Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Died and won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 11:38 AM
richochet
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Died and won't start

99 powerstroke died and won't start. Had problems before and replaced IDM. Ran for about 1 month. SAme thing. Replaced IDM again, also replaced cam shaft sensor, still won't start. Oil level is fine. Batteries are fine. Wiring harness was fine when I first replaced IDM. Got any ideas??

Old 05-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is something killing your IDM or was that second one just a test?

HPOP, IPR, ICP, Fuel Pump, Battery voltage while cranking. Lots of possibilities

Old 05-26-2007, 02:58 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you sure you getting fuel ?
check the wires on the fuel pump reset switch, pull off the passenger side kick panel off and inspect the wires going to that switch, few guys had them smoked up and melt, just somthing to check

Old 05-26-2007, 09:55 PM
richochet
New User
I am not getting fuel, because there is no exhaust when i crank engine. Took lid off of fuel filter and turned key on. Fuel swelled up, so I asssume that is ok, but fuel is definitely not getting to injectors.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:02 PM
richochet
New User
When truck last died, it did it like it was electrical, not fuel. because it was instant. It didn't struggle or slobber around. I change out IDM again, just guessing that it was the problem again. I have no scanner. I would be happy to take to a mechanic, if I knew of one in my area. Dealer is not a place to go!! Can anyone help me in western Illinois or eastern Missouri?

Old 05-26-2007, 10:11 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well cause you getting fuel, wont fire your truck if you pressure is low, do you know your fuel pressure ?
sounds like fuel pump problem, or fuel delivery, did you check what i told you to check ?

Old 05-27-2007, 07:23 AM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Need to see what kind of pressure the HPOP is buidling and how much fuel pressure is available at the bowl.

Fuel - you can plumb a gauge into the test port on the rear of the fuel bowl.

Oil (HPOP) - little more difficult, you will need gauge and lines capable of handling 3000psi. on the inboard side of the head about 3 cylinders back there is a plug in the oil galley that you can remove and attach a fitting.

I'm betting on something tied to the High Pressure Oil System - IPR, HPOP, Biased ICP sensor.