Sponsored by: DP Tuner

problems 03 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 07:26 AM
rjzook
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problems 03 7.3

I have a 2003 F350 7.3. The problem is the first part of 1/4 inch of the gas pedal it hesitate alittle bit. Even while cruising. The dealership can't find out what's wrong with it. It doesn't throw a code. I have changed the cam sensor that didn't work. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:30 AM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Have you changed the throttle position sensor on the pedal?

Old 04-13-2007, 07:32 AM
rjzook
New User
No I will try that.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:51 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The TPS is part of the throttle pedal assembly, so you can't just change out the TPS by itself.

On most trucks, it's normal to have no response on the pedal for the first 1/4-1/2 inch. However, once you do get throttle response, it should be smooth and easy. If you roll into the pedal, get a response, then it suddenly cuts out and tries to idle, then the only fix is to replace the pedal assembly. You can pick it up here for $120, and the swap will take you 15 minutes.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:00 AM
rgconway
Freshman User
Rather than changing the TPS, it should be easy to test. It is a potentiometer (pot) with 3 connections. You can test the pot with an ohm meter by connecting across pairs of pins and moving the lever through full travel as follows: (Pin numbers from EVTM, not verified)

Pins 1-3 fixed, steady resistance
Pins 1-2 and 2-3 resistance should vary SMOOTHLY thru the full range, move the lever slowly looking for any breaks. Focus on the range where you have the problems, looking for a break or dead-spot.

If you get a clean sweep, I would conclude that the TPS is OK.

HTH,

Bob

Old 04-13-2007, 09:44 AM
pullinair
Elder User
Jody can fix it for you!

Just a side note, I have that quarter inch "no go feeling" when I am in stock mode. As a matter of fact I always had it even when the truck was bone stock. But the power comes on when you get past it. Then as soon as I swith to the 60hp or 80hp programs, the pedal is real touchy. Switch back to the stock and it is there again.

I think it all attributes to the space left for timing advancement and the room to add fuel to the engine in the CPU.

I have realy been dealing with this pedal feeling in stock mode when commuting to school everyday. I leave it stock mode becuase the engine doesnt come up to temp in a 5 mile one-way trip. ( I do not know where I inhereted this patience from!)

The first time I have even used any of Jody's programs in the past six months was last weekend when I had a long trip down to moms house and the engine had time to warm up. It was like getting Jody's chip for the first time all over again!

Last edited by pullinair; 04-13-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:38 AM
rjzook
New User
Thank for everyone's input.