triple towing ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 12:12 AM
country2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
triple towing ???

any one ever tow a fith wheel and a small boat like a bass tracker? What hitch did you use and how well did it work? I will not be towing far or fast.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:20 AM
Colossus
Posting Guru
Correct me if I'm wrong please but last time I saw this brought up it started quite the little argument. As far as I'm aware, you need a special CDL to even haul 2 trailers at once. Either way, Not Recommended.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:59 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It really depends on your state. Many states allow pulling two trailers at once with your truck. Most states require that the first trailer be a 5th/gooseneck and the second trailer is a TT. Most states require trailer brakes on the first trailer and some states limit the weight of the second trailer. You just mount a reciever hitch on the rear of the 5th/Goosneck and hook the TT up that way.

Two drawbacks are 1)backing is out of the question so you have to plan ahead, 2) you have to weigh everything carefully to make sure you are not overloaded and that the weight is distributed properly. Same rules apply for pin(15-25%) and tongue(10-15%) weights.

I just looked up Georgia and triple towing is not allowed. Triple towing is also not allowed in CA, OR, WA, but it is allowed in ID, UT, WY, MT, AZ.

You really need to check your state laws to be sure.
www.rvadvice.com/rvtravel.html

Hope this helps

Old 05-25-2007, 07:10 AM
humpty
New User
In Minnesota triple towing is allowed but the 1st trailer must be a fifth wheel no longer than 28' and the 2nd trailer must be a boat, atv or Motorcycle with the total length not to exceed 60'. Also triple towing is not allowed in the seven county area during the hours of 6 to 9am and 4 to 7pm.

humpty

Old 05-25-2007, 07:49 AM
95van
Senior User
Many 5ers have less pin weight than that - mine was designed with more like 5% pin weight. Triple towing with a set up like that could quickly go to negative tongue weight over bumps as the tongue of the last trailer loads the rear of the 5er...

Old 05-25-2007, 12:25 PM
labrown
Junior User
This is 2 trailers. It is called DOUBLES towing. It is allowed in most states. Some, including CA require a CDL with doubles rider. I towed doubles last weekend in SoCal. 5th, and a PWC behind. Total 11k and 55 ft. No problems.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:16 PM
SLE
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
55ft would be a dream, I'm spread out 73'. ND law says I can go to 75' but hopefully the next camper will be a fifthwheel so even if I do buy a larger boat I surely won't be any longer than I already am!

The whole key to doing this is first to abide by your state laws, next is to set up the whole train with proper hitches, sway bars, tongue weights, mirrors/cameras and then remember exactly what your towing when your manuvering down the road; IE don't try breaking any land speed records and keep your manuvering and lane changes smooth! with the proper setup and a comperhensive driver it can be a great way to get a whole lot of stuff from point A to point B and doesn't need to be eventfull!

Old 05-26-2007, 11:16 PM
SLE
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
By the way, pics in my towing gallery if anybodies interested.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:01 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by country2
any one ever tow a fith wheel and a small boat like a bass tracker? What hitch did you use and how well did it work? I will not be towing far or fast.
I double tow all time (One truck one 5ver and one boat trailer is double tow) I have a receiver hitch on the back of my trailer made by Hitchhiker for HH trailers. With proper planning it works just fine but backing up is a problem just don't backup (proper planning). In my gallery I have a photo of the rig.

Denny

Old 05-27-2007, 06:43 PM
renegade734
Junior User
Originally Posted by Colossus
Correct me if I'm wrong please but last time I saw this brought up it started quite the little argument. As far as I'm aware, you need a special CDL to even haul 2 trailers at once. Either way, Not Recommended.
In Michigan, it's called a "recreational double" and it requires a knowlwdge test and a free "R" endorsement. No skills test is required.

'A "recreational double" is a pickup truck pulling a fifth-wheel trailer designed for recreational living purposes, with a second trailer attached to the rear of the fifth-wheel trailer ... The total length of the combination cannot exceed 65 feet'

--from "What Every Driver Must Know"
www.michigan.gov/sos

-->renegade

Last edited by renegade734; 05-27-2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Chance_Thomas
More Turbo
In Texas and Oklahoma it's 75feet from bumper to bumper.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:26 AM
country2
Senior User
I was under the impression that as long as the rv was a fith wheel it was legal in Ga. I thought I found it in writing at one time but i cant find it to save my life.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:45 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by country2
I was under the impression that as long as the rv was a fith wheel it was legal in Ga. I thought I found it in writing at one time but i cant find it to save my life.
You will find that a lot of states allow it with a 5ver but not with a TT, at one time the Tailer Life Towing guide had them listed separately but they dropped that about the same time they mistakenly started calling it triple towing.

Denny

Old 06-01-2007, 06:58 AM
country2
Senior User
I see a lot of RV sites have a guide with towing requirements and they all show Ga as a no triple towing state but as I stated above I thought w/ a fith wheel it was ok. I guess I may have to call the DMV, but you know how it is when you call the government. If anyone knows where to find the info I would appreciate.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:42 AM
Sportdeck262
Senior User
Country2,

It is NOT legal in GA under any circumstances. Even a snowbird going to FL for the winter is illegal, but I've seen it on the road many times. I checked with the GDOT and they said only a TT style dolly and a second kingpin trailer would make it legal. You would also need a CDL with doubles rating.

Quick Reply: triple towing ???