1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat removal and airbag sensors

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 10:35 PM
dogdude2003
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat removal and airbag sensors

I was told that I have to disconnect both batteries if I want to remove my seats by a car-stereo place. Is this true? They said it was because of the air bag sensors.

Gotta remove the center seat to get an amp out from under there and to do that, you have to remove or at least loosen both front seats.

Is there a way to do this without disconnecting both batteries?

Thanks

Old 06-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as I know Ford has never put any airbag sensors in the seats of the 99-07 Super Duty. I am not sure about the 08s though.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:17 AM
dlpinkc
Senior User
Originally Posted by Beerstalker
As far as I know Ford has never put any airbag sensors in the seats of the 99-07 Super Duty. I am not sure about the 08s though.
When I bought my 05 CC I asked about the passenger side airbag disable switch (it doesn't have one). Salesman told me that the airbag wouldn't deploy with less than 80lbs in the seat. I assumed that meant that there was some sort of sensor.

Then again, maybe he just made it up....

dp

Old 06-03-2007, 11:01 AM
dogdude2003
Senior User
So nobody knows.

How do you disconnect and reconnect both batteries without frying the computer? They are connected as a single 12v unit - positive to positive, neg to neg...and disconnect them seperately?

Old 06-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dlpinkc
When I bought my 05 CC I asked about the passenger side airbag disable switch (it doesn't have one). Salesman told me that the airbag wouldn't deploy with less than 80lbs in the seat. I assumed that meant that there was some sort of sensor.

Then again, maybe he just made it up....

dp
dlpinkc, I'm guessing he just didn't know what he was talking about. What he said is true for most cars now days, but as far as I know it is not true in the Super Duty. As for why your truck didn't have the airbag shut-off, it's because it is a crew cab. Ford only puts the shut off in the regular and super cab trucks from the factory. They expect you to put your kids in the back seat in the crew cab. However, all the wiring is in place, so if you need to add the switch it is fairly easy. I think someone mentioned that the dealer has to reprogram the PCM for the switch to be enabled but I am not sure about that.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:25 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dogdude2003
So nobody knows.

How do you disconnect and reconnect both batteries without frying the computer? They are connected as a single 12v unit - positive to positive, neg to neg...and disconnect them seperately?
From the Tech folder at the top of this forum
http://home.austin.rr.com/sbv1/Proce...Disconnect.htm

Old 06-03-2007, 06:36 PM
dogdude2003
Senior User
Ok..I got it. Disconnected neg leads, pulled amps and stereo...all went well. Thanks for the replies.

Finally got this truck out of my life.

3 months ago the engine was pulled, headgaskets, bedpan gasket, EGR, and way more...etc etc etc....all repaired...All new parts...and then Ford Engineers tested the truck for a week before giving it back...all stipulated in front of a Judge.

Then FMC wrote me a very large check.

Thought I'd keep the truck...was running good...until...
CEL light back on while towing my toy hauler on Thursday. I'm DONE.

Wow...what a relief it's finally gone. 3 years of hell....finally over.

New truck in the driveway today. I think I'll celebrate.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:44 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sorry to hear abought the duracrap you will sure miss the psd when you try to pullto Glamis with that toy truck let us know how long it takes you to get that sinking feeling that you just bought a cavalier with a bed on it lol!

Old 06-03-2007, 08:32 PM
dogdude2003
Senior User
Originally Posted by hotroddsl
sorry to hear abought the duracrap you will sure miss the psd when you try to pullto Glamis with that toy truck let us know how long it takes you to get that sinking feeling that you just bought a cavalier with a bed on it lol!
LOL Now THAT'S funny.

Actually...my new truck is built really nice. New body design...box frame,4x4, quiet as can be...all the features, leather, Allison Tranny with auto or manual shift, Bose stereo system, Remote start, 17" wheels with nice offroad E load tires, tire pressure digital indicator, auto air, seat heaters, seat memory settings, 15,500lbs + towing with intergrated trailer brake in the dash and digital readout, and on and on. And the Duramax is a better motor than the Navistar by far.

My F-350 was a piece of junk.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:39 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
like I said enjoy the new Cavalier as Chevy doesent make TRUCKS! but Im sure all those toy trinkets will help soothe your misery.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:49 PM
BigGreen'77
Senior User
A little late, but you do not have to disconnect your battery, cable, or cables to remove seats from a Ford truck.

Do not turn the key on, or you'll trip the airbag light.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:30 AM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
IMO he doesn't deserve a whole lot of bashing for buying that Chevy.

1.) The consumer truck market has become a lot less "truck" aware and those "trinkets" like heated seats make a difference to a large portion of buyers. Especially when your Service engine light isn't on, or your tailpipe isn't also a flamethrower.

2.) Ford does not have a good rep with it's last two diesel motors: 6.0 and 6.4. It's not getting any better with the issues the 6.4 has, and the publicly bad blood between them and International.

3.) Allison, despite known issues with hot trucks, has a good reputation. At least better than the E40d/4r100. Most of the guys who bought trucks from me wanted to get away from that trans.

I could go on, but I'm just so sick and tired of hearing this 10 year old Playground type "cavalier with a bed on it" crap. Grow up. I wouldn't buy a new Ford Truck right now either. In fact, I didn't. I purposely bought a 2002 7.3L F250.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:12 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
well the title is Ford Truck Enthusiast not toy truck garage if your tired of hearing the truth then leave, or cant you get your toy truck started (rotflmao). I am just as sick of you guys poppin and blasting my 6.0 wich has never had 1 problem my duracrap hardly ever ran & the allison while it had a good reputation dissapointed me as well sorry if you sell those toys and cant sleep at night knowing you pawned off an Isuzu on a poor un sus pecting fool but I know better as I have made a carreer out of GM's failures as my location may tell you where I worked for the last 14 years, I wont push their crap off on the Taliban as Gaz makes a significantly more durable product than Chevy's toy trucks & deep in your heart you know its true. come back from the dark side before its too late for you........c....o....m....e....t.....o....t......h ....e....l....i.....g.....h....t.........!!!!

Old 06-04-2007, 10:09 AM
dogdude2003
Senior User
Originally Posted by hotroddsl
well the title is Ford Truck Enthusiast not toy truck garage if your tired of hearing the truth then leave, or cant you get your toy truck started (rotflmao). I am just as sick of you guys poppin and blasting my 6.0 wich has never had 1 problem my duracrap hardly ever ran & the allison while it had a good reputation dissapointed me as well sorry if you sell those toys and cant sleep at night knowing you pawned off an Isuzu on a poor un sus pecting fool but I know better as I have made a carreer out of GM's failures as my location may tell you where I worked for the last 14 years, I wont push their crap off on the Taliban as Gaz makes a significantly more durable product than Chevy's toy trucks & deep in your heart you know its true. come back from the dark side before its too late for you........c....o....m....e....t.....o....t......h ....e....l....i.....g.....h....t.........!!!!
Whatever.

uhmmmm-kay.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:18 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
dogdude2003 I am glad you have a sense of humor & I really am sorry you had so many problems with your Ford, like I had with my Chevy they bought it back too & I even worked for them & it still took 2 years I am sure you will enjoy it as the new ones look really good enjoy it in good health.

Quick Reply: Seat removal and airbag sensors