Sponsored by:

U-joint Assembly Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 07:26 PM
tchad07
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U-joint Assembly Problem

I've just installed new u-joints on my '95 Bronco but have not yet re-installed the driveshaft into the vehicle.

I had a bit of trouble recessing the cap on one of the u-joints deep enough to insert the retaining clip. I had to pound it a couple of pretty good licks with a socket and 4lb. hammer to get the clearance necessary to install the retaining clip.

That particular u-joint is much stiffer and seems like there's a catch in it when it is rotated. I'm wondering if something went wrong during the assembly. I coated all of the needle bearings with synthetic grease to make sure they didn't fall inside during the assembly process.

Is it possible to install a u-joint with a needle bearing that has gotten out of place and gotten pressed into the back of the cap? I've read somewhere before that if you can't push the cap far enough in to insert the retaining ring, a needle bearing is probably causing the problem.

I got it installed, but it sure feels a lot different than all of the other u-joints. Anybody had a similar experience?

Old 08-01-2007, 07:48 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a groove in the end of the center piece, and it may be trying to grind on the inside of the cap. You need to move the caps out and make some room. Remember how you removed the caps? You need to do the same thing, only this time with the clips still in. This will free up the joint, and it will not be so tight, and should fix her up.
I am pretty sure that you could not get the clips in all the way if a bearing was in the way.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:51 PM
tchad07
Freshman User
Reply to 75F350

Thanks for the advice. The possiblity of it grinding on the bottom of the end cap makes sense. I'll give your suggestion a try and post a reply about whether that fixes it or not.

I'll probably have to do it with a hammer and sockets since my vice is really a woodworking vice, and pressing out the old u-joints really did a number on it.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:47 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
FWIW: If a roller/bearing is out of place and you try to press the cap on, it will most likely break the cap instead of going on enough to get the clip in. So ... it is probably something else.

If you greased the joint/cap/bearings before hand, you might have to remove the zerk to let out some pressure.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:43 AM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Don't use a vice to sdo u-joints, i mean it works and all but it really spreads apart the yokes on the ds, use a sledge (8lb) and a thick chunk of steel to pound on and a socket that can go through the yoke, pound on the welds as they won't dent and you should be good to go.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:56 PM
tchad07
Freshman User
Found the Problem

Thanks to all those that responded to my problem.

I took the u-joint apart and guess what, one of the needle bearings had fallen into the bottom of the cap during the assembly process.

Contrary to popular belief, I'm living proof that you can put the retaining clip in with a stray needle bearing. I must have jarred it loose during the hammering process. If my woodworking vice had been able to handle the job, this probably wouldn't have happened.

Anyway, I took a needle bearing out of one of my old u-joints (which are still good) and put it in the new one. This isn't what I would normally do, but the closest parts store that has the u-joints is almost 100 miles away.