2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking Differential

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:28 AM
jstnromero
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locking Differential

Hey guys,
Right now I have an open differential and I get into quite a bit of trouble during the winter. I was wondering what locking differentials are out there that would help me combat this problem. I do a fair bit of off roading but usually dont have many problems as it is usually just on a ranch or something. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Old 07-31-2007, 09:15 PM
bigdavewilson
Elder User
Originally Posted by jstnromero
Hey guys,
Right now I have an open differential and I get into quite a bit of trouble during the winter. I was wondering what locking differentials are out there that would help me combat this problem. I do a fair bit of off roading but usually dont have many problems as it is usually just on a ranch or something. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance
I was talking to a gear shop a couple of weeks ago. Their main thing is Detroit rear gears and I was looking at a Detroit limited slip. The cost of the gears and carrier was about 900 bucks. However, when I asked for an installed price it came out at $3000. The service tech said that it is not unusual to find that all the bearings need to be replaced. If the axles show problems they usually take about a week to get and cost another $500.

Certainly Auburn also is a source for top quality gears.

The more I look into this the more that I feel that what the average off-roader wants is a top quality limited slip ( which the factory one is not).

The bottom line is to find a top rated gear supplier and listen to what they have to say. They want repeat business and therefore going to recommend what is best for you.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:55 AM
double06
Junior User
Originally Posted by bigdavewilson
I was talking to a gear shop a couple of weeks ago. Their main thing is Detroit rear gears and I was looking at a Detroit limited slip. The cost of the gears and carrier was about 900 bucks. However, when I asked for an installed price it came out at $3000. The service tech said that it is not unusual to find that all the bearings need to be replaced. If the axles show problems they usually take about a week to get and cost another $500.

Certainly Auburn also is a source for top quality gears.

The more I look into this the more that I feel that what the average off-roader wants is a top quality limited slip ( which the factory one is not).

The bottom line is to find a top rated gear supplier and listen to what they have to say. They want repeat business and therefore going to recommend what is best for you.

3,000?? Whoa.. I don't think that is what the poster was looking for. I know exactly what he is talking about as my SCREW was an open carrier and I would have to switch to 4wd for the dumbest of situations. What I did was buy an OEM type limited slip off of ebay I think.. and had an offroad shop install it. Can't remember exactly but the grand total was way less than 500! My only regret is I should have got a Detroit true trac and I think its priced in the high $400s and intallation costed me 120. So what I'm saying is if you go with a name brand limited slip then the total cost shouldn't exceed 600. Just my two brown brothers!

Old 08-01-2007, 10:37 AM
scottie2hottie
Postmaster
find a limslip axle at a junkyard........couple hundred bucks and you're good to go.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:51 PM
VFR_Man
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdavewilson
The service tech said that it is not unusual to find that all the bearings need to be replaced.
That's news to me, I would have expected the other way 'round. I think he was including the cost of replacing the muffler bearings too.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:19 PM
thechief96
Senior User
I would go to a different shop for a quote. Way to high.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:39 AM
scottie2hottie
Postmaster
That quote given was with new gears axles bearings and a partridge in a pear tree. Just a locker won't be near that much.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:04 PM
BandBFord
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"I was talking to a gear shop a couple of weeks ago. Their main thing is Detroit rear gears and I was looking at a Detroit limited slip. The cost of the gears and carrier was about 900 bucks. However, when I asked for an installed price it came out at $3000. The service tech said that it is not unusual to find that all the bearings need to be replaced."

You can buy the gears ($170.00), detroit locker ($648.00) and master brg kit ($81.00) total - $899.00

$2100.00 in labor? So at a shop rate of $65.00 an hour it will take them 32+ hours to install a set of gears with the locker - you need to find another shop.

Even a bad shop should be able to do this in 6-8 hours or less!

Old 08-02-2007, 04:25 PM
MBuRDeN
New User
I had a 94 mustang befor my truck and i installed a set of 3.73s myself not to hard had some good directions. i got the gears and a rearend rebuild kit i was able to do everything myself except i need to get the new bearings pressed on at a shop(which my brother use to work for so they did it for free) i did it in a weekend never had a problem with them im thinking about getting myself a locking also and will be doing it myself again