6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

EMERGENCY HELP! Please read..

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 11:09 PM
Storm
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EMERGENCY HELP! Please read..

Hey Gang,

I have problems.. We installed the coolant filter system today and it went smooth.. Lost bout gallon of cutting on the high side hose when we cut it.. While we did the install we went ahead and removed the passenger side IC tube.. I put it all back together and tightened it down.. I filled the coolant back up to the min mark that they placed on the bottle from the TSB.. Drove home from TNT's house.. This evening I went out to go get fuel and I checked the Degas level.. It was way low.. So I added more fluid to bring it up.. Figure the system pulled it into the cooling channels.. On my 15 mile trip to the diesel station I monitored the cooling temp, never exceeding 192F.. I also put my Hot Tune back in that max boosts at 28lbs.. I drove normal because I was WAY empty on fuel..

So on my way back after filling up I decided to roll the throttle for a bit and clean her out because I have been driving slow the last week.. When I rolled the throttle the boost instantly hit 35lbs.. I backed off wondering why, this tune never hits 28lbs.. So I rolled it again, instantly hit 35lbs and then..

BOOM! The boot on the passenger side IC lower part blew off.. Clamp is gone.. Couldn't find it.. I checked the road for half a mile, no luck.. But I have a clamp I'm getting tomorrow.. Here's my huge worry.. I think I located the central point to the degas bottle.. I have coolant EVERYWHERE! My degas bottle was empty.. I had 1/2 gallon of Motorcraft Gold Coolant and I put it in.. There wasn't enough to limp her home.. My driver side tire, shock, airbox, evertying is just covered in fluid.. I looked all over and I can't find a single hose blown out for the radiator.. My coolant filter system isn't leaking.. Is it possible that because it spiked 35lbs and then blew the boot off that it put enough pressure in the enginebay that when the coolant blew out it just shot it everywhere?!

I don't know where else to look.. I had to call a wrecker to bring her home until I could figure it out.. Any help would be GREAT! and if anyone in Austin has Motorcraft Gold Coolant, please let me know.. No dealers are open and I need some..

Old 05-27-2007, 12:06 AM
captaincook
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem bud. Although everything you said was basically in Japanese to me, since I a newbie diesel owner I dont have a clue what your talking about. Once again, sorry to hear about you troubles.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:09 AM
duffman77
Elder User
Just run water now and add pure coolant later. Its summer, you dont need antifreeze!

Old 05-27-2007, 12:16 AM
Storm
Postmaster
I'm too tired to figure it out now.. and pissed.. I'll break something..

Tomorrow im pulling all the IC tubes and boots.. Cleaning them off with brake cleaner and scuffing them with emory cloth.. Any other ideas?

Old 05-27-2007, 12:17 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
For an emergency, distilled water would be fine.

I gather from that you blew a pipe, correct? I couldn't make out whether it was a coolant pipe, or the IC routing pipe though.
If you blew up part of the coolant system, just run it with the cap off (to keep it from being pressurised) until you work out where the coolant is coming from.

And Keep your eyes on the temp gauge until you get'r sorted.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:35 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Storm,

You could have two seperate issues going on, you could have gotten an air bubble in your cooling system and then things got hot in locallized places and when the air bubbles & hot fluid got around to the degass bottle fluid boiled out. If you have air bubbles in the cooling system the water temp gauges does not accurately record the temp as high as it really is.

The over boost issue could be sticking Turbo vanes, and the IC boot blew off do to overboost.

Now for the potential bad news, over boost occurred and before it blew the boot off, it lifted a head gasket or the EGR cooler has failed, and this lead to coolant leaving the degass bottle.

You are going to have to trouble shoot it in the daylight to see what really went wrong.

Good luck.

Old 05-27-2007, 01:11 AM
Storm
Postmaster
I just yanked all the IC pipes and boots off.. Stuffed the holes with rags for overnight.. I checked upside and down.. No blown hoses.. The air in the system sounds possible as we did cut the high side hose and the degas return line to feed the coolant filter in..

The boot that blew was infact the same pipe I pulled off.. I'm thinking now the overboost was due to the boot not being tight.. Its the only thing I can think off.. I did notice that the other clamp was not very tight.. I may have slipped tightening things down as I was pissed because of the massive amount of coolant that was all over the drive way during install.. The boot that blew was the IC to Turbo pipe.. It blew on the IC connecting side.. The clamp that disappeared is the one on the IC pipe, the clamp on the IC outlet was loose as well..

