1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

WOT/HPOP/CEL/EGT questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 01:44 PM
MagKarl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOT/HPOP/CEL/EGT questions

When you guys say you can set off your CEL and run up your EGT and have to back off in WOT situations, what do you really mean? Are you flooring it as in under load and still building speed, pulling steady at high RPM, or are you saying you're already at 3K+RPM? I've got stage 1's but no chip yet, so I'm worried about what kind of HPOP and EGT trouble I might find myself in once I get the chip. I don't understand yet how much driving style has to do with the CEL/EGT troubles. Is this a hot-rodding induced problem, or should I expect it when towing or running empty too? Is a CEL induced by RPM, or load, duration, all? Please educate me.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:07 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
First, the CEL is set when the injectors demand more oil than the HPOP can put out. This "usually" happens when you punch it and hold the throttle down and your approaching the upper RPMs.
Basicly, the more fuel that you dump (and dump it faster) into the engine the higher your EGT's will go. Normal driving and alittle hot rodding should not be an EGT problem.
But if you get on the throttle and hold it down with larger injectors (meaning your dumping more fuel) your EGT's will climb and if you do not back out of the throttle you will run the EGT's up high enough to do engine damage.
When towing, you just have to keep an eye on the EGT's. When pulling a load up a long hill, or if you get on the throttle hard and hold it, the EGT's will go up. Once the EGT's reach approx. 1100 degrees you need to back off of the throttle to keep the EGT's from going to high. I hope this has answered some of your questions. If you need more specific info, just ask.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:12 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only time I will set the cel is whenenver I am in a higher hp tune going up a hill at wot. When towing I turn the program down and it wont set the cel.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:18 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep pretty much Plowhand has it under control. EGT's are mainly a hotrodding concern or heavy towing concern. Before the intercooler went in EGT's as well as CEL were a concern for 0-70 WOT runs. Now its 0-85 WOT after the intercooler. EGT's are easily controlled by your right foot and the chip position. You just might not be able to go as fast as you want to keep them under control.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:38 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

but I want to ask to Foremanes where have you been?, and congrats for your 1000 post

Old 07-27-2007, 03:09 PM
MagKarl
Elder User
Thanks for the input. I'm just trying to figure out how to drive and keep things in check. I understand that the HPOP function is driving the CEL. I know more fuel means higher EGT. I know there are lots of guys running stage 1's with good programming and no SD HPOP or intercooler, just hoping to get some general idea of what kind of load, boost, RPM scenarios start causing problems. What's considered high RPM? How about towing, what's heavy, 5000 or 10000? I know there's no specific answer. My diesel experience is recent and slim at best. I suppose it's just one of those thing's I'll have to learn on my own. I got guages this week and exhaust should be here in the next few days.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:24 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
heavy for most guys on here is probably more then 10k... i personally consider "heavy" as 12k+ and high rpm is anything above 3k, and i have a question for you now!!! did you also get a new downpipe? if not try to get ahold of a 3" or 3.5"

Old 07-27-2007, 03:28 PM
MagKarl
Elder User
I ordered a 3-4" DP and 4" exhaust from Dale at Tymar.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:34 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MagKarl
I ordered a 3-4" DP and 4" exhaust from Dale at Tymar.
straight pipe i'm assuming, dale's a good guy to deal with, try to get an intake from him soon to get that SAWEET turbo whistle

Old 07-27-2007, 03:38 PM
MagKarl
Elder User
No cat, but I did get a muffler. He said it's straight through like a glasspack. I already have a Tymar intake on it.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:16 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
gotcha...........

Old 07-27-2007, 09:22 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Originally Posted by MagKarl
Thanks for the input. I'm just trying to figure out how to drive and keep things in check. I understand that the HPOP function is driving the CEL. I know more fuel means higher EGT. I know there are lots of guys running stage 1's with good programming and no SD HPOP or intercooler, just hoping to get some general idea of what kind of load, boost, RPM scenarios start causing problems. What's considered high RPM? How about towing, what's heavy, 5000 or 10000? I know there's no specific answer. My diesel experience is recent and slim at best. I suppose it's just one of those thing's I'll have to learn on my own. I got guages this week and exhaust should be here in the next few days.
MagKarl, with Stages I's your HPOP should be O.K. unless you like to hotrod, then it will set the CEL. (Hotrod = throttle on the floor "WOT" until you run out of road, see a cop, sharp turn, etc.) Alittle "getting on it" should not cause a problem (i.e. laying down some smoke, passing a ricer, barking the tires, etc.)
High Boost = 20+
High RPM's are usally around 3000 as glasseater said.
Heavy tow load = again like glasseater said 12K+ (I haul a 15K loader/backhoe on a 4.5K trailer "19.5K total tow weight". For me this is heavy and I can only pull big hills doing about 55 mph, if I try it any faster I run the EGT's up to 1200 really fast and have to back out of it. But I can haul 4-5K of seed or lumber on the same trailer and do the hills at around 65. On the flats I could go as fast as I want to without a EGT problem. Remember EGT's go up depending on the load that is placed on the engine, i.e. light engine load = low EGT's & heavy engine load = high EGT's.)

One of your most important gauges is your pyrometer. Watch this and it will keep you out of trouble no matter what set up you have or how your drive. Again, I hope this answers some of your questions. If not ask away.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Excellent info Plow thanks. This is the detailed info I have been curious about for awhile. I pull alot also and am curious about the EGT's etc. I also want stage II's and need input like this to help with my decision. I assume you don't have a chip though how does that work for ya'?

Old 07-28-2007, 12:48 PM
MagKarl
Elder User
That was exactly the type of info I was looking for Plowhand. Sounds like I should be ok most of the time. I'll never haul loads like that on a regular basis. Reading your sig, I'm curious like Neal as to what you're running for programming to take advantage of your stage 2's. Still running your stock 15 degree HPOP?

Old 07-28-2007, 08:15 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
but I want to ask to Foremanes where have you been?, and congrats for your 1000 post
Hey buddy just out of school for the summer and working. Only get to check on here when I have the patience to mess with dial up (which isnt very often). WOW 1000 posts I have sure have learnded a lot here lol . Ill be back and posting in the next month.

Quick Reply: WOT/HPOP/CEL/EGT questions