Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Power Steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 11:39 AM
UT1Rusty
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering problem

Just put my 4.5 DR lift on last night along with 315 75 R16 tires (2003 F250). What my problem is when parked or driving after turning the wheel it jumps the other way. Like the steering wheel is pulling the other way off and on. I think I may have air in my power steering lines how do I blead the lines off to try and fix this problem?

Old 06-09-2007, 02:26 PM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if i'm not mistaken, these are self bleeding, and just need to be turned/cycled a few times. And make sure you're running ATF in there, not reg PS fluid

Old 06-09-2007, 02:29 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
They are self bleeding to a point.. see the following post for bleeding instructions..
But, if your steering was OK before the lift, i would guess it has something to do with the linkage now..
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...-promblem.html

Old 06-09-2007, 03:12 PM
miker67
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They are self bleeding, BUT, if there is air in the lines it can cause damage to the steering gear if it is turned under load. The appropriate way to bleed the system is to raise the front axle off the ground until the tires clear the ground, then turn the wheel lock to lock around 30 times or so until the the poping sensations stops. Lower the axle, test if it is good then great, if not, check for leaks then repeat.

That being said, I agree, it is probably a problem with the lift install. You may be haveing a bit of bump steer, you also may need to install a stronger stabilizer now.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:33 AM
UT1Rusty
Junior User
Well I went back over everything on the front end and it seems good. We lifted the front end and turnd the wheels and no jerking. The only thing we can think of now is that I need a Steering Stabilizer.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:08 PM
UT1Rusty
Junior User
I can not get this truck to stop jerking the wheel back. I only have a few more days before I have to drive to MD. I bled off the power steering I check the alignment, made sure nothing was binding. I even put the factory tires back on and it still did it. I will be picking up a steering stabilizer today but I really dont think that is the problem. I just dont know what to do Donahoe Racing has no clue either. The truck turns nice and smooth its just when you start to turn the other way it jumps or pulls back the other way.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:29 PM
kawika
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you put in a dropped pitman arm? Are there any clearance issues since it was lifted?

Old 06-12-2007, 12:48 PM
UT1Rusty
Junior User
Yep put in the new arm and everything clears fine. I called a shop out in TX and they said maybe its the pump. I have talked to a few other shops and they say the caster but mine is good.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:14 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
I have a P/C 6' lift on 35's and I've never sufferd these problems. I can't turn my wheel at complete stop, but this is normal for the POS systems on our trucks. It seems to me that you have'nt gotten all of the air out of the system. Try removing the filler cap after raising the wheels and diong the Lock to Lock method. You might spill alittle fluid when you do this so be carefull. But hopefully this will work.Country

Old 06-12-2007, 02:49 PM
miker67
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like bump steer. You say you dropped the pitman arm, is the trac bar dropped as well, it should be. What about the trac bar bushings are the sloppy? Is the trac bar torqued right? It should be pull till you are purple in the face tight.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:14 PM
UT1Rusty
Junior User
All bolts were set with a impact and all the front geometry is right. I am in the middle of installing a new pump after this is done I will jack up the front fill it and blead it and see what happens.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:29 PM
UT1Rusty
Junior User
well its not the pump. One thing I did notice is when the breaks are applyed I lose power steering and I see the hose going to the cooler jumps when the steering wheel does the pulsing thing, also when you pump the breaks the steering wheel will turn. Any one have a clue??

Old 06-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Did you lengthen the Track bar & the brake lines???

Old 06-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The brake pedal is attached to the Hydroboost that is connected to the PS pump

Heres the Hydroboost test.

Brake Booster

With the transmission in NEUTRAL and the engine stopped, apply the brakes several times to exhaust the vacuum in the vacuum boost system or the pressure in the Hydro-Boost system.
Hold the brake pedal in the applied position.
Start the engine.
If the power brake system is functioning properly, the brake pedal can be felt to move downward after the engine starts.
With a vacuum type power brake booster, if engine vacuum is available to the power brake booster and no power assist is felt, replace the power brake booster and retest the system.
If power steering pump pressure is available to the Hydro-Boost power brake booster and no power assist is felt, replace the Hydro-Boost power brake booster and retest the system.

If power steering pump pressure is not available at the Hydro-Boost power brake booster, check the power steering pump pressure and flow. Refer to Section 211-00 .

On a Hydro-Max booster system, if power is available at the electric pump and no power assist is felt, replace the Hydro-Max booster assembly and retest the system.

If power is not available at the electric pump, correct the electrical concern and retest the system.

Accumulator, Hydro-Boost Only

Start and run the engine.
Stop the engine.
Apply the brakes. The accumulator in the Hydro-Boost power brake booster should retain enough pressure for at least two power assisted brake operations. If no power assist is felt, replace the Hydro-Boost power brake booster and retest the system.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:24 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
Whew!! Alan, They don't have an emoticon that bows down here. They need to make one. Very nicely done my friend! OK I'm bowing down.HAH HAH Take Care, Country

Quick Reply: Power Steering problem