how much paint for motorcycle???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Jackpiner
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use 1 Quart of Paint for a Harley Davidson RoadKing!

Try a search for motorcycle paint, you will find: Motorcycle Paint Supply - They have OEM formulas for just about any age motorcycle. They have 2 ounce touch up bottles with a brush in the cap. Also, they can supply pints, quarts, and complete repair and refinishing kits.
They also tell how much you need for each project, with a lot of technical information. Brand new Motorcycles, to Vintage.

Same with new or vintage Ford Truck colors! see www CycleColor com

* 1 Quart of Base-coat and 1 Quart of Clear-coat with a Pint of activator for the clear should do the job. If it is a
Tri-coat color you could use up to a quart each, depending on the transparency of the mid-coat color.

Jackpiner

Old 05-19-2009, 09:30 AM
385seriesHemi
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finished!Results were fine....not great but I'm satisfied. Small run in the clear coat but could wet sand that out if I wanted.Oh yea, 16 oz's of paint at each stage is too much paint. Could how gotten by with maybe 8 oz's, which becomes more since I had to add the activator and the reducer.Anyway, the pearl sprayed on good. I could use some pratice though. Saved money doing it myself and was able to buy a new gun.FX-100, by sharpe.Again, the paint I used was "AU" 'base coat (white)'pearl coat (whiteish, blueish, greenish) Hence "pearl"'clear coat
I know its been awhile since this thread, your thread, has been started. I forgot how loaded this thread is with painting tips and routines and information too! lol. Funny thing is, I just picked up a motorcycle fender from a buddy of mine that has to be from the 1970s. I plan on painting it up nice to give me something to do.Do you have any pictures of your job you could post z 97ford1 ??

Old 05-19-2009, 10:09 AM
385seriesHemi
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...*Small run*...... in the clear coat but could wet sand that out if I wanted.
....One thing since you (Z 97ford1) mention this, that was not brought up is using a razor-blade to bring down runs in the clear (I just sand the color coats flat and spray another layer of color over that area if there is a run in the color). Now all you have to do is take a razor, dull the cutting edge a little on glass, a car window is just fine. Put a bow in the razor that is only moderate or slight. The middle of this bow in the razor-blade is the part you will be using. Drag (dont push or you will just create more work and frustration) the razor-blade with some pressure down the length of the "run" in the paint until the area of the run is level (or close to) with the rest of the clearcoat. You will notice this is "shaving" the high spot down. After that wet sand flat some more and carry on to your next step. Like F250XL said here
...It really comes down to technique and time I suppose?
Can't develop a TECHNIQUE without spending TIME practicing.