Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine dies intermittently in 93 XLT 5.0

Old 07-21-2001, 08:46 PM
ajaprea
New User

Hi,

I have a 1993 Bronco XLT with 83,000 miles on the 5.0 liter engine. The truck has developed an intermittent problem that I could use some help trying to resolve. Sometimes when I've been driving for 30 min. or more at interstate speed (which for me is typically 65-75 mph), I will notice that the truck starts to run a little rough. The problem worsens when I have to slow down because of traffic or because I am on surface streets. The engine knocks and pings, and yes the Bronco even "bucks" a bit in traffic before it stalls, at which time it cannot be restarted. I do notice the smell of gasoline when I can't start it, almost like when a carbureted engine is flooded. If I wait a couple of hours or more, the truck will start as if nothing had happened, and I can go on my merry way. While this is inconvenient when I'm driving around town, it was nearly disastrous when it happenend on a trip from NJ to DC.

The first time this happened about three and a half years ago, the garage insisted that the fuel filter was clogged and they replaced it. Since it was in need of a tune-up, I went ahead and had the plugs and plug wires changed and the fuel injectors and inductors cleaned. This appeared to fix at least the symptoms of the problem, since although occasionally the "check engine" light would come on and I might notice a little roughness at speed, the problem went away quickly and I had no problems when I slowed down. About a month ago I had another in town "failure", and the garage cleaned the fuel injectors and gave the truck back to me. Last weekend it died on the way to DC. I had it towed back to the garage, but by the time it got to the garage sufficient time had elapsed that the truck started. They have had it ever since and cannot determine a problem.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I realize that it may be more of a "Ford" problem than a Bronco problem, but I've owned several other fuel injected 5.0 liter (and other sizes) Fords and not had this problem. Of course my Mustangs tend to stay *on* the road, at least if I can help it! Please help!

-Al Aprea

Old 07-22-2001, 01:42 AM
FS88Bronco
Junior User

Al, the problem your describing sounds like a defective "ignition module". This module is attached to the side of the distributor. A defective module will sometimes short out when it becomes hot, causing the engine to quit. If you allow the engine to cool down, the truck will re-start like nothing happened. A friend had to replaced this module on his 1992 Bronco 5.0 a short time back.
You can get an aftermarket part from NAPA or another supplier, or an original Ford module at a reduced price from (fordpartsonline.com) for around $77.00, plus shipping. John