12K+ 5R Towing Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 10:27 AM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Herbie02PSD
Since I am supposed to be a mind reader or read between the lines, maybe you should do the same Matt. Your story seems to change though, just yesterday you had a F250 listed in your sig now you have a F350 DRW Tow Boss?!?!, trailer weight changes from 18k to 13k, seems funny to me all the changes you made and I am not the only one to catch your coverups see the post above. I am not sure where to start or what to believe with your threads so I responded too what you had written.

This was no coverup I clearly stated that that was a typo and I can not edit it. To make it clear my trailer weighs 12,999 lbs dry. I can not think of being able to but more than 3k worth of cargo . So my trailer is not overweight or illeagal.

My current truck is going to be replaced really soon (read my sig) and it was used to tow the 33' Alfa 5er it only towed the new 5er once. I purchased my new 5er just before I deployed to Iraq (I return in 3 weeks) and did not have the time nor the money to buy a truck capable of towing it at the time (it was a last minute deal). My new 5er has only been towed from the selling dealer to my residence during Southern Californias rush (3) hour traffic I hit 45 mph when the traffic (going 55 plus) finally opened up at Camp Pendleton the rest of the time less than 20mph) and I made numerous stops to check everything out. Is it right? NO, but alot safer than what you seem to think is ok and practice. My truck pulled the trailer fine, but I would hate to see what would happen if I had to make an emergency stop or emergency lane change at speed or going downhill even with my vast and knowledgeable driving experience helping me.

Let me get this straight . Is it your vast and knowledgeable driving experience or that you put a disclaimier on your post make you a safer driver to pull overweight and unsafe ?

I clearly stated I was over as you did too, but the difference is you think its ok for you to tow over and drive recklessly thinking your driving experience is going to get you out of a manufacturers design limit or any number of other uncrontrollable things. See the "Am I being realistic" thread for further evidence of how a driver is somehow magically capable of controlling a overloaded truck courtesy of Matt.

Again my truck is not overloaded as is yours but your the safe driver.

Yes we are BOTH wrong, you just more so!

okay I agree here too. I speed and your more overloaded than I am.

In my post I stressed safety numerous times and driving within the speed limit especially going downhills and so has alot of other posters in this thread. The way I look at it most people are going to tow over their vehicles limits and not upgrade their truck. If they are going to tow over we should use our experience to help them and stress speed limits and safety, we should NOT promote or encourage people to also speed or drive recklessly while towing over.

We do agree on one thing, Hijacking this thread. I appologize to Wheatina and everyone else for doing so. This will be my last post to this thread unless I have something constructive to add to help others. PM me if you have more to say on this matter, thanks.
If I have given the idea that its ok to be overloaded and unsafe I didn't mean to. I was only saying what experience I had towing my trailer . Its up to each and everyone of us to know what we can or can't tow. I have over 21 years of professional driving experience . I drive a 100' ladder truck that weighs over 70,000 lbs. Yes 70,000 lbs not a typo.
Is it overweight ? Yes
Do I speed ? Yes everyday
Have I been in an accident ? No

I do know how to drive very heavy and fast trucks. I have been to more driving classes than you can think of. When I state I can handle my truck I don't think its a problem at all.

But you guys know more about me than I do so it must be true.
Watch out if you ever get in my town . I'm that guy behind the wheel of an overweight and speeding truck going to a fire. You never know if there is a hole in the road or if someone cuts me off. Then again I do pretty well in an emergency .

Old 05-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 813 Likes on 622 Posts
C'mon Matt, if you have driven the ladder truck then you went to class for it.
Where did they ever in that class tell you it was ok to drive an overweight vehicle downhill at 90 mph? It doesn't matter that you drive that ladder truck for a living, that's a whole different scenario and rig. You have lights, sirens, and the truck built to handle that sort of thing.
90 in an RV??? You must have graduated the class or you wouldn't be certified for the ladder truck, so I know you are smart enough to remember the difference.

Old 05-13-2007, 12:28 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
C'mon Matt, if you have driven the ladder truck then you went to class for it.
Where did they ever in that class tell you it was ok to drive an overweight vehicle downhill at 90 mph? It doesn't matter that you drive that ladder truck for a living, that's a whole different scenario and rig. You have lights, sirens, and the truck built to handle that sort of thing.
90 in an RV??? You must have graduated the class or you wouldn't be certified for the ladder truck, so I know you are smart enough to remember the difference.
I never said the two were one in the same. Were not comparing apples to apples are we ?

I figured out that most of you guys can't handle this senerio but I can't drive 55 .Remember folks don't try this at home.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:14 PM
mike93
Elder User
don't plan on doing 90 mph towing a trailer west bound I-90 thru North Bend as we will give out reckless driving tickets!

Old 05-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by mike93
don't plan on doing 90 mph towing a trailer west bound I-90 thru North Bend as we will give out reckless driving tickets!
I'll bet you get a lot of them, that hill that they come down off of is miles long.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:28 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by firesoutmatt
I never said the two were one in the same. Were not comparing apples to apples are we ?

I figured out that most of you guys can't handle this senerio but I can't drive 55 .Remember folks don't try this at home.
You were the one that mentioned you drive a ladder truck, I didn't know that until you said it.
IMO this makes driving unsafely all the more rediculous because the number one word in those sort of classes is SAFETY FIRST.
Anyway, I'm done debating this. You've succeeded in showing me and the others here your disregard for public safety by bragging how good it is to go barrelling down a mountainside in an overloaded RV. The only reason you got away with it is because nothing bad happened. It could just as easily have been different if you had a bearing failure and lost a wheel, or hit a sharp rock that punctures a front wheel, or hit a dip in the road that gives too much bump steer, or a panicked deer runs out in front of you, or someone decides to change lanes in front of you without checking thier mirrors or blind spot.
I've said enough.
Reply if you want, I will read it but will not answer to this thread anymore.

Last edited by Kwikkordead; 05-13-2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:01 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mike93
Believe me Mike that was about a freak happening . I didn't realize it untill I looked down at the speedo how fast I was going.I never said I drive that fast all the time. Seemed like everybody was in a hurry that day and traffic was flowing that fast.

I was making a point in sarcasm and it has grown out of site. Its amazing how a typo could cause so much hate. I wonder if I was in a GT500 instead of a F-350 it would have raised so much stink.

I should put a disclaimer in my answers from now on to keep from getting flamed to death.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:27 PM
dpwilson
Elder User
Any way to take away rep points?

Last edited by dpwilson; 12-17-2007 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:54 AM
Diesel Man 03
Senior User
Enough!!! NO MORE ON THIS SUBJECT!!!!!!

Old 12-18-2007, 09:41 AM
jomac11
Elder User
Examples of people being overloaded and ticketed:

1) My uncle, 2500hd chevy, loaded down 20ft gooseneck stock trailer, pulled over right before the stockyards (imagine that) they put him on portable scales, he was over the 24,000 rating on his tags, got a big ticket. Luckily for him, they allowed him to go the next 1/4 mile or so and unload, rather than making him wait for someone to enough weight off his truck.

2) Good friend of mine, same scenario, same thing happened, except they were also dipping tanks, and he got nailed for running off-road diesel at the same time...