Sponsored by: DP Tuner

For Banks Power Owners or Anyone Else

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 12:04 PM
USAF CCM
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Banks Power Owners or Anyone Else

I've read various opinions over the past couple years on FTE concerning this tuner, or that programer like Edge, DP, Superchip, Hypermax, Hypertech, etc including Banks.

Since I purchased my truck in Nov 2001 I've been waiting for the day to install the Banks Power Pack. I chose Banks based on the data I've read from them, and having visited their shop (campus) in October 2003.

I've already lifted my truck 4" and installed 315/75R/16's and experienced the expected power loss. I'm at the point where I may be able to purchase a power upgrade system (I already have 7 gauges installed).

I'd like to get some honest feedback regarding your expected outcome vs actual experience performance wise vs the cost.

BTW, my use of the truck is daily driver, hunting truck and occasionally tow a 31 TT; also my right foot weighs about 100 lbs more than my left.

FAVORITE QUOTES from ME
"I believe in keeping the flow of traffic moving safely.....but moving swiftly"! and "Despite what people believe, most people really can't chew gum and walk at the same time i.e. drive and talk on a cell phone"

Thanks, Les

Old 08-02-2007, 01:19 PM
fbilly420
Senior User
as far as the banks exhaust goes you can get the same thing for alot less from some other company and the six gun tuner is NOT worth the money. IMO
hope this helps. Billy

Old 08-02-2007, 02:01 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm a big fan of the DP tuner myself. Best money I have spent in a looooong time.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:16 PM
7.3L DID TD
Elder User
Ok here's my take on Banks stuff. I too got hooked on Banks Performance Packs just reading the descriptions and falling into the buzz word trap in 2003 I purchased Banks Stinger Kit. Being a diesel neophyte I thought cool an added 68Hp and an added 128 ft. lbs. of torque and no real major changes. First off I didn't like the Banks Ram-Air® filter just another K&N wet filter that is detrimental to the turbo/engine, the OttoMind® Module is pretty straight forward and easy to install, the BigHead® Wastegate Actuator is nice it's on my truck now and I guess it's doing it's job, but a PITA to install I have learned to dislike e-clips, the Monster® muffler and the Monster exhaust is your moneys worth there are less expensive units out there, but it's been on my truck for 4 years and still works and looks good and was easily installed, the TransCommand® works well, I pull an 11000 5'er and it provided solid shifts between gears but, it's currently not on my truck, the DynaFact® gauges IMO are not so good, sure they work well initially when I received them Banks sent only two and back-ordered the trans gauge, OK on with install anyway we'll just back track to put in the trans gauge. It does show up days later different color and these gauges are still in my truck! Sun faded! The install was straight forward took my brother and I 8.5 hours from start to finish with 8.5 minutes to woof down a sandwich and a coke. I can't really say weather or not I got 68HP and 128 lbs. of torque but I was somewhat satisfied with added performance just not the cost. Currently the only original items from my Stinger kit still on my truck are gauges and exhaust and my new gauges are in hand I just have to find time to install them.

Last edited by 7.3L DID TD; 08-02-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:29 PM
John311t
Postmaster
Banks stuff is useless. The only thing that is in my mind "good" from them is maybe there intercooler. DP tuner for a chip, Isspro/autometer/diprocals for gauges, transgo shift kit or BTS vb, Spearco intercooler(if you even want an upgraded IC), tymar intake or AIS intake, for exhaust look at our sponsors on here if you want SS but if your going with aluminized just go to ebay and search for MKO exhaust. You WILL make more power with those mods and it will be done safely. What I listed is probably cheaper than the bank power pack. If you take off the SPearco intercooler your MUCH cheaper. Cheaper + Fast = unreal but its true. With banks your paying for advertisments.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You'll see stories like the above one over and over again. People buy Banks, then sell it off piece by piece as they add better stuff. In the end, they kick themselves for wasting lots of money.

Much of the Banks products are good quality, you just won't get the power that you can buy for much cheaper elsewhere, and for the same or even better quality.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:56 PM
7.3L DID TD
Elder User
I'm double kicking myself, I didn't even get to sell the stuff I took off.
Oh well it's a learning thing, I'm good with it. Would I do it again NO WAY! It sounds as if USAF CCM has already purchased the Banks Performance Kit, he's still on the fence weather or not to install it.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:21 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Ill say this- Banks powe stuff IS good quality and it works well together. However you can get alot BETTER quality parts that run cooler, give more power, torque, and drivabilty for the same or even less money. I used to think that the Banks IC was about the only thing that they offered that was good, however i found out that it is just a larger version of the stock IC, same tube and fin design. The Spearco is much better as it is a Bar and Plate design.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:33 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
The things we all wish we would've known before we bought their crap. Kris's aviator explains everything you need to know

Cowboy Steve

Old 08-02-2007, 04:37 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
aviator?? AVATAR

I actually drive around with that sticker too..

Old 08-02-2007, 04:43 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Aviator, avator. patatoe, potatoe. lol

Did you make that sticker? I dont assume you can buy them from Banks

Cowboy Steve

Old 08-02-2007, 05:32 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
I had the calvin sticker made to the size i wanted, and used a regular Banks sticker...

Old 08-02-2007, 05:37 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,992 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by powerstroked162
I dont assume you can buy them from Banks
BWA HA HA HA HAHA A HA HAHAHAH AHA A HHAHAHAH HA

My gut hurts.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:39 PM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
I had the calvin sticker made to the size i wanted, and used a regular Banks sticker...
Im tempted to annonymously email that to Banks, lol.

Cowboy Steve

Old 08-02-2007, 05:46 PM
15 and 92 Dad
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too bought into the hole BANKS thing, fortunately for me I got the everything for $200 bucks all still new in the box, No it wasnt hot (Six gun, big head, trans command, full guages and 3 pod pillar) after installation I thought I had done something wrong, I removed my 80hp superchip to instal this crap! So I reinstalled the Superchip along with the six gun, it ran good then, BUT NOTHING COPARED TO THE D,P TUNER I installed last month. WOW! Now this thing ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont waste your money on the banks stuff, its WAY over priced for what you get!!!!

Rich

Quick Reply: For Banks Power Owners or Anyone Else