Sponsored by: Moser

Lowering a 1974 F100 4X2

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:38 AM
HareBall
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lowering a 1974 F100 4X2

I am looking for info on lowering my 1974 F100. I did a search of this site and came up with topics having nothing to do with lowering my truck. Or anybody else's truck for that matter.
There needs to be a way of searching only single forums. But that is another topic.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
There is...It's in the advanced search area.

Also this is another example of Why Users should learn and know to put the actual topic in the title.

The "title" data base is much smaller and can be more effective than the message box search.

I know I sound like a broken record.....but it is a fact that Title search is more effective than message box search

Last edited by Mil1ion; 05-24-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:03 PM
m78
More Turbo
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Buy a toyota and lower it , raise a ford

Old 05-24-2007, 04:03 PM
HareBall
Senior User
M78
First, why would I want to raise a 2 wheel drive truck. The streets aren't that bad where I live.

Still looking for info. All I found in the advanced search was people telling to buy lowering I-beams. There is more to it than buying things.
I'm starting to think I need some more forums to actually get help.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:42 PM
m78
More Turbo
why would you want to lower it. are the streets that good?

Old 05-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by HareBall
M78
First, why would I want to raise a 2 wheel drive truck. The streets aren't that bad where I live.

Still looking for info. All I found in the advanced search was people telling to buy lowering I-beams. There is more to it than buying things.
I'm starting to think I need some more forums to actually get help.
Only a handful on here actually had lowered a 73-79 truck.

Contact Fordguy545, he has slammed his 1/2 ton 2wd down.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by m78
why would you want to lower it. are the streets that good?
Because it's his damn truck and he'll lower it if he wants to do that.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:20 PM
HareBall
Senior User
Like Jermafenser said, because it's my truck and I like the look of lowered trucks. I don't haul any weight with it and sure ain't gonna tow anything. I'm not talking about slamming it down, but lowering about 2-3" to make it easier to get in and out of. I'm not a kid anymore and don't feel like climbing into a treehouse ;O) But if that is what you want it's OK with me.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:37 AM
uriah
Senior User
The absolute best way to lower these trucks is the beams. Period. You can use dropped springs but may or may not have trouble getting your front end aligned (lots of variations, how much drop, ect...).

Over the years, people have cut the coils, heated them (NOT recommended) among other things. If I used dropped springs up front, I'd limit it to about 1.5" and drop the back to level it. If I wanted to go more, I'd use the dropped beams.

Actually, they have a lowered 1972 around here somewhere (another forum on FTE) sitting on a 90s Crown Vic frame with a 4.6 4 wheel discs, ect... that looks REALLY nice. The wheelbase was really close (73-79 shortbed trucks are a little longer then the old 114" wheelbase).

Old 05-25-2007, 12:05 PM
HareBall
Senior User
Thanx for the helpful posts. I was starting to wonder if there was anyone here wanting to help or was there only people to chastize me for wanting something different from what they like.
Thanx again.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:27 PM
ford141
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hareball,

First of all, I'd like to apologize for the rude comments that you have been getting on here. As soon as you mention lowering a Ford, everyone flips out and says you're being sacreligious or something because you are lowering a vehicle meant to haul things. You just have to get used to it, I have. My 79 is my second vehicle/weekend cruiser/play toy, and it will never haul anything again in its life, and I like lowered trucks, so it got dropped...

I agree with Uriah in that dropped I-beams are the absolute best way to lower the trucks, period. Dropped beams allow you to maintain stock camber when lowering, a problem that you will run into if you just use shorter springs or cut springs. A few companies make them, I personally have the DJM beams. I chose DJM because of their reputation (they have been building dropped beams for a good number of years) and I have been thouroughly impressed with the quality. I got 3" of drop, greatly improved handling, and the truck aligned back up with no problems.

There are some people who have successfully dropped the front with shorter or cut springs, but maximum drop is limited to about 1.5-2".

One user on here has a 73-75 truck and he successfully dropped the front with shorter springs and then took the truck to a big rig alignment shop and had them bend the I-beams to correct the camber. He swears by the technique, but you would have to find a shop that does this type of work. I don't know about the cost.

Another option, though more involved and more costly, is to swap to a Mustang II type setup. More drop can be acheived, probably 4-6", and it can easily be set up for airbags also. Look for a guy name Dave Severson on here, he has experience in these setups and can point you in the right direction.

