1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Question about Tailgate End Caps

Old 05-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Sampson_98001
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Tailgate End Caps

I have a 2003 Ranger. I had the bed and tailgate sprayed with Rhino-lining. The rhino-lining does go over the rails and end-cap. Here's my question. I want to buy one of those polished aluminum tail gate end caps. Will the end cap fit even though I have the sprayon bedliner? It would seem to me the inside dimension of the end-cap would now be too narrow now that I have the spray-on bedliner has been applied.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Bruce

Old 05-31-2007, 06:32 PM
fflintstone
Elder User
Bad news Sampson. The end cap manufacturers stamp the end caps assuming you have no Rhino over the tail gate. The Rhino applicator guy could have mounted/bedded the tail gate cap while the material was still gooey, but now I fear you've got some scraping to do to get that end cap to fit.

Fred

Old 06-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Sampson_98001
New User
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm thinking my other option could be to see if one of those plastic type end caps may work since it would be a little flexible campared to a metal one.
Every time I put my small boat in the back of the truck, it chews up the rhino-lining right where an end-cap would be. That's why I was asking.

Thanks again,

Bruce

Old 06-01-2007, 01:56 PM
CMOS
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sampson,

I have the plastic Bushwacker bed & tailgate caps. They're great, but I feel that even these would not fit over the Rhino spary. They are very well fitted to the body, so I'll bet this won't work in your case.

CMOS

Old 06-01-2007, 03:40 PM
ranger1999 Bob
Posting Guru
I had a plastic bed liner put in my truck by the dealer and they installed it. It had a kind of black plastic end cap on it. In my travels i got a diamond plate end cap which i think looks sharper on the truck. I had visions of trimming my plastic brdliner tailgate piece to allow the diamond plate to fit but it fits over it with no problem. its a Dee Zee piece . You will prolly have no problem fitting the thing over the regular spray in liners if anything you may have too big a space
my only mod was to get longer self tapping screws so that it would fit on there good

Old 06-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Sampson_98001
New User
UPDATE - On my tail gate end cap question.

Here's an update for all those that replied to my question. First, let me say "thanks" for the replies.

I took my truck to the Rhino-lining place I originally had it done. I had a big gouge in the lining on the top of my tailgate from loading my boat. (I would like to mention where this business is, but I'm not sure if I'll get in trouble posting it here on this website.....Please let me know!!!) Anyway...I stopped by this place on Friday and the guy was pretty busy. He said he could do it on Saturday. I told him what I would really like to do is have the small repair done, then install a tail gate end cap but that I wasn't sure if I could do this due to the thickness added from the Rhino-lining. He thought for moment and said "Hold on, I might have something that would fit". He came back with a "DeeZee" end cap (diamond plate type) and put it over the lining.....PERFECT FIT . He then said "This thing has been sitting in my office for a couple years, I'll give it to ya for $10.00". I said "SWEET".....I'll take it . I went back on Saturday and had the repair done, let it dry (24 hours), then installed the end cap. Looks great too!!!!

Again, please let me know if it's ok to mention where this Rhino-Lining business is. He treated me real good and I would like to pay him back in some small way.

Thanks,

Bruce

Old 06-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Victory
Freshman User
Glad it worked out for you.

I had the Linex liner done to my truck. I did not want it over the edges cause I wasn't after that look. I have black bedrails on her. My bodyshop buddy told me to put Stoneguard on the tailgate. Yeah, it was costly but did just what I wanted and looks great.
Not stealing your thread just giving others an option.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:24 PM
fflintstone
Elder User
Originally Posted by Sampson_98001
Here's an update for all those that replied to my question. First, let me say "thanks" for the replies.

I took my truck to the Rhino-lining place I originally had it done. I had a big gouge in the lining on the top of my tailgate from loading my boat. (I would like to mention where this business is, but I'm not sure if I'll get in trouble posting it here on this website.....Please let me know!!!) Anyway...I stopped by this place on Friday and the guy was pretty busy. He said he could do it on Saturday. I told him what I would really like to do is have the small repair done, then install a tail gate end cap but that I wasn't sure if I could do this due to the thickness added from the Rhino-lining. He thought for moment and said "Hold on, I might have something that would fit". He came back with a "DeeZee" end cap (diamond plate type) and put it over the lining.....PERFECT FIT . He then said "This thing has been sitting in my office for a couple years, I'll give it to ya for $10.00". I said "SWEET".....I'll take it . I went back on Saturday and had the repair done, let it dry (24 hours), then installed the end cap. Looks great too!!!!

Again, please let me know if it's ok to mention where this Rhino-Lining business is. He treated me real good and I would like to pay him back in some small way.

Thanks,

Bruce
Bruce, It's good of you to want give the guy a plug for good service. Sounds like he deserves it. I can't speak for the moderators, but if you would pm either Monsterbaby or Fordboy, they'll tell you if officially its ok. When I first started reading your post, I thought for a second there that you had a bad experience and you wanted to demonize his business which I do know is frowned upon very much.

Glad to hear it worked out and I completely forgot that someone made a cap to work with the bedliners which everyone has.

Fred

Old 06-04-2007, 10:03 PM
ranger1999 Bob
Posting Guru
sounds like what happened to me i had the exact same thing and paid the same for it lol