6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Zoodad mod and rain issues ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Here is actual failure . . .

Well 1st hand experience has taught me Beach was right in his theory.

I will take exception to the discusion here. I have the Zoodad mod (over a year) and an Airaid filter (since 500 miles). Started having turbo problems last month, 19,241 miles. Finally stopped working all together, CEL code PO299.

Took into dealer for warrenty and they found the turbo had failed and "had excessive rust in turbo". They referenced TSB 06-23-2, replaced and tested, still not working, so replaced VGT solenoid and reran test. Passed turbo test. Finally replaced turbo oil drain tube w/ TSB.

So, I do think the zoodad can allow excesive H2O into the turbo and the Airaid filter wasn't helping the situation.

End result? Replaced stock air filter to protect new turbo and am considering blocking up the zoodad hole.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:28 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by a-rod
I still think it helps push air through the filter when at highway speeds, Why else did I seem to see a mileage increase going down the highway? And of course cooler air is always better than sucking air out of the engine compartment.
LOL--from WAY old school quadrajet carb. rebuild manual. Ram air scoops are about 5% efficient at 200 mph. Maybe it's the cooler denser air?

Old 04-26-2007, 01:19 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
LOL--from WAY old school quadrajet carb. rebuild manual. Ram air scoops are about 5% efficient at 200 mph. Maybe it's the cooler denser air?
Haha, Ive heard that theory as well, I dunno, I still beleive in the ram air theory to some point, at least for the cooler air if nothing else.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
How is the OEM air filter getting engine compartment heat and air as some have reported above???

My OEM filter has two inlets... one gets air from the fender well area and the other gets it from behind the radiator support area. None of this air is hot or heated from the rngine compartment however, I do not disagree that "cooler air" coming in through a hole (zoo-dad mod) may not be better... but by how much is a mystery???

Old 04-26-2007, 03:42 PM
jackofalltrades
Posting Guru
Beachbum, You have an 03 Excursion??? I wonder if there are some inlet differences between models or years. There certainly were some aftercooler tube differences.

I have an 04 F250. The only air inlet to the Donaldson filter is at the front of the housing. 1" or so from the core support. All engine compartment air.

Thus, I did the Zoodad mod two years ago. Never have had a moisture issue. Even in the great north wet.

-Steve

Old 04-26-2007, 03:44 PM
hott-rodd
Elder User
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Ram air works! It was good for 3mph in the 1/4 mile on a 900cc motorcycle.
increased mph from 129 to 132 mph. A free 3-5% increase in effiency sounds
good to me. $30-50 over $1000 in fuel (about every 5-6k mile oil change)

Old 04-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Lightbulb

My '06 has 2 snokels, the main one extends 2 or inches into the front grill area and has about a 3" opening. The second ones extends to the front frame near the headlight and is about a 1" opening fitting into the frame area thrugh a hole in the frame where it extends too. Also about an inch through the front frame.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by jackofalltrades
Beachbum, You have an 03 Excursion??? I wonder if there are some inlet differences between models or years. There certainly were some aftercooler tube differences.

I have an 04 F250. The only air inlet to the Donaldson filter is at the front of the housing. 1" or so from the core support. All engine compartment air.

Thus, I did the Zoodad mod two years ago. Never have had a moisture issue. Even in the great north wet.

-Steve
Jackofalltrades,

As you can see from the post above... there are two inlets or snorkels on the 6.0L motor OEM air intake... or at least on the '03's and '06's??? I am on the road right now, so until I get home on Sunday, this would be the first opportunity I will get to take a digital photo to show what I am speaking of.

Maybe your missing the "hoses" that connect to the front-side of the air filter and route to the two locations discussed above??????

The photo below shows one of the "air inlet" hoses and it is detailed in the "wording to the right" of the photo.

Thanks,

Attached Images  

Last edited by Beachbumcook; 04-26-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Wink Here you go . . .

Here are two pics of the OEM Air Filter setup. I have pulled the smaller snokel out of the frame for ease of seeing it.

Last edited by Lonewolftx; 04-26-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:10 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Here is a photo of 1/2 of the engine compartment... but the pictures posted above are 100% better and show it better for sake of this discussion.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Beachbumcook; 04-26-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:11 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
I think the Zoodad mod needs to be tested on Mythbusters. Beach, your right, a stock unit really shouldnt be getting hot engine compartment air unless the rubber between the rad support and headlight mounting panel is gone. All this talk about that little hose has me thinking of a better place to route it The mini-Zoodad mod, lol.

Last edited by a-rod; 04-26-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by a-rod
All this talk about that little hose has me thinking of a better place to route it The mini-Zoodad mod, lol.
Now that may be an option???

I was told by my diesel tech that the reason for the "two inlet hoses" is in case the main large one gets blocked, snow packs in the grill and blocks the grill area, or if a plow is used and blocks air flow.

The two inlets/hoses allow for max air flow and the "sucking in" of enough air for a stock truck or moderately tuned motor.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:38 PM
phish555
Senior User
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
I have no proof, but it would appear that the zoo-dad mod sounds good in therory but not in reality???

Ever looked at the stock Donnalson "PowerCore" air filter? It is big, thick and filters very well. My own common sense has me thinking that no amount of "directed" air is going to increase the actual air flow coming out the backside of this HUGE filter.

From what I have researched and read here at FTE, the stock air filter will flow all that this motor needs either stock or with moderate mods.... so if the filter will allow this amount of "free-flowing" air... then how is the Zoo-Dad mod going to actually work... if at all???

To prove my point, the next time someone gets a new filter (or if they have a spare)... I would like to have someone hold either a fan in fron of it and see if they can get some string or twine to move on the backside?

My hypothessis is that the filter is so good at filtering and so thick, that the zoo-dad mod works in therory, but not in reality on the 6.0L set-up and motor.

Even though using the blue synthetic blue media, moisture and dirt/dust make mud.... (at least where I come from)... so even though the filter may not be affected, the dirt trapped in it may turn to mud and mush and "clog" it up sooner???

I believe the zoodad mod is really to get more cold air flow, not more air. With the position of the snorkle, it seems that it would suck a lot of hot air from around the radiator.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:49 PM
LOOnatic
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
.........Double post

Last edited by LOOnatic; 04-27-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:50 PM
LOOnatic
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
All mumbo-jumbo aside i cannot see how having a Zoodad hole saw cut in front of the main intake snorkel is a "bad" thing.

Seriously, all NASA geometry aside, the stock inlet in the fiberglass panel is a tiny rectangle and we open it up a little.
How can this be a bad thing?

Lets email DieselPower and have them dyno test it like they did bio-diesel

Quick Reply: Zoodad mod and rain issues ??