1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Viper Alarm in SD

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 10:30 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Viper Alarm in SD

I've been wanting remote start and a security system for a while now and I think its time I go ahead and put one in my 04'.

I was looking at the Viper 771XV. Anyone have this system?

I called a local shop for a price on a Viper system. The only one they carry is the Viper 791XV. They quoted me a price of $600 and that didn't include the module to start without the key in.

How are tough are these systems to install?

I was thinking of just buying the 771XV off Ebay and installing it myself. I am more mechanical than electrical however my dad is an electrician and can help me out if I need it.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:30 AM
jomac11
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote starts are not that hard to do. The place you may run into difficulties is if you have a diesel. It complicates things a little, but not too much. That shops price is pretty close to what most people charge for that particular unit, but you will not need a module to start without the key, since your truck is a super duty and doesnt have a chipped key.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:52 PM
Bulldog68
Senior User
I just had a Viper 5900SST put in mine about a month ago. Drive out was $550.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Storm
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your getting ripped off on the 771... My 5900SST before GPS was $650 drive out.. Whatever you do dont let them say you need a box for remote start.. It's bullcrap.. Viper has the right stuff in the Alarm Module.. You don't need a diesel box that addons to the Viper Alarm for their Remote Start to work.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:25 PM
superv10
Elder User
Originally Posted by Storm
Your getting ripped off on the 771... My 5900SST before GPS was $650 drive out.. Whatever you do dont let them say you need a box for remote start.. It's bullcrap.. Viper has the right stuff in the Alarm Module.. You don't need a diesel box that addons to the Viper Alarm for their Remote Start to work.
Yup - storm is correct - I have the 791XV installed in my 2005 Diesel - they did add a small delay timer that I can adjust for the remote start - it delays so many seconds for the glow plugs - but no other box is needed - I paid $500 out the door installed at Best Buy...

Old 08-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Storm
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by superv10
Yup - storm is correct - I have the 791XV installed in my 2005 Diesel - they did add a small delay timer that I can adjust for the remote start - it delays so many seconds for the glow plugs - but no other box is needed - I paid $500 out the door installed at Best Buy...
Why did they put a delay timer in? If I'm not mistaken the 791XV should have the ability to tie into the Glowplug light.. I know my 5900SST is like that.. It's all one entire alarm module that handles it all.. I am able to adjust start time, for instance mine is 1.6 seconds of trying to turn over before the starter is disengaged.. But as far as engaging remote start, one the Glowplug Light goes out it starts 2 seconds later..

Maybe the 771 and 791XV don't have that then.. I may need to read up.. I went with the 5900SST for the 1mi Range and the GPS addon.. Now if someone steals my truck it's easy to track down And believe me.. You'll NEVER find the GPS.. I can't even find the damn thing.. Few of my friends searched for 2 hours and never could locate it..

Old 08-29-2007, 04:02 PM
superv10
Elder User
Originally Posted by Storm
Why did they put a delay timer in? If I'm not mistaken the 791XV should have the ability to tie into the Glowplug light.. I know my 5900SST is like that.. It's all one entire alarm module that handles it all.. I am able to adjust start time, for instance mine is 1.6 seconds of trying to turn over before the starter is disengaged.. But as far as engaging remote start, one the Glowplug Light goes out it starts 2 seconds later..

Maybe the 771 and 791XV don't have that then.. I may need to read up.. I went with the 5900SST for the 1mi Range and the GPS addon.. Now if someone steals my truck it's easy to track down And believe me.. You'll NEVER find the GPS.. I can't even find the damn thing.. Few of my friends searched for 2 hours and never could locate it..
Not sure - I know that they said that on the new 2005's they can't connect to the 791 to the Glo plug light - that's what I wanted but they said it wasn't possible - but that was 2 years ago. Maybe the new ones can...they had to install a small timer which I had them put in the second glove box...

Old 08-29-2007, 04:19 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Thanks for the info guys.

I have the 6.8l not a diesel so I guess I don't need any modules or anything.

My truck currently has no alarm, keyless entry or anything.

I can get a new Viper system off Ebay for $200-$250 so I think I'm going to go that route.

I would rather do the install myself. I don't want to spend $600 on a system, that will cut into my header money. I'm not concerned with any kind of warrenty either.

They quoted me $600 or $650 for 791XV because thats the only one they carry. I would prefer the 771 because I don't think it would take me long to damage the lcd screen on the more expensive remotes.

Last edited by dkf; 08-29-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:22 PM
FastCote
Senior User
Originally Posted by jomac11
... since your truck is a super duty and doesnt have a chipped key.
Not sure that is true. pretty sure in the pic below that there is a PATS chip in the key:

Love the Viper alarm and am addicted to the remote start. The two way communication rocks! you dont have to peek out the window to make sure it started. Although with the 6.0, you can pretty much hear it through most walls. Make sure you get the extended range model. It is well worth it.

Also, if you go the DIY route, I found a list of common wire colors here:

http://64.85.6.121/diagrams/diagram.asp?ModelID=19203&MakeID=18&link=BULLDOG

Scroll down that page for some wire harness pics.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as I know the PATS key system was not available for the Super Duty until the 08 model.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:47 PM
Bulldog68
Senior User
I know when I got mine installed they put a 10 sec delay on the remote start for the glow plugs. I don't know if they couldn't hook it up to the light or what. Also, because I had the number pad on the door, if I wanted it to work they had to put in the bypass similar to the chip in the key thing. All I know is mine works and I love it. Especially the fact that the remote lets you know what's going on at all times and confirms everything.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:38 PM
jomac11
Elder User
If they had to install a delay, they were idiots, the viper has the capability to hook to your wait to start wire...

Old 08-30-2007, 05:06 AM
the Goat
Senior User
I installed a Viper alarm/remote start in my Bronco. It was the fancy long range one with the two way remote with LCD display etc. I did all the work myself over one weekend. There were some confusing bits I didn't follow in their instructions when I read them though. It makes sence once you get your hands into it though.

I had to disable the clutch starter lockout switch for the remote start to work. It worked fine, but I was never happy with the "safty factor". I'm embarrased to say I did leave/start it in gear once. Luckly the rear diff beached itself on a rock five feet behind where I parked and lifted the drive wheels off the ground. No damage other then a small dent on the diff cover.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:40 AM
dkf
Hotshot
I ordered the 5900SST today. ($218 shipped) I like the idea of the one mile range and to be able to monitor whats going on with the LCD screen. I just have to be careful with it I guess.

Thanks to all for the help.

I printed out that chart fastcoat. I think that will come in handy.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:54 AM
superv10
Elder User
Originally Posted by dkf
I ordered the 5900SST today. ($218 shipped) I like the idea of the one mile range and to be able to monitor whats going on with the LCD screen. I just have to be careful with it I guess.

Thanks to all for the help.

I printed out that chart fastcoat. I think that will come in handy.
Enjoy, but good luck getting a full 1 mile range - probably only available in west Texas with only a few sagebrushes in the way - best I could ever get is maybe a 1/4 mile

Quick Reply: Viper Alarm in SD