Computer Chips & Tuners  

chips,lowering 2K V10 hp

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-1999, 05:52 PM
S. Hodson
chips,lowering 2K V10 hp

Just came back from the local Ford store from having my cruise control cable recall installed. While there I confirmed that Ford will do a free 2 or 4 inch lowering on my 99F350cc. It involves shocks, some brake lines and shorter or no spacers. Ford will not let me keep the old parts so I'm not going to have it lowered until I'm sure I can fit 295-75's under the front. If so I'll lower the back end to level up the height. The shop guys told me that the Y2K V10 picks up the extra hp through changes in valve diameter and grind angle& chip program changes. They weren't sure about cam changes. Has anyone heard of Power Force of Pendleton Oregon? They showed me what they said was a "Ford Approved" chip for the V10 ($585) from Power Force ( 40hp 70ft.pd) The advertisement had a Ford like logo but no offical statement from Ford. The shop guys said it also re-programmed the transmission to free wheel on down hills (negative load). Sounds like an old Saab I drove once!

Old 09-23-1999, 06:20 PM
Pastmaster
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chips,lowering 2K V10 hp

You must have one dedicated Dealer, if he'll do your work without even a labor charge.

Evan A.K.A. PastMaster
1993 F-150 302/E40d XLT
1989 F-150 302/Aod 4x4 XLT Lariat

Old 09-24-1999, 03:36 AM
S.Hodson
chips,lowering 2K V10 hp

They told me that Ford reimburses them for this change. The shop foreman said he was surprised that Ford had agreed to do this but he had already done a few and Ford pays the dealership all costs once they send in the used parts. If I could just get them to give new one's I'd keep them in the garage "just in case". I don't really know if the front needs to go up an inch or the rear needs to go down 2 yet.

Old 09-27-1999, 03:31 PM
S. Hodson
chips,lowering 2K V10 hp

I think I'm going to wait until install a Banks exhaust system first. I have their Trans Command unit and really like what it did for my transmission. One of their sales reps says they have discussed a chip later to work in conjunction with the trans command and exhaust system. If I remember correctly you have a Borla cat-back system and were looking into the Banks headers from DIS. Is this right and did you install headers yet? I've got to wait a while, hard to justify what really amounts to ~$1475 worth of stainless steel toy!

Old 09-28-1999, 12:59 AM
V10 MAN
Junior User
chips,lowering 2K V10 hp

Yep, got a Borla. I haven't ordered the headers yet. You're right about the costs....A lot of money for the kit without a huge power gain. The most expensive upgrade out there. I only had 1000 miles on the truck when I added the K&N and Borla. I didn't notice any gain in power or mileage then. 23000 miles later it still runs good and I get 12mpg city. A Banks spokeman told me that cat-backs on these trucks don't add a whole lot of power. Somewhere around 7-15 hp. You're not going to feel that. He also said there would be no mpg increase with the Banks. Ford has this engine running at it's best.

Old 10-04-1999, 02:21 PM
cowboy
Freshman User
chips,lowering 2K V10 hp

Does anybody have any information reguarding the lowering on the 2000 SD 350s 2Wheel& 4Wheel are they still offering free bees

Old 10-05-1999, 12:12 AM
SuperPleased
Junior User
chips,lowering 2K V10 hp

>I think I'm going to wait until
>install a Banks exhaust system first.
> I have their Trans Command
>unit and really like what it
>did for my transmission. One
>of their sales reps says they
>have discussed a chip later to
>work in conjunction with the trans
>command and exhaust system.

Lots of luck to them (Banks), but .......... It'd be much like hiring your plumber to rewire your house. I have the Banks Powerpack on my '99 SD SC V10 Lariat, and I'm very satisfied with it (other than making it sound like a big six-cylinder from inside the cab). I also have the Superchips chip, and I'm likewise satisfied with that product. It reprogrammed the transmission as well as providing fairly impressive horsepower and torque gains.

>If I remember correctly you have a
>Borla cat-back system and were looking
>into the Banks headers from DIS.

That sounds like a good move (getting the headers, that is).

> Is this right and did
>you install headers yet? I've
>got to wait a while, hard
>to justify what really amounts to
>~$1475 worth of stainless steel toy!

My Banks Powerpack cost me a total of $2345 (installed) here in Alaska. That's a ton of money, especially when one considers that I've traded a factory-installed stainless steel exhaust for an aftermarket SS system which uses the factory's cat converter! The headers probably make the deal worthwhile, relatively speaking.

Tom

Old 11-12-1999, 04:13 PM
shaun
New User
chips,lowering 2K V10 hp

For the kind of money you guys are talking about, most of you could have paid for most or all of a Paxton Supercharger.

Old 11-12-1999, 09:03 PM
SuperPleased
Junior User
chips,lowering 2K V10 hp

>For the kind of money you guys
>are talking about, most of you
>could have paid for most or
>all of a Paxton Supercharger.

