Modular V10 (6.8l)  

V-10 bad vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 06:52 PM
Dodge no more
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V-10 bad vibrations

Nope not the beach boys type. Going up a steep hill the other day, pulling 8500lb RV, the truck (V-10 F250) kicked into passing gear to go around a truck. Around 3800 RPM it started making this really loud..for lack of a better word...vibrating sound from underneath, Sorta a metal vibration sound. I haven't heard this before (20,000 miles). I have had the exhaust replaced due to a different sound farther back in the driveline area. Anyone else had a similar experience? I know if I take it to the dealer he'll blow me off and we're planning a 4000 mile trip next month.

Old 01-12-2002, 07:08 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
V-10 bad vibrations

Few questions...

Did the noise go away after you slowed down?
Has it come back when trying to replicate the noise?
Did the earlier exhaust change address the exhaust flutter issue some V10's experience?
Are you able to take a service dude along with you when you pull the trailer so that he can hear also?
When's the last time you changed tranny fluid?
If a train leaves Chicago at 3pm going east going 65mph and a another leaves NY at 4pm....oops, sorry got on a roll.

I haven't run across anything with mine nor have I heard of anything like that, other than maybe exhaust flutter. Wait here, all the friendly V10 boys here will soon be to your rescue!!

Old 01-12-2002, 07:25 PM
Dodge no more
Freshman User
V-10 bad vibrations

Yep, it went away when I got past the truck and it shifted to lower RPM. No I haven't pulled the trailer up a hill since. It's not nearly time to change the fluid...only 20,000 miles. I don't know if I could take the service dude with me or not. It's a real pain to hitch up the ol' RV and drive through the middle of town...then find a mountain to climb. Kinda puts me in a ticklish situation, I know.

Thanks for the reply. Maybe someone out there can shed some light on this...the noise is very hard to describe, but it's definitely not coming from the engine. I'm thinking maybe torque converter???

Old 01-13-2002, 12:15 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
V-10 bad vibrations

Maybe the "rattle" was coming from the truck you were passing! ;-)

Could be any number of things. Hopefully, it's not the TC. Have you checked all the tranny mounting bolts & brackets to make sure they are tight? Also, since you tow a trailer, the "Special Operating Conditions" service schedule is what you should be using for maintenance. Under that schedule, you are due for a tranny fluid change at 30,000 miles. If wouldn't hurt to check it and think about changing it early.

Old 01-13-2002, 12:56 PM
BigDeezil58
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
V-10 bad vibrations

Without sounding like a Smart [font color=orange]A$*[/font]. :-X23
It seems that the trans. fluid service interval is not the issue here. Perhaps the fluid level may be a factor in the diagnosis, but not likely. From what I gather in reading this post, anyway. But who am I? I agree with Monsta. Take the service tech with you and try to make the sound with a trained witness. Nomo however has a good point with the service schedule, However the damage(if any)is seemingly already done. Just my humble opinion. I dunno!

Old 01-13-2002, 05:08 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

V-10 bad vibrations

Ya know what? I was thinking about this ALL day. Mainly brecause I'm trying to remember what the sound I heard from my X once was. I was going up a fairly steep hill on one of the highways here and really getting on it. I mean floored, 3rd gear 75-80mph and I felt a steady *shudder* (or low freq. vibration) from the transmission. At the time I thought it was all them horseys just having a good ole time cause it didn't sound that harmful. I get my X back tomorrow (wait till you here this one, boys...) and I'll try to replicate it and give you my description of the sound. I just changed my fluid, it was clean (previous owner musta changed it) and to the full mark at change time. I'll let you know...

Old 01-13-2002, 05:14 PM
Senior User
V-10 bad vibrations

You mention you had the exhaust system changed. Is it stock? Maybe the new pipes are routed with too little clearance from something? A heat shield?

Good luck

Old 01-13-2002, 05:19 PM
Senior User
V-10 bad vibrations

Monsta, did you have the complete fluid replacement procedure done? Just had mine done on Friday. Pretty neat process.

