Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 03:13 PM
bartender
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What to do?

I have a dilema. My local dealer has made me an offer that is hard to refuse. I have an 03 F-350, cc, srw, longbed, 7.3, FX4, Lariat.
The mods that I have are:4'' exhaust, supertuner, AIE ford intake, gauges, zoodadand ccv mod.
The dealer has offered me $20,000 in trade on an 08 that is almost exactly like my 03. The new truck lists for about 49,900. With the $9000 off list they have advertised around here, that makes the difference $20,900. My truck has 97,500 miles or so. It also needs new rubber. It will most likely need a transmission in less than a year. So should I bite the bullet and trade, or should I try and build a truck that is close to bullet proof? Thanks, Jonathan

Old 08-05-2007, 03:22 PM
mud rat jr.
Senior User
I would keep your 03 the 6.4 is just not proven yet, besides 20k seems low value for your current ride.just my thoughts.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:37 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Its hard to refuse, but I would push for 25k on the trade. Especially if it is paid for. Of course, I don't think I would want to trade a paid off truck for a monthly payment.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 799 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by bartender
I have a dilema. My local dealer has made me an offer that is hard to refuse. I have an 03 F-350, cc, srw, longbed, 7.3, FX4, Lariat.
The mods that I have are:4'' exhaust, supertuner, AIE ford intake, gauges, zoodadand ccv mod.
The dealer has offered me $20,000 in trade on an 08 that is almost exactly like my 03. The new truck lists for about 49,900. With the $9000 off list they have advertised around here, that makes the difference $20,900. My truck has 97,500 miles or so. It also needs new rubber. It will most likely need a transmission in less than a year. So should I bite the bullet and trade, or should I try and build a truck that is close to bullet proof? Thanks, Jonathan
You live on the east coast where they salt the roads a lot. How badly is your truck effected by all that?
Trucks over here on the left coast can be 20 years old and no rust at all. It makes them worth keeping, but on the east side they get so rusty that all sorts of problems start to pop up after a while and it starts to get worth it to get rid of the vehicle for a good price while you can.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:20 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Ive driven our 08, and my 02, and i have to say, the 08 just felt cheap on the inside to me. And the steering wheel felt too submerged into the dash. If its what you like, then you should get it. For me, i just hate the new interior, and well you cant see the exterior when your driving it. I know my cruise control works better then the 6.0 or 6.4 trucks. You will never find a more consistant cruise then whats on our 7.3 trucks IMO. It would seem to me, if the dealer really gives you 20k on your trade, and the 9k off, it would be worth it. But you shoudl get that in a written quote, as dealers, and salesmen in general are unreliable people. Tomarro you may be geting 15k for your truck, and only 4.5k off. Get it in writing then decide.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:53 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BARTENDER,,

Your truck is like new with the miles you have, and an 03'???? My wife did her damndest to get me to buy an 08'. I just kept telling her "I LOVE MY TRUCK", It might have been a trick because she is getting a new mustang GT. I spend a little time in the 6.4 forumn and I don't think it's time to buy one of them at this time. But whatever you do is up to you. Come visit us time to time. lol

Old 08-05-2007, 06:25 PM
yamaguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a hard one to pass up. I think that the 6.4 is great for it's first year. I have searted seeing alot of them in the transporting bussiness. We will know very shortly as full-time transporters run about 3000 miles/ week. I haven't been able to talk with any of them yet, but as soon as I do I will post it. If I was gonna buy a new truck right now I would definitely go with a 6.4. There are a few guys on the 6.4 fourm that have chopped the DPF out and straight-piped it as well.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:43 PM
bartender
New User
Thanks for all of the replies. I asked the same question on the 6.4 forum and they have said about the same thing. A few of the things that I did not mention is that my hpop is weak. I can't run jody tunes. When I tried, I got a lot of some and less power. When i talked to Jody about it he mentioned the hpop. Also the ball joints are starting to go. I guess I really can't complain, I it has never had the front end aligned since new. So for now, I am squarely on the middle of the fence. Thanks again, Jonathan

Old 08-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Mike F250
Laughing Gas

Half the differnce in $$ between your trade in and the new truck would be enough cash to take care of all your current maint/repair items. I agree with kwik on teh rust issue though. My truck has been in MI since new and I need to start tending to the rust b4 it becomes visible on the exterior. Body work and paint is expensive.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 799 Likes on 610 Posts
I hate east coast cars when they come into the shop. EVERY nut and bolt is rounded off just from the salt eating away at it. Nearly impossible to repair.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:00 AM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
I hate east coast cars when they come into the shop. EVERY nut and bolt is rounded off just from the salt eating away at it. Nearly impossible to repair.
HAHA my cars resemble that remark! lol Its even worse living here, and having to work on them haha!