Is a slider 5th wheel needed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 08:45 PM
cfd312
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is a slider 5th wheel needed?

I have a 06 SD ext cab with short. The used 5th wheel camper (used) has an extension. The dealer recommends that a slider is not needed. He does not use on on his SD with a short box. So I ask the majority is it needed

Old 06-04-2007, 09:04 PM
twayneb
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't have one on mine, just be careful not to jack-knife. The trailer part of the hitch does extend past the edge of the trailer which helps.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:42 PM
hdway
Senior User
I tow a 81/2 x 34ft. 5th Cargo trailer that does not have a extended pin box like the RV have it has a vee nose that tapers back around 32". This has never given me a problem in turning my SB without a slider you just have to keep a eye open on the cab corner never felt the need to turn sharper than it allowed my hitch center is about 2" in front of the axle center this location s dictated by the underbox mount kit. If you think about it how do you jack knife a 8i/2 foot with a long box unless the hitch is not the 2-3" in front of the axle.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:59 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Normally with a extension pin box you don't need a slider. Just to make sure mark a spot 2" in front of the axle and with a plump bob back under the trailer first straight on and then at a sharp angle and see how much clearance you have. If you can't come almost to a jackknife it will be harder to back into tight spots. Also remember if you come out of a drive thats not flat the angle will change on a tight turn.

Denny

Old 06-05-2007, 03:14 PM
95van
Senior User
I haven't neede a slider with my extended pin box. I think a rocker is more useful if you don't really need the slider; it helps when park on terrain that can be different between the truck and trailer.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:03 PM
squaredancer
Senior User
I've got an extended pin box on my Crossroads(it was standard). I also have a Husky/Valley slider in my shortbed. The slider comes in real handy when I park my rig on one side of my driveway. There was that one time while turning around that I should have used the slider but didn't. Cost me $350.00 for a new back window. Your call !

Old 06-05-2007, 10:11 PM
albran
Senior User
Originally Posted by squaredancer
I've got an extended pin box on my Crossroads(it was standard). I also have a Husky/Valley slider in my shortbed. The slider comes in real handy when I park my rig on one side of my driveway. There was that one time while turning around that I should have used the slider but didn't. Cost me $350.00 for a new back window. Your call !
I must have got a better deal... only cost me $333.00.
Oh and that 5th wheel only has to touch the window!!

That $333. still stings a little BUT EVERY TIME I hit a bump little pieces of glass start bouncing around!!!!!

A couple more windows and I'll have spent the difference between the manual and auto slider.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:14 PM
fasthauler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Some day you are going to forget and wham. You may be lucky and only get away with a broken window. But if you get the cab make sure you have a low deductible. I have a friend in Whitefish that took out the corner of his cab. He could have paid for a slider for what that mistake cost him. And the worst part was he ended up buying a slider anyway.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:46 AM
Gunner15a
Elder User
Originally Posted by cfd312
I have a 06 SD ext cab with short. The used 5th wheel camper (used) has an extension. The dealer recommends that a slider is not needed. He does not use on on his SD with a short box. So I ask the majority is it needed
I've got basicly the same truck you have. The slider hitch has saved my bacon (and rear window) on more occasions than I care to remember. Necessary? Not to PULL your trailer, no.........But it's DAMN handy when you're trying to get in and out of a tight spot........

Just my .02

Gunner15a

Old 06-13-2007, 10:59 PM
Edkajo
Posting Guru
I'd go with a slider in a shortbed anyway, They come in handy and at least you'll have the option if you need it. You'll also have one less problem if you decide this trailer doesn't pan out in a year or two or if you need to tow one without the extension.