Old 01-13-2002, 06:36 PM
Dodge no more
Freshman User
V-10 bad vibrations

>You mention you had the exhaust system changed. Is it stock?
>Maybe the new pipes are routed with too little clearance
>from something? A heat shield?
>
>Good luck

You know...it does sound like a heat shield, or something like that. The only change made to the exhaust was to replace the Y pipe to supposedly eliminate the "pinging". It it definately a metal sound very much like a super high pitch rattle, like metal vibrating really fast. It could be that the new Y fix is worse than the original. Thanks for the posts so far guys. A noise is a hard thing to figure out since it's so hard to describe.

Mike

Old 01-13-2002, 08:18 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

V-10 bad vibrations

Hey a heat shield on my Y pipe has two broken welds. I only get the rattle at around 1500rpm. I'll put a hose clamp around it when I get it back. Welding is useless. Dodge no more, I'd check that too!

3992824, I got the whole shebang done. I'm not really sure what you mean by a neat process. I hope you didn't pay for them to hook up that machine to the coolant lines and flush it out. The 4R100 has drainbolts for both the tranny and the Torque converter. Open 'em up, let it flow whilst dropping the pan to change the filter, then re-fill. Took 'em an hr. I decided to let them (Ford) do it so as to not run into any issues with my extended warranty company down the road. The Ford service receipt is pretty good ammo to prove that I've done the required service(s). BTW, labor was cheaper for me cause of the drainbolts. The service (excluding filter replacement)was about $10 cheaper than the flush-n-fill.

Old 01-14-2002, 12:02 PM
SVO
Junior User
V-10 bad vibrations

the problem your describing sounds just like the catayltic converter .my ford dealer told me they have replaced about 10 converters on 2000-01 f-250 because of this problem mine started the same way yours did but it got so bad my check engine light come on you need to get this looked at as soon as possible before warranty runs out if you have to pay for this it will cost you around 1200-1300 dollars .the dealer told me the baffles break inside the converter and under hard acceleration you get a bad rattle and in some cases like mine it stops the converter up . Hope this helps

Old 01-14-2002, 02:40 PM
Dodge no more
Freshman User
V-10 bad vibrations

>
>
> the problem your describing sounds just like the
>catayltic converter .my ford dealer told me they have
>replaced about 10 converters on 2000-01 f-250 because of
>this problem mine started the same way yours did but it got
>so bad my check engine light come on you need to get this
>looked at as soon as possible before warranty runs out if
>you have to pay for this it will cost you around 1200-1300
>dollars .the dealer told me the baffles break inside the
>converter and under hard acceleration you get a bad rattle
>and in some cases like mine it stops the converter up . Hope
>this helps

You know, you just might have something there. It is a sound that could be caused by baffles or something like that. Since it's very hard to determine where the noise is, it makes sense! Thanks alot, and I think I will mention this to my caring and compassionate dealer. (the dealer and me discussing this) ha

Old 01-14-2002, 06:14 PM
Batoutahell
Freshman User
V-10 bad vibrations

I think you guys are on the right track, I had what sounds like a similar noise, from what you describe, on my 2001 Lightning.

I had put on an aftermarket exhaust, so the dealer was out of the picture for this problem. I talked to the company and they said send it back to us, so I started dropping the exhaust.

What I found was one of the heat shields on the catalytic converter was loose. Two of the three welds had come loose. I grabbed my trusty mig welder and fixed it good. The noise never returned. Or at least I don't know of it coming back, because I traded the truck for my 2002 F250 cc v10.

Hope you get it fixed.

Bat

Old 02-26-2002, 03:39 AM
ow595
New User
V-10 bad vibrations

When you mentioned a shutter from way back, I had the same sound, which I believe is the same problem but from different but similar changes. I had this when I lifted my 2001 CC/SB and it would always be at the same rev range. It was because of the change in the angle of the drive train (drive shaft) to the differential. I shimmed the bearing housing, between the two drive shafts to elminate the vibration.
I'm thinking it maybe the same with your truck but because you were pulling a heavy load it may have changed the drive shaft angle enough (the oppisite way from mine) to create a bad angle and harmonic. See if it makes the same sound when the trucks unloaded.
Good Luck,

William
ow595(No Email Addresses In Posts!)
Santa Cruz, Ca
01 F250 V10 SD: 4x4/CC/SB lifted

Old 03-01-2002, 07:30 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
V-10 bad vibrations