6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

water in fuel light??????????

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 01:48 PM
buckshot047
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
water in fuel light??????????

Came on and went off...ran for a while and now came back on..also no issues with the way it is running...no way there can b water in the fuel....i dont think...here is the problem...the plug for draining it out waspreviously stripped pretty bad by the knuckle head who took it out...now I cant get the plug out...anyone have any ideas? Also will changin the frame mounted filter do the same thing as pulling the drain plug....just trying to figure a way out to get the water out of there without puilling the plug....thanks

Old 08-28-2007, 02:49 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
that's a good question. i'm not sure if changing the filter would accomplish that, but it's sure worth a try. i would buy the replacement drain plug that has a knurled fitting for using your hands/pliers OR the allen wrench, it's not much money under twenty bucks i think, and i'm sure someone here will post a link to it for you.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:26 PM
buckshot047
Senior User
yeah that would be great...just need to get the old one out!

Old 08-28-2007, 04:37 PM
ecsmith0624
Senior User
If it turns out there isn't any water in there it's covered under the 5yr/100K mi warranty. Mine started coming on intermittently. I'd drain it and there'd be no water, light would stay on then go off for no reason. Finally came on and stayed on. Ford dealer changed it out under warranty. Best case though is you just have a little water that needs to be drained.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:55 AM
buckshot047
Senior User
any ideas what I should be experiecing if thereis actually water in the fuel? Trucks is running grea....im a little confused

Old 08-29-2007, 06:38 AM
m350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have read on here, where some guys have used JB weld and glued a allen wrench into the old plug to get it out,,,I installed the new plug, with the knirled outer surface, got it from a Ford dealer,,it was "Diamond" or "Blue Diamond "something like that brand.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:18 AM
ecsmith0624
Senior User
If you actually have water in your fuel it should be caught by the fuel/water separator (HFCM). If that's the case just drain it and go about your business. Now if it was a substantial amount of water I would consider draining the tank and replacing the fuel/water separator. If it's not too much I wouldn't worry, that's what it's there for. Truck should run just fine as long as the separator is doing it's job.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:46 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
M350.

That diamond was the "International Harvester" emblem

Old 08-29-2007, 12:26 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ecsmith0624
If you actually have water in your fuel it should be caught by the fuel/water separator (HFCM). If that's the case just drain it and go about your business. Now if it was a substantial amount of water I would consider draining the tank and replacing the fuel/water separator. If it's not too much I wouldn't worry, that's what it's there for. Truck should run just fine as long as the separator is doing it's job.
you should try reading the whole post, then you would see what his question was. the light came on, so the HMFC IS doing it's job, but his plug is stripped out, so your "just drain it and go about your business" is a bit hard to swallow.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:49 PM
ecsmith0624
Senior User
Originally Posted by LvTitan
you should try reading the whole post, then you would see what his question was.
Originally Posted by buckshot047
any ideas what I should be experiecing if thereis actually water in the fuel? Trucks is running grea....im a little confused
And what exactly was it about my answer you didn't like? Seems pretty relevant to me. The question regarding the plug itself has already been answered. I did read the whole post....

Old 08-30-2007, 12:48 PM
ecsmith0624
Senior User
So I didn't misunderstand then. Good. I worry about that happening as I get older.

Last edited by ecsmith0624; 08-30-2007 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:29 AM
hawaiianrockscaping
New User
Has anyone else had a BAD problem w/ water in the gas tank. The Ford svc dept changed my entire fuel system - from the gas tank to the injectors and within a month there was water in the tank again. They can't figure it out!

Old 08-31-2007, 12:32 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hawaiianrockscaping
Has anyone else had a BAD problem w/ water in the gas tank. The Ford svc dept changed my entire fuel system - from the gas tank to the injectors and within a month there was water in the tank again. They can't figure it out!
several things. ford SAID they changed your entire fuel system, i highly doubt that.

are you filling up from the same station ? try getting your fuel somewhere else.

FYI, it's a fuel tank, we dont run gas

Old 08-31-2007, 04:13 PM
ecsmith0624
Senior User
Originally Posted by LvTitan
try getting your fuel somewhere else.

FYI, it's a fuel tank, we dont run gas
When I first bought my diesel I was told to look for stations with a high rate of turnover for their fuel. Places that move a lot of diesel shouldn't have too many problems with water and such. At least that's what I was told. Made sense to me, but it's certainly no guarantee.

And the gas tank/fuel tank thing...that's been the hardest habit for me to break I think! I still say "I need to stop and get gas" and such. I just hope I don't actually wind up WITH gas one of these days!

Old 09-01-2007, 05:49 AM
Shriner
Junior User
My '03 did the same thing. I changed both filters, removed the code, but the water in the fuel light came back on again. After fretting about it for over a week, I talked to one of the older guys in my lodge who owns a repair shop. He suggested it was actually the fuel itself, which according to him, the formula has been changed from what used to be available, that causes some of these truck to throw a code for water in the fuel.

Now I dont want to start a pissing war, but he suggested I put a quart of tranny fluid in the fuel tank. I asked if he was serious? He smiled and said thats what they used to do years ago to get the water out. His explanation is that the tranny fluid would lub the injectors and cure the water indication. I pondered this for a while, but his reputation conviced me to try it... this was 6 months ago. It took about 2 days for the problem to magically go away, but it worked.

Like I said, I surely dont want to start a war by this suggestion, only telling you what worked for me.

Quick Reply: water in fuel light??????????