1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Don't try this at home

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 11:11 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't try this at home

Being bored, I figured I was going to redo the fuel line coming from the fuel pump to the carburator. The new line came out really nice. To put it on, I needed to remove the ignition wires from the distributor cap and run the wires under the fuel line. I pulled the one side off all at once. Figuring I'm a good mechanic, I put them back in the distributor cap. Went to start the engine to check if I had any gas leaks, and BAMM. I shot a 2 foot flame out the top of the carb. So, being the intelligent person I am, I decided to crank it a few more times, BAMM, another flame, and I notice the fuel line was dripping gas at the carb. I checked the wires again and found that I crossed #6 and 7 on the distributor. But I had fun this weekend.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:17 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,941 Likes on 1,878 Posts
LOL.....woohooo!! I've been there.

Yeah, that first bout of flame throwing had to be a fluke, no way would it happen again (especially with all the raw fuel dripping all over the engine) Why not, lets crank it again......(or at least thats how the thought process always seems to go in my head)

Bobby

Old 04-30-2007, 12:52 PM
azls1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't try this at home? Where should we try it?
Next to the firehouse I suppose.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:27 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't ya just love it

Old 04-30-2007, 03:47 PM
jimhackney
Senior User
Big Pop

That's better than firecrackers

Old 04-30-2007, 06:36 PM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
its even better when it blows flame out the carb and the open headers.dont ask my how or why. hey we were in highschool, oh yea i still am.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:40 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 617 Likes on 383 Posts
If you have a Holley carb (and it isn't melted ) you should check your power valves. They usually bust if you have even a small backfire.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Nuthin
Elder User
At last count, I've lost two full sets of eyebrows that way. Thank Gawd for makeup!

Old 04-30-2007, 07:19 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 733 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Nuthin
At last count, I've lost two full sets of eyebrows that way. Thank Gawd for makeup!

Karen ????

I don't believe I'da told that.... at least admitting to doing it TWICE... glad it wasn't me... I can never get my eyebrows drawn on straight with that silly crayon !!!

later
John

Old 04-30-2007, 07:36 PM
fiddysixF
Senior User
Hmmmm. Must be a Santa Clarita thing. Last time I made a fireball under the hood, once was enough. I didnt crank the engine again out of curiosity!!

It did get my neighbor to come over though..........
Neighbor: "WOW! That fireball was huge! It's out huh? Anything I can do to help?"
Me: "Yeah.... run inside, get us a few beers and grab me some clean underwear!"
To quote my neighbor, I was "shaking like a cat crapping razor blades." The thought of my baby going up in flames was VERY upsetting!

Old 04-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Nuthin
Elder User
Originally Posted by jniolon
Karen ????

I don't believe I'da told that.... at least admitting to doing it TWICE... glad it wasn't me... I can never get my eyebrows drawn on straight with that silly crayon !!!

later
John
Ahem! If I was under the hood to lose the eyebrows... Wasn't me cranking the thing..

It's a specialized skill, the thing with eyebrow 'crayon'. If you have need to know, just PM me and I'll explain it.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:16 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Hmmmm. Must be a Santa Clarita thing. Last time I made a fireball under the hood, once was enough. I didnt crank the engine again out of curiosity!!
Come to think about it, we do have several fires here in Santa Clarita. I tried a second time because I was sure it would "fire up" on the second attempt. It "fired right up.

John, do I have to worry about you? Nuthin has an excuse for wearing the eyebrows. So, ah, what are you trying to tell us John? At least be creative here and say you lost all your nose hairs or something.

Last edited by imlowr2; 04-30-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:23 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Fire

I read as far as run the wires under the fuel line and I new what was next. Don't you just hate it. My barber said you should shave your head so no one will notice the lack of eyebrows. A frosty will fix anything, tomorrow will be a better day. Chuck

Old 04-30-2007, 10:38 PM
RUSTY50F1
Posting Guru
I had one blow the breather off once. Made a big round circle in the hood 1/2 inch tall. Got my attention real quick. But I didn't try it again. ................RUSTY

Old 05-01-2007, 05:21 AM
stewards68
Senior User
Funniest one I ever heard was a buddy who got really overzealous with spray ether on his BBC 454 boat motor. The both valve covers were vented into the air cleaner, and he managed to pressurize all the above with the ether. The resulting 4.3 richter scale explosion sent both his flaming valve covers about 50 feet into the air and then the lake. Funniest part of the story is that for some reason the crazy fool thought he should try to save the covers before they sank in the lake. Had enough time to scream a bunch of colorful language during his dive and he still hit the water before the covers did. Only managed to save one as they blew off in different directions.... Wasn't much use as the bolt holes were a BIT enlarged at that point....but a nice souvenir...