Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Power Windows Question

Old 07-19-2007, 11:01 PM
VNgeezer
New User
VNgeezer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Power Windows Question

Hello, I have a 53 F100 and my window regulators are in bad shape. I am thinking I will convert to power windows. I am leaning towards the Electric Life power regulators since they are direct bolt in. Does any one have these in their truck and if so are they a good set up or should i go with a universal kit?

By the way, this is a great forum. I have been a member for a while but this is my first post.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Kusto is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I too have been thinking of running power windows in my 48 F-68 and am looking forward to seeing what others have done. Rather than using rocker switches I was thinking of using a switch that would use the stock handle rather tham the rocker switch. I can't remember the brand but I have seen them in one of the hot rod mags I buy.

I'm sure someone on here will have some experience with this.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:26 PM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
I used the universal type that looks like a sliding T square with a tail. Installation was easy: pull out the old regulator and glass, shorten the track for length, drill a couple mounting holes and add a strap iron lower mount, reinstall the glass in the new regulator, mount and wire switches, hook up the power and there you go.
There are a few pix in my making changes gallery.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:09 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
LEckart is starting off with a positive reputation.
You might want to do a search on this site for power windows in a '53. Although I don't currently have a 53 I recall there is a need to do some metal trimming at the bottom window opening on the door that you don't have to do on a 56. Classic Trucks magazine also did a tech article on a power window install in the F100 so you might check the tech articles on their website also. If you decide to use the ElectraLife direct bolt-ins let us know how they are. I'm thinking of them for my 56. Good luck.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:33 PM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by LEckart
You might want to do a search on this site for power windows in a '53. Although I don't currently have a 53 I recall there is a need to do some metal trimming at the bottom window opening on the door that you don't have to do on a 56. Classic Trucks magazine also did a tech article on a power window install in the F100 so you might check the tech articles on their website also. If you decide to use the ElectraLife direct bolt-ins let us know how they are. I'm thinking of them for my 56. Good luck.
Someone else who put PW in a 53-55 I'm sure will chime in, but I think the trimming is only needed when you remove the vent windows to install 1 piece glass. If you just want the original rollup window powered I don't believe you need to modify the door. But since I have a 56 I may be wrong.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:43 PM
LM14
Senior User
LM14 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thinking of electric windows for my '57. Anyone done a set of them? Since the window frame is on an angle, do you mount the motor and track parallel to the tracks or the bottom window opening? Looks like you would have to mount parallel to the window tracks to get everything to work, am I missing something?

Thanks,
SPark

Old 07-20-2007, 05:55 PM
AXracer
Post Fiend
Does the glass move at an angle or straight up with the side edges cut at an angle?
I'd expect you would mount it perpendicular to the bottom of the glass so the glass moves in the same direction it moves with the manual regulator.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:11 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
LEckart is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ax, you may be correct on the ventless window opening only needing modification. It may not be necessary for the window with the vent. I just rememver there was an issue with the 53 and I'm too old to remember much more.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:27 PM
AXracer
Post Fiend
In the 53-55 the (roll down) door glass and the vent glass are not in a straight line when viewed from above. To replace both with one piece of flat glass you need to straighten the channel in the top of the door, or else you must use a specially bent piece of glass that matches the angle of the channel. I believe there are aftermarket suppliers for both systems, but obviously the bent glass is much more expensive. On the 56 the door and vent windows are in a straight line.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:23 AM
Okiedokie
Posting Guru
Okiedokie has a good reputation on FTE.Okiedokie has a good reputation on FTE.Okiedokie has a good reputation on FTE.
I have the Electric Life in my 53. Work great, easy install.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.