Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Poor mileage, real answers please....

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 01:17 PM
nightskyisme
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor mileage, real answers please....

I just read a thread where a guy was complaining about getting "only" 385 miles per tank of fuel. How about 220 per tank like me? (about 10.5 mpg)
What gives here? I have done and/or checked the following:
New fuel filter, new air filter (stock), ran several tanks of diesel-kleen, lock out hubs are NOT engaged, Little A/C use, RPMs UNDER 2000, 90% highway driving (I live just off the highway), stock tires, dissconnected EGBV tube from manifold (clogged badly), unplugged EGBV sensor from base of turbo, don't tow, no heavy loads, tried several brands of diesel, no codes and only "street" SCT chip programmed (mileage actually improved slightly after this flash). Also, but not related directly, I have flushed and changed tranny fluid, filter, coolant, oil and filter, rear and front diffs. Trying to be a "responsible owner". Highest mileage I have gotten is 15.
SOOOOO Boys and Girls, lets hear some good things I need to check, since my buddy gets better mileage with his V-10 flatbed towtruck.
I bought a diesel for the improved mileage, it's not happening and it's getting old.

*As a note, I have only had the truck for 3 months.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My first concern would be regarding what you did with the EBPS tube. Did you remove it or clean it and replace the sensor? I hear those can hit your mileage pretty badly.

Joe

Old 06-11-2007, 01:28 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 108 Posts
Leaking boots?

Low tire pressure?

Tried to go with 5w40 synthetic yet?

How are you calculating your mileage? Filling up to the neck, or just to when the pump clicks off? There is typically 4-6 gallons of room between the pump click and a truly full tank?

Tailgate up or down? "Up" increases mileage, contrary to you would want to think.

Have you dropped the tank to inspect the float and sending unit (can be done at the same time when doing the hutch and harpoon mods)?

Old 06-11-2007, 01:30 PM
kawika
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What gear ratio do you have on your axles??

Old 06-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
...also up-pipe leaks. There was a lengthy thread started by Kwik about a week ago about that...

Old 06-11-2007, 01:48 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Like said above, check all intercooler tubing boots, see how badly your up pipes are leaking, and put a new ebps tube, and sensor in there, its part of the fuel mapping process. Do you have any gauges? That could help determine whats going on with your truck. However, my up pipes are leaking pretty good and i average 15 with 285 tires, and 8500# everyday weight, 80 hp tune........ How does the truck idle? Does it perform well? Stumble at all? More details on the motors performance etc would be good

Old 06-11-2007, 01:52 PM
miker67
Elder User
Originally Posted by kawika
What gear ratio do you have on your axles??
I second this question. What is your gear ratio? After that, I would say to inspect the up-pipes

Old 06-11-2007, 02:07 PM
nightskyisme
Mountain Pass
Thanks guys, I have pressurized all IC boots and no leaks, tires are always up to spec, fill tank to the neck always, EGBV tube is clogged solid and was just unscrewed from the sensor and the sensor in a zip-lock bag near the HPOP unit. Not sure about float status in tank, but that would be irrelevent since I fill to neck each time, then calculate mileage. (fuel to fill)
Gear ratio is 3:73 (or whatever is below 4:10)
I have no issue re-piping the EGBV tube and plugging in the turbo0base sensor, but I have been told and read many trheads that say dissconnect and leave it.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
I think you're referring to the Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor & Tube with the "EGBV". That tube & sensor are pretty important, so get those cleaned/replaced first and let us know how it improves (it SHOULD!).

Joe

Old 06-11-2007, 02:43 PM
7.3L DID TD
Elder User
I think your confusing the EBPV with the EBP Tube and Sensor. Unlike the EBPV the EBP Sensor and the tube you cleaned out should be inplace and operating correctly or the PCM goes into limp mode ergo crappy fuel economy. The Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor is at the top of the tube you removed.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:07 PM
mybigredford
Elder User
where is the EBP tube and sensor?

Old 06-11-2007, 03:16 PM
tamte65
Senior User
Originally Posted by nightskyisme
I just read a thread where a guy was complaining about getting "only" 385 miles per tank of fuel. How about 220 per tank like me? (about 10.5 mpg)
What gives here? I have done and/or checked the following:
New fuel filter, new air filter (stock), ran several tanks of diesel-kleen, lock out hubs are NOT engaged, Little A/C use, RPMs UNDER 2000, 90% highway driving (I live just off the highway), stock tires, dissconnected EGBV tube from manifold (clogged badly), unplugged EGBV sensor from base of turbo, don't tow, no heavy loads, tried several brands of diesel, no codes and only "street" SCT chip programmed (mileage actually improved slightly after this flash). Also, but not related directly, I have flushed and changed tranny fluid, filter, coolant, oil and filter, rear and front diffs. Trying to be a "responsible owner". Highest mileage I have gotten is 15.
SOOOOO Boys and Girls, lets hear some good things I need to check, since my buddy gets better mileage with his V-10 flatbed towtruck.
I bought a diesel for the improved mileage, it's not happening and it's getting old.

*As a note, I have only had the truck for 3 months.
Well, I get 13.5 - 14mpg with the heavy foot city stop-n-go driving with the TowPerf (+90hp) setting.
I can reach 300miles/tank. But I'm not happy with it, I would like to see these 17 whatsoever mpg's, some others are saying to get in the city.
So I'm happy to see that there's somebody else with worse mileages
You saved my day
It has been the same all the time (13.5 - 14.0) since I got this truck. With or without chip. Heavy or light gas foot. Donno what's the problem. My wife was driving it like 3 days in a row, then it got this 14mpg for that tank!! So this has something to do with, who is driving
I have done the Cold Air, CCK, Chip, all the filters new etc. No changes, all the money wasted

Old 06-11-2007, 03:16 PM
nightskyisme
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by 7.3L DID TD
I think your confusing the EBPV with the EBP Tube and Sensor. Unlike the EBPV the EBP Sensor and the tube you cleaned out should be inplace and operating correctly or the PCM goes into limp mode ergo crappy fuel economy. The Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor is at the top of the tube you removed.
Wow, you just confused me. Ok, the small tubing from the passenger exhaust manifold with the sensor screwed to the top is the one that's clogged up completely. I just unscrewed (after unscrewing and seeing it was coked up clogged) the sensor and left it attached to the connector.
I then unplugged the connector on the base of the turbo below the heated unit.
By the way, the truck runs great, just crappy mileage.
Ok, so what do I connect or dissconnect? I am comfused because there were several threads saying to just bypass that clogged manifold tube for BETTER mileage.
No codes, no check engine lights, everything else is ok?

Last edited by nightskyisme; 06-11-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:27 PM
fbilly420
Senior User
the tube from the passenger side manifold with sensor right in front of engine is the one you need working you can clean the tube and i would just replace the sensor check on ebay they usually go for pretty cheap.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:33 PM
7.3L DID TD
Elder User
Check this thread maybe it's makes more sense to you than I do.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...light=ebp+tube

Quick Reply: Poor mileage, real answers please....