Wrong, unfortunately! An installed Paxton Novi 2000 for the V-10 will set you back nearly $6,000. Of course, you can save up to $1,500. by installing it yourself, if you feel qualified.

I'm putting a Paxton into my '99 F-250LB SD SC Lariat V-10 in the Spring, providing Whipple doesn't come up with a better supercharger than Paxton offers.

Remember that all the extra air/fuel the engine ingests from the supercharger has to be able to exit, or else the increased backpressure will prevent much of a power gain. An improved exhaust system is a virtual necessity if you're going to supercharge, and the Banks Powerpack is a very good one (includes headers).

Check out "V10 Mods" in "[4]" on the bottom of the preceding page.

Tom

Old 11-22-1999, 03:38 PM
Chuck Morgan
chips,lowering 2K V10 hp

>>Hey Tom,
I was excited to read your e-mail. I am also here in Alaska. I am in the Air Force here at Elmendorf and have ordered the same exact truck that you have described. I have also been in contact with the folks at Banks. I don't know about you but I can't stand the skinny wheels they deliver those trucks with. So right off the bat I plan on replacing the wheels and tires. Then there are the other purformance issues that you also spoke of. I never dreamed it would be such a pain in the but to get the truck that I want here in Anchorage. I ordered my truck back on July 12th and just got the build date from the dealership last week of 29 Nov. The dealership told me to expect delivery in the second week of Jan 2000. I can't believe I have actually waited this long. The worst thing is I still don't know the price. They said now that I have a build date the factory will send an invoice then I will know the price. I ordered my truck trough Cal Worthingtons Fleet office at the 5th ave store. I'm not sure what to expect as far as the price, I'm hoping for between 28 and 29K. One thing that I don't like is the change to the back seat. I really like the way the 99 model seats fold down to make a stell shelf in the back. 2000 models have changed to work just like the others. The bottom bench just folds up and gets in the way. I wish I had found this sit a long time ago. Let me hear back. Later, Chuck

>>install a Banks exhaust system first.
>> I have their Trans Command
>>unit and really like what it
>>did for my transmission. One
>>of their sales reps says they
>>have discussed a chip later to
>>work in conjunction with the trans
>>command and exhaust system.

>Lots of luck to them (Banks), but
>.......... It'd be much like hiring
>your plumber to rewire your house.
>I have the Banks Powerpack on
>my '99 SD SC V10 Lariat,
>and I'm very satisfied with it
>(other than making it sound like
>a big six-cylinder from inside the
>cab). I also have the Superchips
>chip, and I'm likewise satisfied with
>that product. It reprogrammed the transmission
>as well as providing fairly impressive
>horsepower and torque gains.
>>If I remember correctly you have a
>>Borla cat-back system and were looking
>>into the Banks headers from DIS.

>That sounds like a good move (getting
>the headers, that is).
>> Is this right and did
>>you install headers yet? I've
>>got to wait a while, hard
>>to justify what really amounts to
>>~$1475 worth of stainless steel toy!
>My Banks Powerpack cost me a total
>of $2345 (installed) here in Alaska.
>That's a ton of money, especially
>when one considers that I've traded
>a factory-installed stainless steel exhaust for
>an aftermarket SS system which uses
>the factory's cat converter! The headers
>probably make the deal worthwhile, relatively
>speaking.
>Tom
>

Old 07-12-2002, 01:24 PM
bigredfromtexas
New User
Post chips,lowering 2K V10 hp

Just to let you all know my v10 threw a rod at only 21,400 miles you can see pics. at web site http://members.***.net/rsouder/ Ford says too bad.

Old 07-12-2002, 01:41 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
chips,lowering 2K V10 hp

>Has anyone heard of Power Force of Pendleton Oregon? They showed me
>what they said was a "Ford Approved" chip for the V10 ($585) from
>Power Force ( 40hp 70ft.pd) The advertisement had a Ford like
>logo but no offical statement from Ford. The shop guys said it
>also re-programmed the transmission to free wheel on down hills (negative load). Sounds like an old Saab I drove once!

The dealer is flat out lying. Run, don't walk from them. Its a parts scam. There is no such thing as a "Ford Approved" chip. and there isn't such a thing as 40HP for a V10 chip. The Powerforce logo is just the word "Powerforce" in a baby blue (not Ford blue) logo in an oval, certainly not a Ford logo.

Powerforce published 40 HP for their diesel chip, not their V10 chip. Diablo is pushing the limits of timing advance and they yield 30HP. Superchips gets about 25HP. They are pulling a major rip on you, most chips retail for FAR less than that and then sell for a lot less than retail. Give us a call, we can set you up, without lying, for less than half that amount.

Old 07-14-2002, 12:08 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
chips,lowering 2K V10 hp