1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Invest in my PSD or swap in a Cummins????

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Mad Max II
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Invest in my PSD or swap in a Cummins????

Please do not make this a PSD -V- Cummins bashing session...

I like my truck and is runs great. It has over 200K on it and the only parts replaced have been a water pump and CPS.

Here is my question. I want to get about 500 HP out of my truck and I have a couple of options. My dad owns a moving business and he has three PSD's and three Cummins. One of the 97 Cummins got recked and my dad is going to part the truck out and he said I can have what I want.

The Cummins has a little over a 100K on it. I know what it will take to get my PSD to run like I want it but I do not know what the cost to install the Cummins and mod it to make 500 HP.

If I stick with my PSD here are my plans.

BTS Twin HP Pumps - $2500
Injectors - $2500
Turbo - $1500
Fuel System - $600

Total = $7100

Since I can get the Cummins for free [img]biggrin.gif[/img] what I would like to know is what it would take to install it in my truck and mod it to make to 500 HP. I will be doing to work myself so labor is not an issue.

This truck is my daily driver and I need to to be able to tow when I need it so the mods need to be dependable.

Thanks,

Barry

Old 05-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.fordcummins.com/

There has been an 1100 HP Fummins I believe in DP Mag a while back.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Mad Max II
Freshman User
Thanks Alan,

I am aware of Fummins and fordcummins. Fummins has about every mod you can do to a cummins and that is not what I am looking for.

I have also heard that ford cummins does not have the best quality.

What I am looking for is what the kit would cost to install the cummins and what mods would need to be done to the cummins to make it pump out 500 HP.

Thanks,

Barry

Old 05-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
I vote for the Cummins.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:17 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I would say the cummins too. The powerstroke is a good motor, but I just cant see it being cheaper to mod a PSD, then a cummins, and make over 500 horse.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:18 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My vote is to stick with the PSD. You're looking at a lot of work involved to get the swap done, and if I were going to swap a Cummins in it would be a newer CR version. Factor in the cost of the conversion, the cost of the necessary parts to get the Cummins to 500 HP, and your time...it might come out about the same to invest in your PSD.

Is your truck an auto? If so, you'll need to look into upgrading the trans either way you go if you want to run 500 HP through it. If you do the Cummins conversion, you'll also need a programmable trans controller to run an auto.

This was a pretty heated topic of discussion on a different place a while back. Opinions were pretty mixed, but one thing was unanimous - fordcummins is not the place to go for a conversion. A company called Destroked was suggested by several people, including some reputable builders. Here's a link to their site: http://www.destroked.com/

Old 05-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I vote for a solidly done 500 HP PSD. But, depending on the year, a 500 HP PSD will need some other stuff done to it for it to be solid. I'm not a fan of cross-polinating (like dropping 350s into Model As, etc.), so these Cummins-equipped "Frankentrucks" while having a certain cool factor, just don't seem right...

Joe

Old 05-11-2007, 11:24 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
I also vote for Destroked conversion kits. The only way i would do a conversion would be a Commonrail cummins. For 500hp, on a 97 engine (which is a 12valve mechanical engine), you would need a set of injectors (ridiculously cheap compared to PSDs- <$1000), modifications to the pump, and possibly a set of compound turbos. And of course like the PSD that you are forgetting, things like air intake, exhaust, intercooler, fuel delivery aside from ON the engine, a TRANSMISSION (you can keep your 4R100 with a Destroked kit. If the cummins engines didnt sound so ridiculously similar to a ricer fart can tone, then i would really WANT one.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
The Cummins is out of what a Dodge or a commercial truck ?

If its out of a commercial truck forget it you will have to modify too much to make it work. If its out of a Dodge then its already automotive ready. You build your own motor mounts etc and make it work.

Building up a Cummins is a been there done that its like a 350 Chevy in a hotrod no originality its the same old same old.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:32 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Kenworth check out the destroked link. They have made it ridiculously easy nowadays.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Benny2002
Posting Guru
There is an article in this months Diesel Power magazine about the fummins, its not the whole conversion but it i think talks about all he has had to do to it overall, nothing specific. I know you dont want 1000hp, 10sec 1/4, truck but its a ballpark on what your getting involved in. Banks is also developing the paralell twin turbo intake system for the street, not just for race anymore

Old 05-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Mad Max II
Freshman User
Thanks for the feedback guys. I forgot to mention a few things.

I have a BTS Trans that will hold up fine with 500 HP. I also have 4 inch exhaust that I should be able to mod to work on the Cummins. I also have the Ford AIS intake and a BTS 100 chip so if I stick with the PSD I am going to have BTS re-program my chip for the new found power. That is why I did not list them.

From what I have read the 12 valve is easy to get reliable power out of. If that is true why go with the newer Cummins?

The Cummins is coming out of a 3500 Dodge so I should be OK there.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:36 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Sounds like you kind of made up your mind. I'll come take that no-longer needed PSD off your hands, and I won't even charge you for the fuel to come get it from Texas!!

Old 05-12-2007, 01:08 AM
Mad Max II
Freshman User
If I go with the cummins I am going to sell my PSD before I pull it. It has been good to me at around the 300 HP it is making. I am worried that I will be pushing it if I push it to the 500 HP level.

I am going to talk to Brian at BTS and Black Widow before I give up on the PSD.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:23 AM
my79f
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
hey id be interested in that BTS trans that you got.

also if your gonna put the cummins in why not go the extra mile and put some chevrolet seats in so you can ride in your fummins mo comfotable. then it would be the most ideal truck that you could own. the power of a cummins, the quality and looks of the ford body, and the comfeness of the chevrolet seats.