1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

uplifter switch wiring diagram

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 07:57 PM
paintballpro650
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The pass through wires are larger guage than the orange uplifted wires... How can they be too small? Thank you for that link its by far the best I've seen for this

Old 04-15-2011, 09:11 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by paintballpro650
The pass through wires are larger guage than the orange uplifted wires... How can they be too small? Thank you for that link its by far the best I've seen for this
Thank you. I wrote that page, BTW.

The pass-through wires are not heavier than two of the upfitter wires. The wires for switches 1 and 2 are heavier, because those are fused at 30 amp. The wires for switches 3 and 4 are smaller, because those are fused at 10 amp (IIRC). I don't remember the wire gauges exactly, but two of the upfitter wires are definitely heavier than the other two.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:24 PM
paintballpro650
Freshman User
No I understand that 2 are heavier than the other 2 but I'm trying to say I think that the pass through wires are all a heavier guage than any of the orange wires. Thank u for writing that it's it's the only descent explanation I've come across. By far the most helpful.. Thanks

Old 04-16-2011, 02:26 AM
paintballpro650
Freshman User
Ok I saw what you were talking about the 30A uplifter wires being heavier than the pass through wires. My question though is if I am using a relay then the pass through wires are only being used for the signaling portion of the relay. The power and ground for the lights is handled independently all within the engine compartment. If I am using the pass through wires for signaling the relay only is that still too much to wire it all to one switch? Also if I wired it all to one switch would it be bad kicking on all that draw at one time. Then again if I made it two separate ones I would most likely kick them on at the same time anyways. I completely understand what your saying about the pass through wires being tiny and not good for high load but my argument is that wouldnt the load me very small because of its role in the relay system? How can you find out what each lead of the relay is meant to handle. Like in a relay that will handle 20A will the signal wire be 10A or 1A? What is the approximate proportion?

Thanks

Old 04-16-2011, 03:56 AM
Killer RC
Senior User
It takes less than 1/4 of amp to activate a regular 30 amp Bosch style relay.

It's upfitter, not uplifter! LOL

Old 04-16-2011, 08:05 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Ok I saw what you were talking about the 30A uplifter wires being heavier than the pass through wires. My question though is if I am using a relay then the pass through wires are only being used for the signaling portion of the relay. The power and ground for the lights is handled independently all within the engine compartment. If I am using the pass through wires for signaling the relay only is that still too much to wire it all to one switch? Also if I wired it all to one switch would it be bad kicking on all that draw at one time. Then again if I made it two separate ones I would most likely kick them on at the same time anyways. I completely understand what your saying about the pass through wires being tiny and not good for high load but my argument is that wouldnt the load me very small because of its role in the relay system? How can you find out what each lead of the relay is meant to handle. Like in a relay that will handle 20A will the signal wire be 10A or 1A? What is the approximate proportion?
Originally Posted by Killer RC
It takes less than 1/4 of amp to activate a regular 30 amp Bosch style relay.

It takes very little current to control relays. So you are okay with that. But if you use a 30A upfitter switch, you still don't want to use the pass-through wires without adding a smaller fuse. You have to protect those pass-through conductors. If you were to have something cut and short one of those wires, and they are fused at 30A, you will melt that wire and all those around it, and possibly have a fire. So if you use them, add an inline 10A fuse. But why not just use switch #3 or 4, which are already fused at 10A? (or 15, can't remember at the moment)

Old 04-16-2011, 08:46 AM
paintballpro650
Freshman User
So you suggest that I just use the 10A to power all 4 lights on relays? I have 2 lights to 1 relay?

Old 04-16-2011, 09:35 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
So you suggest that I just use the 10A to power all 4 lights on relays? I have 2 lights to 1 relay?
That will work fine and you can use the pass-through wire.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:18 AM
paintballpro650
Freshman User
Ok thank you I think I'll be able to put all the pieces together. Hahah and I was wondering why they called them uplifter switches upfitter makes much more sense. Thanks again everyone

Old 04-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Killer RC
Senior User
I'd just use the pass thru wires to activate a 30A Bosch relay. Then get your main power from the big terminal inside the fuse box under the hood and add an inline fuse.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Tethergrain
Freshman User
Those switches 2011 F550

Ok, I have the switches as well, 1-4 on my dash now, there is power to the switches, ok, thats good, I located the fuses as well. 1 & 2 is located under the hood at an impossible location, driver side, tight fit, 3 & 4 kick panel passenger side. Now, how in hell do you tap into that? I want to add my extra set of fogs, but to use the switch, you connect to the fuse location of each switch??

Old 02-01-2012, 11:32 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Tethergrain
...I want to add my extra set of fogs, but to use the switch, you connect to the fuse location of each switch??
No. You have blunt cut wires for each of the four switches, under the dash, driver side, behind the access panel under the steering wheel. Just connect to those.

See this document:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...ml/Q-117R2.pdf

Old 02-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Tethergrain
Freshman User
Got it

thxs for the response, I just now realized that the wiring coming from the 4 switches are cut and blunted off alrdy on the harness where you mentioned the location, just tap into the correct ones. thxs again

Old 10-18-2013, 01:49 PM
FishFord
New User
pass-thru wiring connection

i'm new to the club guys and have probably a silly question regarding the use of pass-thru wires for upfitter switches. i need a 10a power supply "outside" the cab. i've read about the 4 blunt wires under the panel...no problem. i cannot, however find the pass-thru wires. Also, do i need to connect the pass-thru wire to the blunt wire for my 10a switch "inside the cab" and then connect the device to the pass-thru wire "outside the cab"? if so, where are they?

Old 10-18-2013, 02:30 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by FishFord
i'm new to the club guys and have probably a silly question regarding the use of pass-thru wires for upfitter switches. i need a 10a power supply "outside" the cab. i've read about the 4 blunt wires under the panel...no problem. i cannot, however find the pass-thru wires. Also, do i need to connect the pass-thru wire to the blunt wire for my 10a switch "inside the cab" and then connect the device to the pass-thru wire "outside the cab"? if so, where are they?
You will find the pass-thru wires under the hood, on a harness on the firewall, next to the brake master cylinder, driver side. Usually they are just hanging there and look like someone cut something off. Find those wires, and then look for the other end in the cabin, behind the fuse block. It helps to unbolt the fuse block and lower it down to reach all the stuff behind it.

The pass-thru wires and the blunt cut upfitter wires are all in the same general area. Yes, if you want to use them, you have to make the splice yourself.

You should be good with 10A using those wires. I wouldn't go much more than that. They look like only 16ga wires to me.

Welcome to FTE!!!

Quick Reply: uplifter switch wiring diagram