. A lot depends on if and when they will be in the area next year. We can do that pretty early. The guy who wants to do that also wants to run from Hanksville south over the Henry's (Lonesome Beaver Campground) and up the Burr Trail to Bluff. Then down to Escalante and do some/all of HITR on that side of Lake Powell then up Left Hand Collet to Collet top. Not sure how we'll go after that. I like the east route over ****ty Briches hill. But Smokey Mtn Rd just to the west is not a bad drive either. Won't be up to me though. If we do that we'll come out at Big Water. 10 miles west is Cottonwood Canyon RD. 1.5 miles north is a side trail that goes over to Coyote Creek. You go up that creek into Coyote Wash and there is a nice little climb out of the wash up to Brigham Plain. You keep going on that and it drops you back down into Cottonwood Canyon. That is an awsome view and trail. Don't know if it's still open or not but I have been wanting to get back over there. April could be early to get over the Henry's. Last few times I was out there they still had stuff closed from winter damage in June.

HITR pic's are on my web site at: http://www.mappyjack.com/hitr.html

Devils Racetrack is another I would like to do. It can be seen on this link: http://www.off-roadweb.com/adventures/0610or_outlaw_trail_part_2/index.html That article starts at Robbers Roost Spring and goes to Hanksville then north. Devils Racetrack is the last section that is north of I-70.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:44 AM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
That's some awesome stuff in the Swell. Only thing I've done in there is the Little Wild Horse/Bell Canyon hiking loop and a cruise north from there in the pickup where we came out by Swazey's Cabin and Head of Sinbad. I'd love to go back.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:51 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Only bad thing about the Swell is it has been a batle ground for many years between public use folks and wilderness folks. Seems the motor cycle and ATV groups have become involved and there is now a bunch of motor cycle and ATV only trails.

To me it dosen't make any difference what group it is. If you lock me and my truck out of areas you will not get my support. I don't mind other users on the trails I drive. Hikers, horse back riders, or motor cycles and ATV's. I enjoy seeing and talking to others on the trails. None of my trails are restricted to other groups (aside from requiring vehicles are street legal). Just bothers me that other users are locking me out of areas.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:02 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
How about April 14th through the 18th? Let me know.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:27 PM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
Any chance of moving it up or back a week? 4/18 is my Friday to work. 4/11 and 4/25 are my Fridays off. It's much easier to take leave on those days.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:47 PM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
The 4th would be a birthday for a family member. So I couldn't leave untill Saturday the 5th at the earliest. And maybe not till Sunday the 6th. It takes me 2 days to get out there. So it would be Monday or Tuesday afore I would be able to do trails. How were you wanting to work this in with the Moab deal?

Quick Reply: April Utah Trip?