1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Problem with truck. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 09:37 PM
prerunner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Problem with truck. Please help

Ok its a 1994 2.3l ranger ext cab. Alright well this truck is killing me. When I was driving on the freeway my truck flashed the check engine light then it went off. Then my truck lost a lot of power. Also my truck began to overheat (which my truck never does, it actually usually runs very cold). So I am guessing my truck is running lean. I have checked the O2 sensor and the ECT sensor. Also when the truck gets to about 55mph the trucks acts like its lost a cylinder and it kinda "bucks" and does not have enough power to get above 60mph. But this is only when the truck is at normal operating temp. When the truck is cold it seems to run normal. What other sensors are there to check. Please let me know any of your thoughts. Thanks

Old 04-18-2007, 01:17 AM
CougarXR02
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
standard or auto transmission?

Old 04-18-2007, 03:32 AM
prerunner
Senior User
it is manual tranny

Old 04-18-2007, 04:53 AM
streethealer
Senior User
Changed your fuel filter lately? A clogged filter can cause all of the symptoms that you listed. Just a thought...Good luck

Old 04-18-2007, 05:17 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Pull the codes.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:13 AM
prerunner
Senior User
I did and got nothing. I dont know how that happened since the check engine light flashed but when I pulled them it said the system was clear.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:15 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It said it was clear as in no codes popped, or it popped a code 11?

Did you use a code reader or the paperclip method to flash the CEL?

Old 04-18-2007, 05:19 PM
prerunner
Senior User
it flashed code 11 and I used a code reader. The first time it flashed that I didnt rev the engine so i did it again and it was all clear.

Old 04-20-2007, 04:53 AM
prerunner
Senior User
Ok so tonight the check engine flashed again so I drove home and checked it. These are the codes that I got.
118: Coolant Temp sensor circuit above maximum voltage/indicates below -40 degrees F
211: Profile Ignition Pick-up circuit failure
214: cylinder identification (CID) circuit failure

Ok so I know what 118 is and I cant believe it is out of range. I just put in a new sensor like 2 months ago (although it was a crappy autozone one) but I checked it before and it was in range. Does anyone know what the other two codes mean. Thanks for the help

Old 04-20-2007, 05:18 AM
prerunner
Senior User
ok so I have been looking up info and it seems that code 214 means that the Camshaft position sensor is bad. Would this also cause code 211 to occur. Please help me out. With gas at $3.50 a gallon here I cant handle getting the bad gas mileage I am getting now. Thanks

Old 04-20-2007, 06:22 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
The fact that you are getting both a camshaft position code and a crankshaft postion code leads me to think it could be a failing ignition control module (DIS module).

Old 04-20-2007, 09:43 AM
prerunner
Senior User
I am also wondering could it be the Knock sensor. I found that one of my engine mounts is completely blown out. I believe this just happened. Could the engine be retarding the ignition over and over or is that not possible. Also do DIS module just go bad like that and cause something like this to happen. I dont know I would have thought if it went bad more stuff would be going wrong. Thanks

Old 04-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
I doubt it's the knock sensor.

Ignition modules tend to get flaky when they get too hot. You mentioned your engine is running hot, so maybe it's all related...?

Also, on the '94 2.3L, both the camshaft position and crankshaft position signals are generated by a "dual hall-effect" unit, which means that it is essentially a single sensor, located down at the front of the crankshaft behind the pully. If the dual hall-effect unit fails, it's possible to get both cam and crank sensor codes together.

And, a timing belt that has slipped a tooth could also adversely affect both the cam and crank sensor signals.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:21 PM
prerunner
Senior User
Exclamation

OK I was driving it last night and the check engine came on again and this time stayed on. I was at like 3200rpm and when I upshifted to 3rd the check engine light immediately went off. Does this help. Also I dont get where you said they are essentially one sensor. In my manual and also on autozone.com it shows the camshaft and crankshaft sensors being two different ones.
http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,.../selectZip.htm
http://www.autozone.com/R,APP217727/...ductDetail.htm

So you are thinking that it is the crankshaft sensor that is bad correct. How hard is it to use the balancer pulley for these sensors.

Last edited by prerunner; 04-21-2007 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Here's what my '94 Ford Manual has to say about the 2.3L DIS:
Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP)

The crankshaft position sensor (CKP sensor) is a Dual Hall Effect magnetic switch, which is actuated by the dual vane armature on the crankshaft pulley hub. The crankshaft position sensor generates two separate signals, PIP (profile ignition pick-up) and CID (cylinder identification). The PIP signal provides base timing and rpm information, while the CID signal is used to synchronize the ignition coils. [The CID signal is more commonly called the "camshaft position signal"].

The Dual Hall crankshaft sensor contains two hall digital output devices (PIP, CID) in one package. The sensor is located on a bracket mounted near the crankshaft damper.

Two rotary vane cups (or wheels) are mounted on the damper and are used to trigger the hall sensors. The vane cups are made of ferrous metal. When the window of a cup is in the air gap between the hall device and the permanent magnet, a magnetic flux field is completed from the magnet through the Hall device and back to the magnet. This condition results in a low (zero volt) output signal. As the crankshaft turns, a tooth on the cup will move into the air gap. The magnetic field will be shunted by the tooth reventing it from reaching the hall device and the output signal will change from a low to a high (B+).

The PIP cup has two teeth resulting in two positive going edges each revolution of the crankshaft, and the CID cup has one tooth and generates one positive edge per revolution of the crankshaft. CID is used by the ICM to enable it to select the proper coil to fire. The PCM tells the ignition control module (ICM) when to fire, and the ICM has selects which coil based on CID signal.
I think it's either a bad DIS Module, a bad Dual Hall Effect sensor, or the timing belt has slipped.

Last edited by Rockledge; 04-21-2007 at 02:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Problem with truck. Please help