1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 Engine stops at low mph during braking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Cerisecons
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 7.3 Engine stops at low mph during braking.

Engine - 2001 7.3 PSD, 101,000m, w/ 4" turbo back exhaust, AFE intake, using Superchips programmer at the time.

Problem: About 3 months ago, my 2001 PSD engine was stopping during low mph braking (20mph or less). The engine easily restarted after shifted to park. This was occurring initially while I was towing a 6000 lb. trailer. (During a regular weekend trip it might occur 1 time each trip). It was so rare I figured it was water in fuel. Then it began occurring while not towing, until finally stopping and not restarting. I had is towed to Ford and the Exhaust gas backpressure sensor was reported as the issue.<O></O>

No problems for a few months until last week while towing a new 5th wheel it happened again with the same initial conditions. This time while stopped at the curb, I connected the SC Tuner and removed the programming taking the engine back to stock conditions. Restarted and had no more issues on the drive back.<O></O>

I realize that the SC tuner may be one if the issues, but does anyone have other ideas what may also be an issue?
Maybe ULSD? The Tuner and towing was fine before ULSD was at the pumps.<O></O>

Thanks for any ideas and help.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:22 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I vote CAM SENSOR!!!

Old 05-05-2007, 04:24 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
oops I forgot to welcome you! might want to post this in the 99 to 2002 7.3 forum as well

Old 05-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Cerisecons
New User
Is CAM the same thing as CPS?

Old 05-05-2007, 05:43 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
yes it is, & it is the most common of failures on the 7.3 I found that csk (checker, schuks, kragen) carries them in most stores for around $100 and 1/2 the time when you open the box a genuine ford packaged part complete with part # is inside i have also gotten them off e-bay for less than $65 but I would just as soon get it today. ford sells it for around $160 its the exact same part # & packageing as checker a 10 mm 1/4 drive socket, 1" extension & ratchet are all you need to change it I allways kept 1 spare in the glove box w/ that set-up I could r&r it roadside in 15 to 20 minutes depending on traffic good luck.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:05 PM
Kingtim7
Senior User
I'd call SC seems how its fine without their tunes. I don't have any other ideas.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Cerisecons
New User
I was reading on another subject yesterday and the subject was that FORD had changed the part and part number from "A" to "B" and the cost is significantly less?

Old 05-05-2007, 07:13 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE, Cerisicons!

(moved duplicate thread here and merged threads)

When the engine dies, just it just cut right out as if you turned the key to OFF? If so then I'd also guess the CPS could be the culprit. Doesn't hurt to change it out, and if it's not the problem, then you have a known good spare, as they do tend to go out now and then on the 7.3s.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Cerisecons
New User
I just ordered 2, now I'll hopefully fix it and have a spare.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:47 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let us know how that works out, Cerisecons.........I encountered the CPS problem right after buying my (first) diesel.........Changed it out and runs like a stradivarius ever since.........

Good changing procedures at the top of this page........"articles/specs" and diesel articles......."How to change a CPS....."........

Old 05-05-2007, 09:56 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cerisecons
I just ordered 2, now I'll hopefully fix it and have a spare.
I hope you did not pay over $25 for your new cps..www.fordparts.com has them for $15.23 = 9.95 shipping.. p/n F7TZ-12K073-B... FORD factory part..

Old 05-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Cerisecons
New User
Wink

I purchased the CPS/CMP's from powerstrokeshop.com for $15 and change. I had been looking at the forum a week ago and almost purchased some for the old pricing near $100. I am glad I saw the post that Ford was bringing a new one out at such a reduced cost, thus I got two, just in case.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:30 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
It might be worth noting something I was told years ago when I had a similar problem with the engine turning off when braking at low speed while towing. If the rpm falls below some magic number (which I can't remember now) the PCM turns off the fuel!!!

When I experienced my problem, I had just installed my exhaust brake but had not yet installed my BD Torque Lock, and when applying both the service brakes and the exhaust brake with the engine at idle, every once in awhile the idle rpm would fall too low and the engine would turn off. After I changed my braking procedure to always have the TC locked while using the exhaust brake, I had no more problems. I keep the TC locked up down to 15 mph and this keeps the rpm up, and just before reaching 15 mph I disengage the exhaust brake.

I'm wondering if some combination of the load of the A/C + the ps pump + power brakes + something the Superchip might be doing to the idle setting might be doing a similar thing to what I was seeing with the exhaust brake?

Old 05-22-2007, 09:05 AM
Cerisecons
New User
Wink

Finally Changed to the new "B" part yesterday, and it works great. Less engine noise, smooth operation, seems as if the old part has been acting up for a while.

I will respond back in a while with any new information.

Thanks to all for the help and instruction.