6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Zoodad mod and rain issues ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 04:22 PM
mjlevi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zoodad mod and rain issues ??

If I plan on doing the zoodad mod, and using the stock Donaldson filter, would there be any rain or moisture issues?, it would appear that the airbox would suck in alot of water, thanks for any replies !!

Old 04-25-2007, 04:45 PM
BGMSPD
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
If you do a search you'll see this has been talked about extensively. I can tell you that in my experience i have not seen any issues with this mod. I'm using a AFE Stage 2 setup and unlike others i drilled a series of small holes instead of cutting the large opening.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:10 PM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have 2 1-1/2" holes and have never have had a problem. '04 .Good luck

Old 04-25-2007, 05:14 PM
EZ-Ford
Senior User
You can also use an AirFury. This is really only the Zoodad mod with nice looking grill. Do a google search on AirFury and you will find several places that carry it. This is what I am planning on. It looks nicer, plus the grill will in effect do the same (or better, sorry) than the series of holes the BGMSPD did. It's only $39.95 so not much to keep everything looking finished. Though I do prefer his method over the large open cut out.

Here is a link to it in one online catalog:
http://www.performanceproducts4trucks.com/productpage.aspx?pid=110188&name=AirFury+Cold+Air+ Induction+Maximizer+for+Power+Stroke

Old 04-25-2007, 05:20 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
You won't have any issues as long as you use the blue synthetic Donaldson filter. I've been running it for 3 years with both stock and Airaid filters and have never had any problems with water.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:16 PM
bansheemike
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just installed the AirFury. Nice clean fit and looks good through the stock Ford crome billet grill. Got it from Summit Racing in 2 days.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:23 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Im not sure rain would be a problem unless you get the horizontal rain we sometimes get in wyoming, I did the zoodad and sometimes wonder as well, In the winter during blizzards I have a winterfront to snap on my grill. So if I get worried in a major rain storm I can snap that on.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:33 PM
62rag
Senior User
I did a pattern of 1/2" holes, no problems. I do recall reading that one person drilled the holes below the inlet(not directly in front of it) and did a scoop to channel the air up, to negate any water problems.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:41 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
I have no proof, but it would appear that the zoo-dad mod sounds good in therory but not in reality???

Ever looked at the stock Donnalson "PowerCore" air filter? It is big, thick and filters very well. My own common sense has me thinking that no amount of "directed" air is going to increase the actual air flow coming out the backside of this HUGE filter.

From what I have researched and read here at FTE, the stock air filter will flow all that this motor needs either stock or with moderate mods.... so if the filter will allow this amount of "free-flowing" air... then how is the Zoo-Dad mod going to actually work... if at all???

To prove my point, the next time someone gets a new filter (or if they have a spare)... I would like to have someone hold either a fan in fron of it and see if they can get some string or twine to move on the backside?

My hypothessis is that the filter is so good at filtering and so thick, that the zoo-dad mod works in therory, but not in reality on the 6.0L set-up and motor.

Even though using the blue synthetic blue media, moisture and dirt/dust make mud.... (at least where I come from)... so even though the filter may not be affected, the dirt trapped in it may turn to mud and mush and "clog" it up sooner???

Old 04-25-2007, 09:52 PM
bczolone
Elder User
bingo.....

Old 04-25-2007, 10:24 PM
c.f.moore
Senior User
I've been running the zoodad mod for 2 yrs. Living in the N.W. corner of Washington state, we get rain and more rain. We get snow from the Fraiser River canyon (strong, cold NE winds). Never had a problem with the filter getting wet.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:46 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
LOL--I guess we're still waiting on LEVILLION to do his zoodad "test". It was never about "ram air" since Jeff is right about no air being forced through the back of the filter. For the "hot rodders" at least it was all about lowering air inlet temperatures and getting as much cool air to the intake as directly as possible. There is definitely a difference in EGT temperatures and how fast they come down with the zoodad vs. without the zoodad.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:55 AM
DSMMH
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
No water issues with mine!

I have driven in heavy rain and pulled over and check for water. There were a few droplets in my Jobe but nothing to be concerned about.

I have a Jobe intake. Don't know if you are familar with it but it is an open aluminum assembly that replaces the OEM airfilter and provides for battery relocation and hold down. In other words, my air filter and battery are in the same open space that is sealed from the engine compartment when the hood is closed so I only get cool external air and not hot engine compartment air.

I also have the ZOODAD mod. I cut the fiberglass piece in front of the OEM intake location to install the Fury until I looked at the Fury and thought why do I want to block a space I just opened up. So the Fury is on the shelf and I can look right into the Jobe and see the 8" K&N filter. I have had no water issues with my Jobe other then the screws that hold it together are rusting and I will replace with stainless at the first opportunity. Another advantage the ZOODAD mod gives me is my OAT probe is now located at the bottom of the ZOODAD hole which tells me what my air inlet temperature is.

With respect to Beach's comments about the benefits of the ZOODAD mod, I would like to add the following. The OEM filter design is good but gets the majority of it's air from the hot engine compartment and not directly from the outside as the ZOODAD mod provides. As we all know the cooler or colder the air is at the intake the more dense it is and, therefore, when compressed creates more power. Also, the OEM air inlet is very close to the structure that is removed by the ZOODAD mod. This does hinder free air flow a little. With the ZOODAD mod and an AM intake like the Jobe there is always a slight positive "ram air" pressure on the air box that increases airflow to the turbo. You will probably not notice the effects as much as the engine does but, IMO, it is better then the OEM design. My Jobe flows so freely that I got a recalibrated MAF with the unit so it would not pop MAF codes.

For what it's worth that's my 2 cents.

DSMMH

Old 04-26-2007, 07:43 AM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
BeachBumCook: With the ZOODAD you allow cooler air to flow to the front of the filter. It has nothing to do with the amount of air flowing through the filter.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:52 AM
a-rod
Posting Guru
I still think it helps push air through the filter when at highway speeds, Why else did I seem to see a mileage increase going down the highway? And of course cooler air is always better than sucking air out of the engine compartment.

Quick Reply: Zoodad mod and rain issues ??