Ford Y Block Book

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 07:18 PM
BLP
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Y Block Book

I just spotted THE FORD Y BLOCK BOOK on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Y-Block-repair-and-rebuild-book_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34221QQihZ001QQite mZ110118409927QQrdZ1

In case someone needs a copy.....they are out of print.

BLP

Old 04-22-2007, 08:42 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
didn't know they were out of print, I have been trying to find mine recently. No luck yet.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:08 PM
BLP
New User
Yup, they sure are. I found an ad for one on Amazon for $178.00 ....... but they were out of stock and print. So I checked some of the FORD F100 suppliers that listed them in their catalogs and I was told that they are out of print and will not be available in the future.

BLP

Old 04-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
I have a copy somewhere. I think. Doesn't Mac's have them??

Old 04-26-2007, 10:26 PM
cordespc
Freshman User
I've been watching that book as well.....I think it's time someone made a couple copies...you know, for workshop use, so the original wouldn't get dirty.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Dave58
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really am having trouble dealing with the price this book continues to go for. I am an engine-novice in the process of rebuilding my first V-8, a 292 Y-block. I read that this book has some glaring inaccuracies yet it still demands top-dollar. That price has to be driven by people who never intend to rebuild a Y-block. I'm finding good general engine rebuild information for Ford and Chevy small-blocks at my local bookstore. I'm finding accurate engine specs in a reasonably priced reproduction shop manual. I'm finding good Y-block specific advice from internet sites like Mummert and Y-block Page. If that book is so darn valuable wouldn't the publisher profit by reprinting.

Stop the madness! Don't bid on that book!

Old 04-27-2007, 03:46 PM
wild.bunch
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dave, I agree. I think that just buying the shop manual can help a lot, altho I did buy the book myself years ago. It does have inaccuracies and the parts numbers suggested for identification are horribly useless for tracking them down. Mummert's site is much more useful in this regard, and also for giving ACCURATE specs for things like combustion chamber sizes.

Cars and Parts had a really good book on "Resurrecting Vicky" that I picked up for $5 somewhere that was pretty good. But anyhow, one would want to get a shop manual because the rest of the car/truck still needs to be worked on. Also, an old hardbound Motor Manual can be pretty good, too. Used ones can be obtained at swap meets from folks who specialize in selling printed automotive materials.

The big trick, I think, is making sure that the chamfer on the cam thrust plate is faced toward the block. Counting the links in the timing chain is pointed out in many books, without the error that the Y Block book shows. Keeping the heads sorted right and left (they are the same, but one has the bushing in it for the temp sensor) and making sure that the head gaskets are also important points to remember.

If someone has worked on an FE, those skills come in handy for dealing with the valve train.

Making sure that the oil pickup is sealed is about the last Y-only type of thing I can think of.

If someone subscribes to Y Block Mag, or picks up some of the back copies, most all of this is covered somewhere.

It is a pity that the book actually has so little content in it and includes the errors.

I know that when one needs information, they need information, and I felt like I'd been raped when I paid $20 for mine, way back when. But I have to admit, paying $152 + $6.50 S&H seems a bit . . .

Well, I think I'll just stop and let anyone else fill in the blank.

Last edited by wild.bunch; 04-27-2007 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Y-Blockhead
Elder User
You guys are all correct... the book does have inaccuracies and mistakes.

But I believe the attraction to the book IS that it is rare and out of print and a collector or restorer would like to own it for that reason.

Besides I rather enjoy the book for all it's faults, after all it is the only published book that deals with Y-Blocks exclusively.

Y-Blockhead

Oh, and by the way, I have two copies. One that I read and one that has never been out of the wrapper. (Probably one of the last ones that Dennis Carpenter sold, $18.00 + S&H).

Old 04-29-2007, 08:57 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Yikes, Amazon.com has one. For $175.50. I went and found mine. Do I gotta keep it in the safe deposit box or what.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:42 PM
luke-gr
Senior User
I checked back on that right before it ended and nearly fell over! Oh well. I did buy a shop manual off Ebay for reasonable and it tells me what I need to know I reckon. Unfortunately, I looooove books.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:09 PM
kooper909
Elder User
What a ripoff ...

Isn't there enough demand for Y-Block info to justify a reprint, or a new Y-block book?

Old 07-24-2007, 02:55 AM
Saccwby
Freshman User
The Y block book can be found through Dennis Carpenter Reproductions for under $20

Old 07-24-2007, 08:42 AM
juterbock
Senior User
If I remember correctly one of the hotrod magazines did a full write up on a Y-block rebuild that was probably more accurate than the book. Combine that with the info in the Y mag, Mummerts site (plus I believe he is very helpful with questions), this site plus the y-block discussion group (searching that thing is horrible but there are a LOT of very knowledgable Y people over there).

Old 07-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Y-Blockhead
Elder User
Carpenter LISTS the book in his catalog but has none to sell you...

Old 07-24-2007, 10:18 AM
46yblock
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Book

The book is a good reference for those of us with bad memories, and instructive for the newbie. Thanks to the demand I sold mine and bought a new set of pistons with the proceeds. Kept a copy though .

As far as motor assembly is concerned, my 1956 truck shop manual is equal to the Y-block book I think.

Quick Reply: Ford Y Block Book