Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V10 Shoot out plug

Old 07-02-2007, 09:54 AM
WorldCommander
Senior User
WorldCommander is starting off with a positive reputation.
Blown out plug repair

I discussed timesert vs blownoutplug repair with the Ric (blownoutplug.com guy). There is a difference. Do you research on both. I had the blownout plug guy change my plugs yesterday. For what he charges and his experience, tools, etc., it isn't worth your time IMHO to screw around doing it yourself if your time is worth anything to you. He charged less then the dealership. One plug was loose but hadn't blown-yet. Whew!

Old 07-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Monsta
Post Fiend
Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.Monsta has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by captchas
hair ? wait till you hit 60 like me! you loose more then the hair. and it just might be something very important that stops working ,
You don't mean the right thumb, do you!? How in the world will I ever change channels in the TV!?! Oh wait...I've got a wife to do that. Charlie, I thought you said it was something important.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:59 PM
scm281
New User
scm281 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, I went ahead and used Ric http://www.blownoutsparkplug.com/, Yesterday also, So I guess you are the guy that he went to next. Ric did a great job. Nice guy and he knows allot. I just didn't have the time to try it myself and didn't want to take the chance of messing it up. I need that truck for work. Thanks to all for the info that everyone gave. After watching him do his thing and checking everything else, I felt it was very worth it. It would have taken me all day and just a few hours with him instead. Back to work the same day. Thanks again for all the replies.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:22 AM
WorldCommander
Senior User
Originally Posted by scm281
Well, I went ahead and used Ric http://www.blownoutsparkplug.com/, Yesterday also, So I guess you are the guy that he went to next. Ric did a great job. Nice guy and he knows allot. I just didn't have the time to try it myself and didn't want to take the chance of messing it up. I need that truck for work. Thanks to all for the info that everyone gave. After watching him do his thing and checking everything else, I felt it was very worth it. It would have taken me all day and just a few hours with him instead. Back to work the same day. Thanks again for all the replies.
Yep, nice meeting you. $600-$800 vs $5,000 for new head-kind of a "no brainer" wasn't it? Watching him work and hearing that torque wrench click on each and every plug gives one the satisfaction of knowing it's done right. Can't do that at the dealership.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:02 PM
captchas
captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.
Unhappy i did !

Originally Posted by Monsta
You don't mean the right thumb, do you!? How in the world will I ever change channels in the TV!?! Oh wait...I've got a wife to do that. Charlie, I thought you said it was something important.
hay ken ! i did say important, the most important.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:27 PM
douglee25
Junior User
douglee25 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had also spoken with Ric just to pick his brain before I purchased a V10 SD. When I called and asked, he recommended 28 - 32 ft. lbs when torquing the plugs. I also found the same info on his site. Does that seem excessive? On this site, most suggest 14 ft. lbs or so.

Thoughts?

Doug

Old 07-13-2007, 05:38 PM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Wow, that sounds VERY high.

It's no where near where Ford says, and I can't imagine torquing a plug that far into aluminum...

Of course, it's also the ultimate test - if it stands 30 ft/lbs, the threads MUST be good, eh?

Seriously, sounds WAY high...

Old 07-13-2007, 05:51 PM
douglee25
Junior User
douglee25 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by krewat
Wow, that sounds VERY high.

It's no where near where Ford says, and I can't imagine torquing a plug that far into aluminum...

Of course, it's also the ultimate test - if it stands 30 ft/lbs, the threads MUST be good, eh?

Seriously, sounds WAY high...
I agree with you. Not trying to discount his method, just think that's a little excessive. I do a lot of two stroke performance engine work on Jetskis, and I recall girdled head bolt torque is 24 ft. lbs. These bolts thread into the aluminum cylinder. They seem to hold fine. The acorn nuts on the perimeter of the head get torqued to 30 ft. lbs. These acorn nuts thread onto steel studs, and I still cringe everytime I start torquing them down, just waiting to hear the damn click.

Doug

Old 07-13-2007, 05:55 PM
jspringator
Senior User
jspringator is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Look at his site. That is what he recommends. 28-32. He says most failures are caused by LOOSE plugs. The conventional wisdom here is that the plugs corrode into the head, and head material is removed with the plug, or they are torqued too tight and the threads strip. I don't know who's right, but the mindset is totally different. This guy just got a link on RV.net a couple of days ago

Old 07-14-2007, 03:52 AM
OzarkMan
New User
OzarkMan is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 2000 V10 with 85,000 on it - I need to change plugs.

What does a Ford garage charge to put in new plugs?

Will they do it right?

I work overseas right now so I will need to have it done when I get home.

Thanks...

Old 07-14-2007, 04:17 AM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Big $'s to change the plugs - it's all labor.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:12 PM
WorldCommander
Senior User
Originally Posted by OzarkMan
I have a 2000 V10 with 85,000 on it - I need to change plugs.

What does a Ford garage charge to put in new plugs?

Will they do it right?

I work overseas right now so I will need to have it done when I get home.

Thanks...
Local Ford dealer: $490

Do it right?: They will follow there specs only. Does the dealer always "do it right"? Crap shoot in my opinion. Regarding Ric's torque values: according to him, he has tested and observed results of various torque parameters on actual heads to arrive at his recommended values. That's all I know. So far, my V10 runs better now and is holding up ok.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Krewat
Super Moderator
I'd like to see Fred's take on 32ft/lbs on aluminum heads ...

Of course, it WILL show you which threads are shot - the hard way.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:45 AM
andrewzx92000
Senior User
andrewzx92000 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I just checked my plugs and one of them was loose #4 passenger side on the v10. Typical. I had torqued them to Ford specs when installed and 50,000 miles later the others were tight but that one was loose. Torqued it to 30lbs and it held and I believe what Ric says. You don't have enough material for it to hold at 14 lbs, the expansion and contraction of the head and the plug make it work loose. At 30lbs the threads are working but they won't wobble around and blow out and if that stops them working loose then that is a fix.
I am going to check the torque on my plugs every year from now on, no chances. I torqued the rest of them too to 30lbs and they felt good with no softness like they were stripping.
I took my 5.4 to the dealer for a leaky head gasket and he changed the plugs. When I couldn't get them out later he told me that he put them in with an air wrench, I would change them yourself. I won't take mine to a dealer again. They are on a clock. I own a van and there is almost no room without a lot of time and creativity to torque those plugs, and its no skin off their nose if they are so so in the torque department. I am the one who will pay, not them for sure. Most of the plug blows I have heard of have been folks who changed their plugs and 30,000 miles later it blows one, they had their plugs changed at the dealer. But even then I changed mine myself and still had one come loose.
I believe the 30lb theory, and I believe in checking them often.
Just my two cents.
Andrew.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:08 AM
jspringator
Senior User
jspringator is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
After my last dealer experience, they won't be doing my plugs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V10 Shoot out plug

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.