6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Corroded HFCM drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Black1
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Corroded HFCM drain plug

Today was my first fuel filter change since going to ULSD. I noticed my drain plug was corroded very badly. I didn't have any choice but to re-use it at the moment, but I'll have a new one ready for next time.

It was so bad I had to clean it up with a wire wheel on a bench grinder. I've never seen anything like it.

To answer the obvious question, no, I have not been using any additives.

So why the corrosion? It has me wondering what the heck the rest of my fuel system looks like. Has anyone else experienced this? I did a search and didn't find anything.

This is my fifth fuel filter change. The drain plug never looked any different until today. The only thing that has changed is LSD to ULSD.

Sorry no pics. I may just pull the plug when I get the replacement. Might be a day or two before I get it done though.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:53 PM
WishIhada7.3
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
only thing that could corrode it water..did u drain it into a clean bottle to see what it looks like?? there is nothing corrosive in ULSD...mine has been running that for a long time and my plug was clean as day....

Old 05-15-2007, 10:22 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep, WishIhada7.3 hit the nail on the head. Only thing that will corrode it is water in the system.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:34 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Black1
It has me wondering what the heck the rest of my fuel system looks like.
Reason #1. to run a quality fuel addative each and every tankful.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:20 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Wink Try one of these . . .

Originally Posted by Black1
Today was my first fuel filter change since going to ULSD. I noticed my drain plug was corroded very badly. I didn't have any choice but to re-use it at the moment, but I'll have a new one ready for next time.

It was so bad I had to clean it up with a wire wheel on a bench grinder. I've never seen anything like it.

To answer the obvious question, no, I have not been using any additives.

So why the corrosion? It has me wondering what the heck the rest of my fuel system looks like. Has anyone else experienced this? I did a search and didn't find anything.

This is my fifth fuel filter change. The drain plug never looked any different until today. The only thing that has changed is LSD to ULSD.

Sorry no pics. I may just pull the plug when I get the replacement. Might be a day or two before I get it done though.
Replace it with one of these types, it is brass and will not be a problem going forward. It is the IH replacement plug.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Black1
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Lonewolftx
Replace it with one of these types, it is brass and will not be a problem going forward. It is the IH replacement plug.
Thanks, will do.

I have the IH part #. Headed there this afternoon!

Old 05-16-2007, 11:17 AM
glm racers
Senior User
I've never had my HFCM water indication light come on, but in my experience mine will run rough and has no power and the procedure I have taken is to drain the HFCM when this occurs.

I have tried shutting the engine off without draining the HFCM, to reset the sensors, but in my case this does not work either.
Perhaps it may have been bad Diesel, but I frequently make my purchase from Shell so I don't believe this is the case either.
I also don't use any fuel additives, I personally thing they're all a waist of money.
Does anyone else experience this proplem??

Old 05-16-2007, 11:27 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by glm racers
I've never had my HFCM water indication light come on, but in my experience mine will run rough and has no power and the procedure I have taken is to drain the HFCM when this occurs.

I have tried shutting the engine off without draining the HFCM, to reset the sensors, but in my case this does not work either.
Perhaps it may have been bad Diesel, but I frequently make my purchase from Shell so I don't believe this is the case either.
I also don't use any fuel additives, I personally thing they're all a waist of money.
Does anyone else experience this proplem??
Do you get any water our of the HFCM when you drain it?

I suspect that your rough running, lack of power is do to a bad sensor or sticking EGR valve or wire chafing.

If you have enough water in your fuel that it is getting past the filter in the HFCM and into the injectors, to cause rough running, lack of power then you would have serious injector problems sooner rather than later. It does not take much water at the injector to cause the injector to fail.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:39 AM
glm racers
Senior User
Originally Posted by blackhat620
Do you get any water our of the HFCM when you drain it?

I suspect that your rough running, lack of power is do to a bad sensor or sticking EGR valve or wire chafing.

If you have enough water in your fuel that it is getting past the filter in the HFCM and into the injectors, to cause rough running, lack of power then you would have serious injector problems sooner rather than later. It does not take much water at the injector to cause the injector to fail.
No water, just clean Diesel. I thought that it might reset the ICP, but this sensor has been disabled with the latest reflash.

I have never removed the EGR valve, so perhaps it un-stick itself during the procedure?

I have an 03 built date 1-2-03 with 56k miles of both towing and commuting and I'm the original owner.

BTW I've started a new thread "runs like hell after draining the HFCM" to get more feedback.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:04 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
glm racers,

There are several sensors that can cause this problem, also a sticking EGR valve, and your truck is the correct vintage for wire chafing issues. All of these can be intermittent problems and hard to detect. Best to get your local competent diesel tech to take a thorough look.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:16 PM
glm racers
Senior User
Originally Posted by blackhat620
glm racers,

There are several sensors that can cause this problem, also a sticking EGR valve, and your truck is the correct vintage for wire chafing issues. All of these can be intermittent problems and hard to detect. Best to get your local competent diesel tech to take a thorough look.
I've read these and many other issues regrading my early six-oh here at FTE, and so far my truck has never left me stranded.

I'm thinking that the draining procedure releases trapped air? becuase after I perform this procedure the throttle response is significantly improved and injector noise level and engine vibrations are reduced.

I have noticed that the problem occurs after sustained highway driving and/or after long towing trips with my 13k # toy hauler.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:40 PM
buckshot047
Senior User
I stripped the friggin plug out and cant get it to budges...pretty sure the previous owner never touched it...I changed the filter anyway...any suggestions on getting that dang thing out would be great.....

Old 05-16-2007, 03:23 PM
glm racers
Senior User
Originally Posted by buckshot047
I stripped the friggin plug out and cant get it to budges...pretty sure the previous owner never touched it...I changed the filter anyway...any suggestions on getting that dang thing out would be great.....
Ouch. I hate it when you know that a metrix allen will do the job correctly but you already have a standard allen on your hands and it just fits Ok.
I hate it when that happens.

Try using a set punch and tapping the edge of the plug to lossen it, or drill and reverse tap it just enough to thread a bolt so that you can get a wrench to remove the plug.
If all else fails weld a nut at the end of the plug, but use low current and spot weld it to avoid warping the housing.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
I believe a few guys here suggested using jb weld to attach the allen wrench to the stripped plug and then pulling it out and replacing it with the new IH plug shown above.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:02 PM
ottr1967
Senior User
I was unsuccessful on the JB welded wrench method so I ended up removing the cover and using a drill and easy-out on a work bench. Just be careful with the gasket when reinstalling the cover.

Quick Reply: Corroded HFCM drain plug