I got a new clamp coming tomorrow and I just looked at the coolant and shes way overfilled.. So I'm thinking now I'm going to have to suck out coolant... I checked top, bottom, removed the batteries, pulled the intake.. There is not a single Radiator hose blown thank god..

The only explanation I can come up with is a leaked boot causing the overboost that blew off the hose.. Like I said before.. The last 3 weeks I've been driving on practically stock tune with a max of 25lbs of boost.. Today I switched back to the hot tune to clear out the turbo and system.. I know for a fact had I not removed this IC pipe and did this mod.. I wouldnt have blown a hose.. The Hot tune isn't that severe, it's limited to only fueling enough to pull 28lb boost.. Well below factory specification..

So my question.. Its pretty certain I introduced air into my system by hooking up that coolant filter.. How do I get air out of it?

Also.. Tomorrow I'll be cleaning the pipes/boots with brake cleaner.. Any suggestions? I am going to use emory cloth to scuff the boots, I assume scuffing only the sections that go on the pipes where the clamp is? Not the entire boot.. Also I read some threads where folks put an adhesive on? What type?

Old 05-27-2007, 01:35 AM
Powermoon
Senior User
Hey Storm, sorry to hear about your problem. I've heard about others in the same situation (blowing the hose off) using hair spray as the adhesive when reinstalling the boot. Not sure how well it works but it is something you can try.

Moon

Old 05-27-2007, 01:37 AM
Storm
Postmaster
Bingo.. Thats what I needed to hear.. I'll try hairspray.. It works for chicks to keep their bottoms from riding.. Should work for boots lol..

I gotta get some shut eye.. I'm beat.. Looong night..

Old 05-27-2007, 01:41 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Storm,

Only one problem with the loose boot and high boost theory. A loose boot causes low boost readings not high. I would check for sticking turbo vanes.

Old 05-27-2007, 01:44 AM
Storm
Postmaster
Sigh.. Don't see why it would suddenly be stuck vanes.. Never had that problem in the past and I drive almost 100 miles day.. Lol

I can't win for loose ;-)

Old 05-27-2007, 01:50 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Hard to say for sure, but it is a 2004 model so it does not have the updated turbo on it. Did you ever install the ARP headstuds?

Old 05-27-2007, 03:04 AM
Storm
Postmaster
Originally Posted by blackhat620
Hard to say for sure, but it is a 2004 model so it does not have the updated turbo on it. Did you ever install the ARP headstuds?
Not yet..

I did notice something tho.. While I was taking the intake off I decided to look in the intake tube.. I disconnected at the clamp just past my MAF Sensor.. Theres some orange on one of the turbo fins.. I couldn't tell exactly what it was but to me it looks like rust perhaps? Kinda has me wondering..

May call my service manager and ask him about it.. At the moment I still have a warranty but while back, back in Jan/Feb when I first got it before I did any mods.. I was having boost issues but never had gauges to monitor.. I'm wondering if in fact somethings up with the turbine.. Then I dont know.. Kinda hard to pinpoint since I've had nothing but good power since the tuning..

Hmm.. I'll have to consult with him on this.. See where we stand with our mod ration to engine damage that we lined out when I installed my current mods..

I'll keep you guys posted..

Old 05-27-2007, 10:42 AM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Storm
While I was taking the intake off I decided to look in the intake tube.. I disconnected at the clamp just past my MAF Sensor.. Theres some orange on one of the turbo fins.. I couldn't tell exactly what it was but to me it looks like rust perhaps?
I have an Orange paint mark on one fin on the intake side of mine as well Storm. I don't think that's anything for you to worry about.

I wish I had more for you on the rest, but I hven't had a problem like that before. I have blown my boots off, but mostly due to clamps coming loose over time. Sure makes a hell of a noise don't it?

Old 05-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Todder
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did it blow the coolant out of the res? You just installed a coolant filter so your coolant problem has to do with that. As for the IC boot blowing off I did that a couple times in my '04 and that sucker would make 38psi with a wild tune. When I was knee deep in it the peak boost (shifting at 4600) would peak at 41 psi, never lost a drop off coolant and my headgaskets were cherry.
One thing might be dumb to mention but sometimes you will get a little bit of oil in your boost gauge line and it will cause false readings every now and then. But with prior boost issues this might no pertain to you.
If you want my advice don't be worried about 35 psi I would give anything if my '06 could hit that. If it blows up thats just a better excuse to get wire ring gaskets and continue with your plans a little faster. haha

So just go over you coolant filter system again cause it's prolly something minor. And drive like a bat outta hell.

Quick Reply: EMERGENCY HELP! Please read..