Are Fifth-wheel Trailers Ever Unstable ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 06:05 PM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is why I like goosenecks No twist needed, hehe... the hitch rocks back and forth on the ball without locking the truck and trailer together.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:45 PM
acheda
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not have a problem with my coupler - it has plenty of capacity, is well-made, and fits the truck I already have. The kingpin in an inverted setup is on the towing vehicle and uses a full size kingpin like what is used on the big trucks and it pushes in flush with the deck in a second, so that is no problem either.

The previous owner used the same fifth-wheel setup for many, many miles. The only difference is that his setup did not oscillate/rock. He felt VERY STRONGLY that the stability provided by a non-oscillating/rocking fifth-wheel was better than that provided by a rocker fifth-wheel or a ball-type gooseneck. This is a guy with his own Peterbuilt/lowboy who hauls machinery as a side business and teaches Ag Implement design in an Ag Engineering department.

I know what the frame-twisting problems are and I plan on unlocking the rocking axis on my hitch when maneuvering on uneven surfaces. I also appreciate (from theory, not from experience), that a non-rocking system is going to be more stable in extreme cases such as high cross-winds. A very high percentage of 18-wheelers are non-oscillating all the time.

I am still looking for those rocker folks who have experiences to share about when they choose to lock out their rockers. I appreciate that many of you who have goosenecks with ball couplers or full-time rockers that cannot be locked out are happy with them - I am not trying to say you should not be, but the question I am asking is for experiences from the people with non-rockers or rockers that can be locked out.

Put simply: When do you lock out a rocker?

If there was no need, this option would not exist.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:16 PM
acheda
Elder User
Here is a link so you can see the Binkley coupler - it is the FW0001 at the bottom of the page:

http://www.thehollandgroupinc.com/Portal/Products/FifthWheels/Models/LightCommercialSeries/

It can be used in the "normal" position on the tow vehicle or inverted on the trailer. There is a non-oscillating version and an oscillating version, with no lockout. I plan on adding my own lockout, which may be remotely activated, depending on what I learn on this thread.

Holland does not seem to be trying to compete in the RV market, so these couplers are not something you see every day.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:22 PM
95van
Senior User
Since you ask for input from those with non rockers as well - I have both types of hitches. Not really much to add though, since pulling either my 20' flatbed or 24.5' camper seems just as stable with either hitch; and I've pulled both fully loaded at highway speeds. 7500 for the flatbed. I could only guess that you'd only see a difference with larger trailers ?

Expounding on the idea you liked from 04Superduty, I welded square tube jacks to the rear of the flat bed - not only supports the rear while loading, but makes it real easy to deal with a flat tire as well.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:38 PM
acheda
Elder User
Thanks, 95van, I am thinking that high profile or high-center-of-gravity loads are where locking truck & trailer together will make a noticable difference in sway stability. I probably will make a manual lockout for those occasional circumstances. Is your flatbed over the top of your tires?

Old 04-17-2007, 04:17 PM
95van
Senior User
No, so that is helping to keep the weight low. How heavy are you thinking of hauling ? Keep in mind there will be an economy of scale when you compare - although this is only a 7500 lb capacity trailer, I'm pulling it with no trouble with a mid size regular cab shortbed pickup - so you should be able to expect more from your full size ! I see a lot of trailers camping at the races (NHIS - in Guiness book of world records as largest gathering of campers anywhere) and the ones I see that have lockable rockers are the tallest, largest campers - real monsters. I think you've got this pretty well thought out.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:31 PM
acheda
Elder User
95van, thanks for the info,

The last tandem-axle I had, I intentionally built with rubber torsion springs and it gave me a very low deck height, just so I could keep the center of gravity (CG) low. It made a great car-hauler, but unfortunately was not suitable for easy loading with my fork-lift. Since I have been hauling with my flat-bed F-350 for a couple of years, I have a desire to make my next trailer the same deck height. I do think that for my heavy & high CG loads, I will benefit from locking out the rock axis when out on the interstate making time. Thanks for confirming my thinking.

Most of my loads will not challenge the system I have in mind, but sooner or later a heavy load always comes along . . .