1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Engine pulling tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 07:16 AM
john fin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine pulling tips

Well after some debate I have decided to yank the engine. If anyone has some good tips on doing this task I would appreciate it. Some questions I have are: 1. Should I pull the trans with it(would like to leave it but dont know if there is enough room to clear the trans input shaft), 2. are the 4 intake bolt threads strong enough to lift this beast. Thanks.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:28 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Truck and engine? I think you have a 49 but don't remember which engine.

I always prefer to pull the tranny with the engine. I also pull the front sheet metal off first. Two bolts per side on the inner fender, four on the running board and dust shield and the two mounting bolts on the bottom of the radiator support. One hefty helper and you can lift the fenders, grill and radiator out of the way. Makes pulling the engine much easier.

I have done it leaving the tranny in place and yes, the input shaft will clear (on a V8). I've never pulled a six..........
Tim

Old 08-21-2007, 08:32 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Tim nailed it. Pulling the front clip is very easy (well, sometimes the running board bolts can be a rusty pain..........almost easier to tightenthem until the break) If you pull the front clip you don't need to pull the hood, it can stay in place.

My truck was an inline 6, I pulled the engine and trans as a unit, easy as pie

Bobby

Old 08-21-2007, 08:42 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by mtflat
Truck and engine? I think you have a 49 but don't remember which engine.

I always prefer to pull the tranny with the engine. I also pull the front sheet metal off first. Two bolts per side on the inner fender, four on the running board and dust shield and the two mounting bolts on the bottom of the radiator support. One hefty helper and you can lift the fenders, grill and radiator out of the way. Makes pulling the engine much easier.

I have done it leaving the tranny in place and yes, the input shaft will clear (on a V8). I've never pulled a six..........
Tim
Disconnect all the front end wiring too.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:44 PM
53 Effie
Senior User
Hi John

I agree with everyone here when they say to pull the engine and transmittion out together. I find it much easier to reassemble the transmittion to the engine on the shop floor than it is to reassemble them in the truck.

Rick

Old 08-21-2007, 01:16 PM
john fin
Senior User
Pulling engine

Can I leave the fenders and just remove the grille or does the whole front clip have to come off? I have a feeling by the time I am done trying to get at what I need the whole truck will be in pieces on the garage floor.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:18 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Lete me put it this way.......NOPE!!

Its almost like they built the truck around the grill, its almost impossible to pull it out seperate.

Bobby

Old 08-21-2007, 01:43 PM
jareddill
Senior User
dont forget to un hook the speedo cable, and the reverse sensor (if its an auto)

when i pulled my V8 a wrapped a chain around the exhaust manifolds and pulled the motor and trans, the balance was almost perfect

Old 08-21-2007, 10:29 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I just pulled the 460/c6 out of my F100.. pulled the clip and used a carb lift plate.. using the rear hole (of 3) it was nicely balanced.
I have a balancer too, but its a pita most of the time..

Sam

Old 08-21-2007, 10:32 PM
kooper909
Elder User
The 3-speed in my '60 has no tailshaft, and it's not too hard to remove or install from underneath. I'll probably be pulling it off from there before I do my motor swap.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:31 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by kooper909
The 3-speed in my '60 has no tailshaft, and it's not too hard to remove or install from underneath. I'll probably be pulling it off from there before I do my motor swap.
Bonus Builts are different; there is a crossmember right behind the trans, you have to pull the trans up and out the interior, or pull it with the engine.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:35 AM
kooper909
Elder User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Bonus Builts are different; there is a crossmember right behind the trans, you have to pull the trans up and out the interior, or pull it with the engine.
Ahh, my mistake. I figured they must've had a similar setup, but I guess it's not that similar.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:42 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey John Fin

Just pull the radiator like you want to, however if you do that you will have to leave the transmission on the engine.
With the transmission attached it will make it easier to sit the engine on the front end and readjust the chains to drag it over the sheet metal.
Oh, if you decide to go your own way make sure you don't block the tranny, that way it can twist enough to let the input shaft slide out. Usuall it will bend the cross member enough without breaking the mount tabs.

Have fun and be sure to let us know how things worked out.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:46 AM
john fin
Senior User
Pulling it

I am going to take it out as one unit, engine and trans. Found out last night that I will have to remove the front bumper to get my lift closer to the engine. I was planning on using the 4 intake bolts for the pull, is this ok? With a tilter I think it might just work. I'll post pics soon.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:03 AM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should be fine. Remember to use a bolt that will tighten the chain to the block or head. If the chain is loose it can bend the bolt or change position suddenly with the engine hanging, not fun.

Quick Reply: Engine pulling tips