As far as the rear, there are many options: dropped springs, dropped hangers and shackles, removed leaves, axle flip kit (I have this on mine), and four link. It all depends on your budget and the amount of drop you want.

Check out my gallery for picks of my truck, 3-5 DJM drop.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:08 PM
HareBall
Senior User
Originally Posted by ford141
Hareball,

First of all, I'd like to apologize for the rude comments that you have been getting on here. As soon as you mention lowering a Ford, everyone flips out and says you're being sacreligious or something because you are lowering a vehicle meant to haul things. You just have to get used to it, I have. My 79 is my second vehicle/weekend cruiser/play toy, and it will never haul anything again in its life, and I like lowered trucks, so it got dropped...
You can also go the other way(up) and not be able to use it, cause it sits too high.
I like your lowered truck. So, basically all the rear is, is a way to move the springs under the rearend housing and move the ends of the springs above the mounting point on the frame? Seems like an easy way to level the rear with the front. That is mostly what I want, but wouldn't mind having the front a little lower(about 2") also. How much do you get if you just move the leaves below the housing and don't move the ends of the springs? Might be all I need. After lowering the rear, I might just like it the way it would be.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:55 PM
ford141
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
True about the lift kits... My truck will hang with subcompact cars in turns, which is why I built it. It's all in what you want to use it for. I have a lifted 05 F150 on 35's that does all of my hauling duties, so this work truck is officially retired to "toy" status...

Doing a flip kit like I did, which simply involves relocating the axle to the top of the leaf springs, will give you about 5-6 inches of drop. This is too much for just leveling a truck. Even with my 3" dropped beams, my truck sits perfectly level (see pics in my gallery if you haven't already). If all you want to do is level it, you can get a leveling kit, which just consists of longer shackles to drop the mounting point of the leaf springs, giving you ~2" of drop. If you need more, you can also add dropped leaf spring hangers, which combined with the shackles will give you ~3-4 inches of drop. Or you can go the cheap route and start taking out leaves from the spring packs, but that will hurt hauling capacity and contribute to axle-wrap, especially if you are running a performance engine.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:00 AM
m78
More Turbo
Hareball, My comments werent ment to be rude,they were just sarcastic humor.I have freinds with lowered trucks and joke with them the same and get it in return.I'm sorry if it was sent across wrong i guess you lose all expression in the delivery of a joke when you use a key pad. (I'll have to learn how to use the smiley faces.) As for the roads here, its been humored by many that you need a 4x4 to travel them.
Help for getting in your truck can be acomplished by installing a small handicap bar above the door on the inside, it also saves wear on the seat by holding some of the weight as you slide in.I said a small bar because it is possible to hit your head on it if the truck hits a good bump
I hope everybody is having great weather for the Memorial Day weekend as it is here Mark

Old 05-26-2007, 09:12 AM
HareBall
Senior User
Originally Posted by m78
Hareball, My comments werent ment to be rude,they were just sarcastic humor.I have freinds with lowered trucks and joke with them the same and get it in return.I'm sorry if it was sent across wrong i guess you lose all expression in the delivery of a joke when you use a key pad. (I'll have to learn how to use the smiley faces.) As for the roads here, its been humored by many that you need a 4x4 to travel them.
Help for getting in your truck can be acomplished by installing a small handicap bar above the door on the inside, it also saves wear on the seat by holding some of the weight as you slide in.I said a small bar because it is possible to hit your head on it if the truck hits a good bump
I hope everybody is having great weather for the Memorial Day weekend as it is here Mark
I guess my problem was that it took 4 responses before I got any helpful info. Then it too probably another 4 before anybody posted anything with links.
I know it didn'tlook like it, but I don't have any problems with snide comments, as long as something useful comes along also. I have been in USENET for too long to let it bother me too much. I used to hang out in alt.hi-po.big-block-ford-mercury. Those guys know how to cut you in a hurry, but they also have a lot of good knowledge about Ford muscle.
I had already been told of someone else's lowered ride and was hoping for him to help me. I PM'd Fordguy545 and he sent me a PM and told me where he got his kit.
I did notice that Demon1300R asked the same thing and he got helpful responses.
Have a good weekend.

Quick Reply: Lowering a 1974 F100 4X2