Sponsored by:

How to fix factory gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 08:10 AM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How to fix factory gauges?

Yes I know that the factory gauges are junk. But I would still like to make them work as new. I know that my oil pressure is good and the truck runs cool. I just use the gauges to see if anything abnormal happens. I really do not want aftermarket guages, and then have a bunch of non-functioning ones taking up lots of dashboard real estate for no reason.

I do not know why these gauges are so annoying, but something made them stop working properly and that something can be fixed. I read about the cluster voltage regulator and I bought one, but when I took off the cluster there was no regulator. I know that is it supposed to be on the back of the guage cluster but it wasn't! I was totally baffled. Unless the previous owner removed the regulator for some reason? I am not even sure what they look like but I got what I think are a couple of them from the boneyard. So it would be EXTREMELY helpful to me if somebody could post a picture of the instrument panel voltage regulator for a 1990. I also have two complete sets of the gauges from the boneyard - not the cluster but the snap in gauges that go into the cluster (if you have ever taken yours apart then you know what I am talking about.

Again - I just want these gauges to function. I know that the oil pressure gauge is a glorified idiot light. So maybe I'm an idiot! But I'd like it to work anyway. But here are the problems with the gauges -

Voltage gauge - stopped working entirely about a year ago and would very rarely come back for a minute if I hit a big bump. But that was very rare. However, it has been working ever since I had the broken actuator for the ignition switch replaced (the part inside the top of the steering column). The mechanic called to ask me if I knew about the gauge and I told him yes and that if he saw something simple to just fix it, otherwise not to worry about it. He did not mention it when I picked the truck up, but the gauge has been working ever since and does not seem to be affected by bumps etc.

Oil pump gauge - It's got many personalities. I varies day to day where it sits. but it does sit steady wherever it decides to stay. Although sometimes it will move by as much as 1/4 but it does not jerk, like a short or something would. The oil pressure on the truck is good.

Temp gauge - Worked properly until a couple of months ago when it started resting on about 1/8 and mostly stays there although it will rise a bit. the sender was not very old but I am going to replace it again.

Fuel gauge - Works fine. The float etc. in the tank was replaced last year when the fuel pump was replaced.

What I've done -

Voltage - nothing much. It either fixed itself when the column etc. was off or the mechanic found something simple and fixed it. I am pretty sure that it was just a loose connection because of the way that it jumped a couple of times.

Oil pressure - replaced sending unit three times with no change.

Temp - have replaced sender twice, going to try that again today.

I have also removed the cluster and cleaned all contacts and tightened all connections as needed.

OK - I would immediately chalk this up to an electrical problem, but everything on the cluster is tied together and the fuel gauge works perfectly. These gauges have worked when the truck was newer and worked perfectly, all four of them at the same time! up to a couple of years ago. Now if it's not one acting up then it's another. But anything can be fixed and I would really like to fix these problems.

If it comes down to it (and please don't pay too much attention to this because it's not in my plans right now), but if I could manage to find some gauges that would more or less fit where the factory ones are with some modification and look clean then I would possibly do that. But that's just a thought and I really just want to fix my stock gauges. And I would need a fuel gauge and since it is connected physically to the oil pressure gauge then it cannot be kept by itself. I don't know what the aftermarket is like for 32 gallon fuel gauges. And actually since the cluster is modular and everything plugs in to the circuit board on the cluster, I don't even know how disconnecting some or all of the gauges affects the rest of the stuff on the cluster. But if I do end up having to go this route, and I modify a cluster to accept the gauges, I'd really like digital ones because they would look quite nice!

Thanks!

Last edited by JBronco; 06-30-2007 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:31 AM
rudedogii
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This sounds like a good one!
I would think the best thing to do would be to replace the whole gage cluster.
Been there and done that? Replaced the sending units? OK!
Now then it sounds like you have a bad electrical connection.
Check the wiring harness, wires and plugs. (connectors)
Some of these connectors may have corosion on the pins or may have broken pins or wires.
A electrical short can be very hard and time consuming to find.