Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

virgin truck buyer needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 01:37 PM
gaited_girl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
virgin truck buyer needs advice

Hi there , this is my first post to this forum too. So here is my deal. I need to buy a truck to haul around my horses. I picked Ford because I have a 65 Ford Mustang that I restored, my Dad had Fords, I like how Fords look and I seldom hear bad things about them. I want a diesel, at least a 250/ 7.3l and I am looking in the late 80's to mid 90's, for price reasons mostly. I am not opposed to manual trans if they are more reliable. (Gooseneck hitch and duals would be ideal.) What are the major things I should look for as far as common problems and are there visible warning signs for said problems. (If there is a thread for this question already, I am sorry to repeat, and could you give me the link.) I appreciate any advice and info.
Thanks
Terre

Old 08-08-2007, 02:03 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
You won't hear anything different from anyone, but you have definitely chosen the most reliable and best made trucks to work with. The 7.3L powerstroke is one of the best motors ever made. They routinely go to 500k miles with just oil changes, and I know of a few that have cracked 1 million miles - without a rebuild.

A manual is always going to be more reliable than an auto.

If you want a dually, then you are stuck with an F-350. It shouldn't be hard at all to find a diesel dually with a manual, but most of them are going to be crewcabs. That's a lot of truck, but they make excellent tow rigs.

Common problems are rust (I don't know where you live, so I don't know if that's a factor or not - consider buying a truck from a rust-free part of the country) and the CPS - camshaft position sensor - on the powerstroke. Most people carry a couple spares and the tools to change them on the side of the road.

Other than that, there aren't really a lot of common problems. They're very solid trucks.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:21 PM
gaited_girl
New User
I am looking at a a few 350s, most are crew with the duals... why? I would like mileage+. I don't mind "a lot of truck". LOL, I am kinda smallish and I love jumping out of big trucks with big trailers behind them. I live in Portland, Or, so rust is not a problem. That's why I get to drive my Mustang all year.
So what do you think when an add says... "smokes a little, but starts right up and runs great" Also many of these are 4x4. How does the suspension/ front end hold up?
Do most of the duals come with a bed hitch?
Thanks again
Terre

Old 08-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Diesels are supposed to smoke a little black, but only black. On a diesel black smoke indicates a rich fuel mixture so it is healthy for that to happen when you give her some juice. On the other hand, if she smokes white that is a lean fuel mixture which indicates problems...

Suspension on F250+ trucks is leaf springs all around (until recently) and there shouldn't be any problem there, especially with the bigger trucks, they typically have bigger/strong spring packs. Funny you mention the front axle because another benefit of buying an F350 instead of an F250 is the solid front axle instead of twin traction beam, much stronger although you pay the price in the way the truck rides and handles. Good luck with the search, can't wait to see what you find.

Welcome to FTE!!

Last edited by Skandocious; 08-08-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:47 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Heh... define "mileage +". You're looking at 16-18 or so with the powerstroke and a manual. It's pretty normal for a diesel to smoke a little at startup. Usually not a major issue. The front suspension on a 4x4 F-350 is a highly coveted and valued piece of equipment. They are popular swaps into all kinds of offroad trucks and see heavy amounts of abuse.

The bed hitch is an aftermarket item, so you may or may not get one. They're cheap compared to what you are looking at spending on the truck.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:15 AM
gaited_girl
New User
Ok, all sounds good so far. Tell me about repairs. Is it more expensive to repair a diesel than a gas engine? Kind of a trade off... will run for 300,000 miles, but be ready to give it up when you do need something done? When I say mileage, I mean anything more than I am getting with my friends truck, like 8 mpg, and apparently I get pretty good because I "drive like a white boy". What that means coming from a white boy to a white girl... I am not sure :P. LOL.
what do you all think about this truck?
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/car/363764265.html

Old 08-09-2007, 01:27 AM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would shy away from any diesel that has an auto transmission. Those engines put out a lot of torque and they are pretty notorious for tearing through the troublesome E4OD transmission. Also, Ford was still using the 7.3L IDI diesel engine until 93, when they switched to the 7.3L powerstroke, a turbocharged International engine; much better engine. If you're looking to get a diesel, and you don't mind throwing down an extra few bucks for the added bonus of that extra power, you'll probably want to get at the VERY least a 94-95, and it would be most favorable to get a ZF 5-speed manual transmission, although not completely necessary.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:34 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My dad has a 91 7.3 supercab longbox single rear wheel 4x4. He has a 5 speed in it, and when he got it, the guy he bought it from put an aftermarket turbo on it. His average mpg was 25, and the truck lasted him a long time. He finally blew it up by using too much ether in it one winter, and the motor finally gave up on him!