Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel leak?

Old 08-15-2007, 03:23 PM
deemac
Senior User
deemac is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
fuel leak?

Hey guys, I've been noticing that my fuel tank is wet with diesel. It's not so bad that its dripping off but it is wet. I was wondering if this is just a normal thing, like an overflow or something. Or should I pull the tank and figure out where the fuel is coming from. If I have to pull the tank, is there any other things I should do at the same time?

Old 08-15-2007, 04:30 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..
papadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to behold
Is this all the time or only after filling?

Worst case scenario - i've actually got a 2nd tank that I got for $25 that i'm not using - but let's try and see what's up with yours first

Old 08-15-2007, 09:34 PM
aklim
Post Fiend
aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.
Could be the hose clamps are loose?

Old 08-16-2007, 02:03 PM
papadelogan
papadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to behold
Any update of this issue deemac?

Old 08-17-2007, 01:01 AM
deemac
Senior User
deemac is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm not sure if it leaks all the time, its wet all the time but diesel really doesnt evaporate. Sorry for not replying, i've been really busy with work and family.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:50 AM
papadelogan
Do us a favor:

1. Update your profile - that way we know where you are located
2. Get a glass cleaner that foams and clean off your tank - that will also make it dry

Once your tank is dry, then you can tell if it leaks constantly, or only at fill-ups

Also, does the leak appear to be coming from the front or rear of the tank? Maybe the middle? more on the inside than the outside of the tank?

Get back when you can - we'll be here to help

Old 08-17-2007, 08:43 AM
aklim
Post Fiend
aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.
You are going to need to put dye in it or something because either your hoses are leaking or the large O-ring seal is leaking or your tank is cracked.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:46 AM
papadelogan
Where would you be able to pickup some dye for diesel? and would you need to worry about getting dipped?

Old 08-17-2007, 08:51 AM
aklim
Post Fiend
NAPA or many auto parts stores.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:24 AM
papadelogan
Good to know. I'm assuming that it tests differently than the dye used in farm/off-road diesel?

Old 08-17-2007, 09:29 AM
aklim
Post Fiend
I would say so.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Fat Diesel
Postmaster
Fat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud of
I'd guess it's the hose clamp on the fill tube somewhere.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:19 PM
papadelogan
Smile

Originally Posted by Fat Diesel
I'd guess it's the hose clamp on the fill tube somewhere.
We can sure hope that's it but even if it's a cracked tank, I've got a spare one I wouldn't mind getting out of the shed! That or it's a perfect reason to step up to the 55gal AeroTank replacement unit!!!