N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Off-Topic Poll Results

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 05:56 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off-Topic Poll Results

The results of the poll were three against, five for, and a couple wanted a third option. It was by far the most controversial question we ever posted. Several people had strong feelings one way or another and no clear consensus was reached.

The fact that we can not reach a consensus on how we are going to reach a consensus speaks volumes about the independent nature of us all.

It makes it harder for me when I suggest a meeting, or some other activity. I never know if you think the idea sucks, or just do not want to commit to anything, or think it sounds good and you will help were you can.

I am also guilty of tunnel vision, and can take only one idea at a time. I find idle chitchat and off-topic posts confusing, and wonder just what the member wanted to tell me.

Sometimes I need to be hit with a 2X4 to get my attention, yet some members are too gentle and polite to tell me it is a stupid idea. To compensate for this I study all posts, trying to extract a hidden meaning that may not be there.

On all committees I have served, or been chairman of, it was up to the chairman to keep the group focused. Therefore, whoever started the thread can take that responsibility – and ask members to stay focused. If there are any problems with this, we will let the moderators call the shots.

What I would like is for you guys to appoint a two or three member board of directors that I can bounce ideas off, and who will tell me if they are worth proposing to the group.

Right now we have a Newsletter to build, a Project Truck to finish, and need to make plans for a chapter meeting over Memorial Day, at Hot August Nights and Speed Week. We need to do this with the background that our firefighters might have one of the worst ever fire seasons, and gas may go to $4 or more.

Dan, please make this a sticky note – we will leave it on top for a few weeks so that everyone gets to express their opinion.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:44 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thread stuck...

Your wish is my command, O great leader...

Old 05-09-2007, 09:48 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Originally Posted by WillyB

What I would like is for you guys to appoint a two or three member board of directors that I can bounce ideas off, and who will tell me if they are worth proposing to the group.
My opinion is I don't think a panel is needed to review anyones ideas or suggestions.

If someone has an idea or suggestion, then they should post up...no reason to get a consensus to see if it's "good to post or not".

Old 05-09-2007, 09:53 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Originally Posted by WillyB
Therefore, whoever started the thread can take that responsibility – and ask members to stay focused. If there are any problems with this, we will let the moderators call the shots.[/size]
I think this is the best suggestion...I've seen this done on other boards and in threads before...the "topic starter" polices the thread....usually though in technical-type threads, but the idea is a sound one.

Great suggestion that I think would please everyone.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:53 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 3Mike6
My opinion is I don't think a panel is needed to review anyones ideas or suggestions.

If someone has an idea or suggestion, then they should post up...no reason to get a consensus to see if it's "good to post or not".
Mike, you don't understand - I can not tell from the response to my post if there is a consensus that we should proceed. For instance, several members have responded to my thread on Hot August Nights, yet no one has offered to step up and make sure a meet happens, or even expressed any interest in attending a meet.

I will not be there, or if I am it will be just a stop on the way to the Salt Flats. Even if I was I would still want someone else to make the arrangements, like Jag Red and others did for the Lodi meeting.

I was hoping the executive committee would get the commitments from the other members, and oversee the planning of such events.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:11 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I dunno Clint,

It may just be me, or thers are the same way, but I don't respond if I don't have a chance in hell to make it...

I/e...the kids start school that week, and the wife is on her way to Mexico with her mom...so, I'm "Mr. Mom...can't make it, can't even think about about it...

I guess if you're solicitring "Yeas and Nayes", then I can see wht you're getting at, but for me, if I have no chance, I just don't reply.

Also, I think you might be overdoing it just a bit, it's tough as nails to get just a few of us together everey 6 months...be even tougher to get a few folks to become a "committee" to filter through things.

This is just an enjoyment site, place to gab and yack. We've had some good outings, and most likely will continue to do so...but I'd bet that no one wants to make a job out of it.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:16 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 3Mike6
. . . .

This is just an enjoyment site, place to gab and yack. . . . ...
See, I did not know that! I thought we wanted to make this into an action site with members doing things they enjoy. A basic misunderstanding of our aims and goals.

If this is truly what the member's want, then I have been barking up the wrong tree! I am not being sarcastic, this site is member driven. If that is what the member's want, so be it!

As for overdoing it - you are not the first to tell me that. It is a character flaw I have always had. I believe anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:07 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
You may have misunderstood me...when I said "This is just an enjoyment site, place to gab and yack", I was referring to this corner of FTE, i/e this forum.

We all would like to see the Chapter grow, and it has over the past year and will most likely continue to do so. I just think at this time in the chapters life, it's too small to be run like a fully structured club.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:53 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For off topic posts, how about if moderators could edit the posts, but changing the font color to a very light yellow, or something, so readers could avoid it if they chose to stay on topic. That would allow the policy offending mis-posts to be overlooked, and the discussion would, hopefully, stay on track.
Also, the poster would get the hint, or so to speak, be advised, politely, that their post was off topic. This, of course, would be used for blatently off topic posts.

If there was a "slight" deviation from the topic, but still reference thereto the subject, then this idea shouldn't apply. I don't see a problem with a little sway outside the lines of discussion at times. It kind of adds a little color to the reading, and keeps it interesting and fun. JMO

Old 05-13-2007, 10:04 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sure, give me more to do...

Old 05-13-2007, 12:21 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Tim, we want our chapter to be membership driven - within the FTE "family friendly" guidelines. It just works better to have the forum self governed.

Besides that, the moderators have several forums to monitor. They can quickly check the content of a post to make sure it is appropriate and will not cause or continue a flame war. It is to much to ask them to judge if the post stays on topic too.

Last edited by WillyB; 05-13-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:05 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
I like Tim's idea, but it seems to me that heavy moderation of "off topic" material should be limited to chronic offenders. I think of this corner of the FTE site as a group of friends discussing miscellaneous stuff. Just like any other conversation, the subject can meander a little bit with no harm. If there is a pattern of an individual that seems to routinely and maliciously divert the subject, perhaps it is time to offer a gentle slap on the wrist.

Last edited by AnOldDog; 05-13-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:15 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Topics such as my " 'roo guard" thread are fun, written more for the entertainment than the information. You can get a good idea from such a thread, but it does not matter how far it goes off topic. You can post anything you want to to it.

Topics such as Mike's "Snake Oil" are a member wanting specific information, which should be provided without a bunch of other off-topic comments.

That is just normal web etiquette, and how we should run our posts, IMO. Just what is off-topic is a judgment call - and the person asking the question is the best judge. You shouldn't substitute our judgment for yours - it is unfair to us, causes extra work, and makes me and the moderators into the bad guys.

In addition, there is no "gentle slap on the wrist" if we do it. The offending member acts like a spoiled child and threatens to never post again. It is a perception sort of thing - we see a mild reminder, he sees it as a heavy authority walking all over his rights. He feels we are picking on him.

Peer pressure is much more effective, and avoids hard feelings.